Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pumpkin_cat Posts: 14, Reputation: 0

Jun 19, 2008, 11:02 AM
    Pooping Everywhere!
    My cat, Pumpkin, is about 15-16 years old. He's got three legs and is orange. But however cute he may be, he's started randomly pooping around the house!

He has a litter box, which he occasionally uses. I think... But he still is pooping in places.

At first we thought that maybe it was because of the cat that visits us sometimes. They don't really like each other, but she hasn't visited in maybe a month or two. And besides, I didn't think cats pooped to mark their territory anyway. They would usually spray.

I'm not really sure so that's why I'm asking, but I also wonder if he could be under some kind of stress... Please give me advice on why Pumpkin may have suddenly stopped using his litter box! :confused:

Jun 19, 2008, 11:03 AM
    --- P.S ----

I'm getting really tired of having to clean it up too!!
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 19, 2008, 09:33 PM
    Is the box in a place that is hard to get to--does he need to go up or down stairs, or does it have high sides? The cat is likely arthritic at this age, and you may need to rethink how easy it is for him to use.
    If he ever had a really painful bowel movement, he may associate that with the box and be avoiding it.
    You need more than one litter box, not only for comfort but also because the cat may be getting slightly senile and is starting to forget exactly where the original box is located. Try setting them in the places he prefers to soil.
    Also experiment with different litters--clay, clumping, unscented, even potting soil.
    My three-legged cat Scooter sends his regards to Pumpkin!

Jun 20, 2008, 08:15 AM
    Thanks!
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

Jun 20, 2008, 08:18 PM
    I've had two cats that got old. One remembered exactly where the litter box was, but pooped on the way to it. The other didn't want to stay in the house because he pooped wherever he was sitting. It must have embarrassed him. Good luck with Pumpkin cat.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pooping in crate [ 6 Answers ]

Hi,I have an 11 week old bernese mountain dog whom we purchased at a pet store.He is having difficulty with pooping in his crate.We took him to the vet the day after we got him because he had runny diaherra with mucus and blood in it.The vet did a test on his poop and he had coccidia.He was treated...

My pup is pooping blood! [ 2 Answers ]

Help! My puppy is pooping blood! Could it be something she ate? Or is there something really wrong with her? She's still eating her food.

PUG is pooping under my bed? [ 3 Answers ]

my male pug puppy is 6 months old now and completely potty trained.. but for some reason he will do his complete job out side and once we come back in side... and i start cleaning or watching tv he will go under my bed and poop :eek: only no pee... why is this???:confused: i this do to...

Dog not pooping [ 4 Answers ]

Last week my dog was having having extremely runny BM. He was waking us up two times a night to let him out and he was producing a lot of poop, though in the day he produced little poop and more mucus. We went to the vet after three days and they did not find any parasities. They did prescibe...

Pooping in Crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 week old mini dachsund and crate training her. I have reduced the size of the crate to hopefully stop her from eliminating in her crate. When I crate her with her toys, etc. and I went upstairs. She crys and howls when I leave and hhen I came back down 10 minutes later she pooped in...

View more questions Search