Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rubychild Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2008, 03:15 PM
    How do I get my dog to STOP PEEING.
    It's driving us insane. Our dog Jack is a 5-year-old shephard mix, about 40lbs, and has never done his business in the house save for a couple of poopy accidents if he didn't get let out in time (but NEVER pee). Over the last couple of months, though, we've come home to find HUGE pee areas on the carpet, and poop. He always does it in the same spot. After two back-to-back occasions when he had the opportunity outside but instead went on the carpet, we started putting him in our master bathroom when we went out. But we just discovered a NEW pee spot that he must have done WHILE WE WERE HOME. This is ridiculous! He's not an angry dog, or disobedient... he's a super big weenie and often doesn't want to go outside if it's cold or wet, but he's extremely obedient and I'm shocked that he did this while we were in the house. He normally comes and asks us to be let outside.

Any imput - mostly on how the heck to make him STOP?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 03:23 PM

Please take him to the vet to rule out physical problems such as a urinary tract infection (UTI).

Nov 21, 2008, 03:33 PM

I hadn't thought about an infection. Would that make him go inside as opposed to outside? He's not doing it all over the house - always in the same spot. And it's not just a little, like he was marking or accidentally let some go, or had incontenience problems - it's his full, normal load. He once did have a medical problem that caused him to be inconenint, but that time he came right over to my husband and peed in front of him. He was obvious about it.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Nov 21, 2008, 03:49 PM

Of course, it would "make" him go inside. When you got to go, you got to go! Being the well-behaved pup he is, he goes in the same place all the time.

I first would rule out something like that. Tell the vet about the situation and get his opinion if you find out it's not a UTI. It could be an ownership thing or a dominance thing or a warning thing. The vet would give suggestions for dealing with those.
    Silverfoxkit Posts: 798, Reputation: 264

Nov 21, 2008, 04:49 PM

I would also suggest cleaning his potty areas with good enzyme removing cleaners, to get rid of the scent flag drawing him to that place.

Nov 21, 2008, 04:52 PM
    We've cleaned with a homeade vinegar & baking soda concoction, which works all right, but with the size of the recent incidents we're now using Nature's Miracle, which is supposed to remove that enzyme, I believe.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can't stop my dog from peeing all over my house! [ 18 Answers ]

I have 1-1/2 year old male rat terrier who urinates in every room in my house! My boyfriend and I have trained him to whine at the door when he needs to go out, which he does do, and we will bring him for a walk and he will do his business outside, we will reward him with a treat after he goes...

How do I get my dog to stop peeing when he is excited? [ 5 Answers ]

My dog sees me and gets excited and sometimes will pee no matter where he is. Is there any way to brake him of this?

My dog can't stop peeing [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there I have a 4month old dog he goes out to do his business then when he comes back in all he does is wee its as if he can't stop he will have a wee and by the time I've cleaned it up he will av done another wee. Help what's wrong with my dog does he have a weak bladder.:confused: :confused:

How do I get my dog's to stop peeing in our new house? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband and I just moved into a brand new apartment, Our 2 female dogs ( one bassett hound and one min pin ) have started peeing in the house. Now the husband says the dog's have to stop it or they have to go! I don't know why they would do such a thing as they get let out several times a day to...

View more questions Search