Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Feb 26, 2009, 02:16 PM

Simone, I really don't know, I'd have to do some more research on that.

I know that not all store bought pet foods are good for your pets, but dog parts, road kill, collars and cats?

I'll ask around, do some research and get back to you with my findings. It may take a few days so bear with me, okay? :)
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 26, 2009, 03:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by simoneaugie View Post
    I may have missed another reference to this in this thread. But, I had to share.

I very recently read that much of dog and cat food is made from "meal." The protein part of dry kibble is made by boiling down bodies of those very dogs and cats we saw euthanized and put in barrels, including their flea collars, regular collars and tags. Vet euthanized bodies are sometimes handled the same, sent to a rendering plant. Zoos send in bodies too. We won't get into road kill...

If that doesn't freak you out, consider that the chemical used in euthanizing animals is not broken down by the rendering process. Much of store bought dry kibble is not "complete" as it only has to say complete for certain nutrients. The rules for human food are much stricter.

I am considering making my own dog and cat food from now on. Is all of what I read true?
    I definitely know about this Simone, and it is likely that you heard this in this or another thread from me, and likely from others also. Although it's definitely not all kibble, they are some low end brands that practise this. Although I haven't heard about the collars and such, I have heard about the road kill and the use of dog parts used.

In the research I've read, and reports I've seen on TV, there was no one particular brand(s) that were named. I just know that I will not buy my dog food from a supermarket anymore, and I even question some that are in the pet stores. I'm sure there are many that are quality brands, but I've chosen to feed my dog an all natural holistic and organic brand from a company that provides info on everything that goes into the making of their food.

I have made my own homemade treats and meals for Niki, but now I mostly stick to making the treats sometimes, with ingredients that I've made sure are safe. It's often a tough call, because as we all know, unless you buy organic meats and vegetables, which is very expensive, even the meats, poultry, and vegetables in the supermarkets that we eat, have been shot up with hormones, among other things, and all of the pesticides and fertilizers that are in the foods that we all buy. It's not necessarily good for us either, but that's a totally different discussion.

My point is, is that you find a good and nutritional dog food that is geared to the particular digestive and healthful needs of your dogs. People food is not always the answer, unless an extensive amout of research is done to find out what is good and what's not for your dog. There are many good dog foods out there, it's just a matter of finding a good one so you are not feeding your dog road kill or parts of another dog!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 3, 2009, 01:57 PM
    [QUOTE=Comments on this post
    ZoeMarie agrees: ice cream is GREAT for sore throats! lol. that's what I do. =).[/QUOTE]

Make it maple walnut. I'll leave the front door unlocked. Put it next to the bottle of whiskey that I've asked "Alty" to bring over. Bring your own spoon. And glass.
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Mar 3, 2009, 02:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Make it maple walnut. I'll leave the front door unlocked. Put it next to the bottle of whiskey that I've asked "Alty" to bring over. Bring your own spoon. And glass.
    It's a plan! Lol
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Mar 3, 2009, 02:40 PM

I scream... I scream... I scream for ice cream! :p Can I have chocolate chunk, and some grand marnier? Yuummmo! :D

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breed information,breeders= Dogo argentino [ 10 Answers ]

I've been hunting around for a large breed of dog for ages now. And I've come across a breed I find very intresting and amazing Its called the Dogo Argentino. I was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding a breeder that's somewhat close to me.. I live in The valley in NS and I realize the...

Backyard mud in dog pen [ 2 Answers ]

I have part of my backyard fenced off for my dog. She has worn down part of the area and now it is all dirt. It becomes a small mud pit when it rains. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Someone suggested filling the area with mulch. Has anyone heard of this?

Labrador Breeders [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 4 1/2 year old pure breed male chocolate lab. I am looking for a female pure breed lab in the Jacksonville area (or the surrounding area) that might be interested in breeding with him. Please let me know as soon as possible! Thanks!

Dog Breeders [ 2 Answers ]

I have been a large dog lover for many years and I was wondering if anyone knew of large dog dog breeders in ns... I've been looking for a rottweiler, pit bull, bull dog or boxer since the loss of my last dog... any help would be apprechated thanks in advance

View more questions Search