Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Koa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2008, 05:22 PM
    New 8 week puppy not eating
    We just saved 2 puppies from an animal shelter on Friday, Dec 5, 2008. They were from the same litter and they appear to be some lab and shepard mix. One of the puppies is doing fine and eating well and gaining weight.

The other puppy has our attention and will be taking to the vet possibly tomorrow. She has not eaten since we have brought her home 2 days ago. She looked healthy when we got her and now appears thin and losing weight. Some datails since we brought her home:

1. We are using the same food (IAMS) that the shelter said they were using.

2. The first night, I thought she was sniffing the other dogs poop but before I caught on, she was actually eating it. She was hard to get away and keep away form that area even after I have removed the poop.

3. The same behavior occurred the next day so now I take them out seprate so I can clean up before I take her (Kiha) out .

4. Yesterday, she started to get the runs and throwing up. We were concerned so we called a vet after normal vet hours. She wanted us to bring her in and tested for porvo. I looked porvo up on the internet and she does not show any blood in her excrement. I do not believe she has provo but we are keeping an eye on her.

5. Late yesterday, we decided to try some can dog food and she went after it and ate about half a cup. We were pleased thinking she was now eating but she threw it up about an hour later and she got a severe case of diarrha.

6. We got up and took both puppies out at 3 am this morning and Kiha drank a great sum of water, normal since the throwing up and diarrha causes dehydration. She later thew the water up and did that until about 8 this morning. She is now drinking plenty of water and keeping it down. It also appears that the diarrha is starting to clear up.

7. She is still not eating any food so we mixed some pedialyte with some milk made for puppies and fed her twice using a syringe. We have fed her about 4 oz. and she appears to be keeping this down.

8. As expected from not eating, her energy level has gone down to the point where all she does now is sleep except to get water and go outside to potty.

We are taking her to the vet for her normal chaeck up and vaccinations but should I be more concerned about her transition to her new home. I have read a lot about new puppies and provo and some of the info I got from this site has really helped.

Kiha and Koa
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2008, 05:35 PM

She probably has worms. Please take her to the vet asap and have her checked out. Puppies can't go very long without proper food. The vet can run simple tests and you'll know within an hour what her problem is.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 8, 2008, 06:15 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Koa View Post
    We just saved 2 puppies from an animal shelter on Friday, Dec 5, 2008. They were from the same litter and they appear to be some lab and shepard mix. One of the puppies is doing fine and eating well and gaining weight.

The other puppy has our attention and will be taking to the vet possibly tomorrow. She has not eaten since we have brought her home 2 days ago. She looked healthy when we got her and now appears thin and losing weight. Some datails since we brought her home:

1. We are using the same food (IAMS) that the shelter said they were using.

2. The first night, I thought she was sniffing the other dogs poop but before I caught on, she was actually eating it. She was hard to get away and keep away form that area even after I have removed the poop.

3. The same behavior occurred the next day so now I take them out seprate so I can clean up before I take her (Kiha) out .

4. Yesterday, she started to get the runs and throwing up. We were concerned so we called a vet after normal vet hours. She wanted us to bring her in and tested for porvo. I looked porvo up on the internet and she does not show any blood in her excrement. I do not believe she has provo but we are keeping an eye on her.

5. Late yesterday, we decided to try some can dog food and she went after it and ate about half a cup. We were pleased thinking she was now eating but she threw it up about an hour later and she got a severe case of diarrha.

6. We got up and took both puppies out at 3 am this morning and Kiha drank a great sum of water, normal since the throwing up and diarrha causes dehydration. She later thew the water up and did that until about 8 this morning. She is now drinking plenty of water and keeping it down. It also appears that the diarrha is starting to clear up.

7. She is still not eating any food so we mixed some pedialyte with some milk made for puppies and fed her twice using a syringe. We have fed her about 4 oz. and she appears to be keeping this down.

8. As expected from not eating, her energy level has gone down to the point where all she does now is sleep except to get water and go outside to potty.

We are taking her to the vet for her normal chaeck up and vaccinations but should I be more concerned about her transition to her new home. I have read alot about new puppies and provo and some of the info I got from this site has really helped.

Kiha and Koa

It's not provo, it's parvo, so I'm not sure what you were looking up. Most dogs have diarrhea with parvo but not all.

And "Twinkie" is right - puppies need proper food and water. Something is obviously wrong here and both dogs need to be seen by a Vet in the event it's something which can be transmitted to the other dog - plus, the first dog is obviously distressed.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Our new 8 week old puppy not eating properly [ 1 Answers ]

We have just brought home a 8 week old white lab puppy. He is coming around and is becoming playful, and drinking and eating periodically but not eating as I have seen most puppies. Is he just getting used to his new environment? My husband thinks that he is losing weight but I think he may...

8-week old maltese puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I need help with my puppy. She is a 9-week old, 2 lb. maltese. She has not eaten or had anything to drink for 3 days now. I am going to the vet this afternoon. They said to give her some time, because she could be traumatized from the travel to my home, she was shipped across the country. ...

Seven-week old puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a new puppy a beagle and terrier mix, she is not eating as well as she did a week ago. I am concerned, is this normal behaviour? Please help. Thanks in advance.

13 Week Pekingnese Puppy not eating [ 1 Answers ]

I have a new puppy that I borught home 4 days ago. She hasn't really been eating much. I bought the same food she was being fed at her old home and have even tried other approach. I just worry that she will beccome ill. Will if be fine to supplement her dog food dry/wet with milk replacement?

8 week lab puppy not eating [ 2 Answers ]

I got a 5 week old lab puppy which became familiar in 2-3 days. He is now 8 weeks and got his first vaccination 2 week back. He has also got the de-worming. Now he has stopped eating. He just has few (very few) water or milk and became weak. Also he is not as playful as he used to be. We tried...

View more questions Search