Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kayla_Johnson Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jun 19, 2008, 03:44 PM
    Dad refuses.
    I am 17 years old. I became pregnant when I was 16. I now have a baby girl who is almost 8 weeks old. My father kicked me out of the house when I was 4 months pregnant. He is now refusing to re-sign me up for insurance. I need the insurance because I need to go to a doctor for a few medical problems that I am having right now, and to also get an IUD put in, because my pregnancy insurance is running out. My mother is living with him and is fighting for her disability because she is unable to work because of brain aneurisms. She can't sign me up for the insurance because she is living under HIS roof. What are my options? And if I have to take legal action against him, will my mother and nephew that lives with him be effected?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 03:57 PM
    You mother and father can be charged for kicking you out of the house at 16 and still having you out, In fact legally they can not kick you out.
    Plus they are liable for your medical expenses, So see the doctor and have them send your dad the bill. They are responsible for you till you are 18. ** in the US**

If you are living on your own, see the welfare (social worker) in your area and you should get ADC , aid for dependent children for your child, and most likely medicaid if you are of low income living on your own.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 03:58 PM
    What state do you live in ? That's going to make a big difference. When you had your baby there are a lot of states that consider you emancipated. If your in one of them then he most likely doesn't have to do anything for you anymore if that's what he chooses. How are you supporting yourself and the new one ? You might need to be involved with a social worker. Again depends on where you are as to what really applies in your case.

Jun 19, 2008, 04:18 PM
    I live in Indiana. My mother had no say so in the matter. She has been trying to get my father to let me back in. And I have tried going to the doctor and getting my own insurance, and they will not let me. My daughter is taken care of. And my father will not let my mother help me anymore. My uncle (who I am currently living with) and my daughters father are helping support her. She is on Medicaid. I was on medicaid because my father refuses to get a job, since he was fired for not going to work. He is ALSO claiming me and my daughter on his foodstamps, and we aren't living there.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jun 19, 2008, 04:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kayla_Johnson
    I live in Indiana. My mother had no say so in the matter. She has been trying to get my father to let me back in. And I have tried going to the doctor and getting my own insurance, and they will not let me. My daughter is taken care of. And my father will not let my mother help me anymore. My uncle (who I am currently living with) and my daughters father are helping support her. She is on Medicaid. I was on medicaid because my father refuses to get a job, since he was fired for not going to work. He is ALSO claiming me and my daughter on his foodstamps, and we arent living there.

There are no guidelines for emancipation in Indiana. It's on a case by case basis. Your parents are responsible for you until you reach the age of majority unless either you get emancipated or they file to emancipate you.

If they do not want responsibility for you they can petition the Court to emancipate you. Some of the grounds might be that you are not under their custody and control and they don't want responsibility for you or your legal debts; that they cannot control you; that you are a run away.

You can likewise petition to be emancipated. If you want them to support you, sign you up on their insurance, whatever the problem is, you can file to force them to support you and they can (as I said) respond with a petition to emancipate you.

If your father is collecting food stamps for you and your daughter, that's a crime. I just don't know where you want to go with that.

I would suggest you speak to a legal representative and decide how you want to proceed.

Where are you living now?

Jun 19, 2008, 04:42 PM
    I am currently living with my uncle and my daughters fauther. The uncle was once related to my through marriage and through my half sister, but now it is just through my half sister.
    smokedetector Posts: 368, Reputation: 56

Jun 19, 2008, 04:47 PM
    Ya this is another one of those "call the courts and report fraud" cases. As far as the other, I'm no expert but I would assume 18=legal, anything before that they are responsible for you.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jun 19, 2008, 04:53 PM
    But of course you mother has a say, she can open the door, and let you in, She chooses not to so she does not have to deal with your father.
    I am sorry but to me she is as much to blame, since she will not fight for you to let you in.
    stinawords Posts: 2,071, Reputation: 150
    Ultra Member

Jun 19, 2008, 06:09 PM
    As already pointed out because you are in Indiana your parents are still responsible. However, this also means that you may not get all the medical stuff you want such as an IUD. They are also not obligated to have you covered on their medical insurance (they would probably want to because it could save them money on emergency visits) but all they have to do is cover your basic needs including your shelter until you are 18. You and the father of your baby are responsible for her needs. Most insurance companies I know of won't even cover an IUD or a lot of other things pregnancy related for the daughter (only for the wife and that is only if they pay for maternity coverage).

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Flapper refuses to go down in toilet [ 4 Answers ]

I recently installed my flapper in my toilet and it was working over the last couple of days. When I went to use it this morning, I noticed the flapper was not going down. In other words, it was not returning to the seat. It remained up. I loosened the chain and tightend the chain. Can...

He refuses to see that it's over [ 4 Answers ]

I have been married for 5 years and am not or never was in love the way you are supposed to be with my husband. We fight a lot and have different ways of parenting. Different religions, interests, just have nothing in common. He is always gone to his friends house. He yells at me and the kids on a...

My dog refuses to eat [ 16 Answers ]

I am at my wits end with my 6 year old husky/shepherd. She had not eaten for about 3 days so we took her to our local emergency vet almost two weeks ago. They did a series of x-rays and also a barium swallow on her. They saw, what they thought, was a mass, which was not allowing food to empty...

King Charles refuses to eat [ 5 Answers ]

I need help please. I have a king charles cavalier spaniel that refuses to eat. He is eight months old. We are on day three with out eating. He has had every test know to mankind over the past week and all are normal. He was last force fed three days ago and he is still not eating on his own. ...

View more questions Search