Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lovemyyorkie Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2008, 06:49 PM
    Dog hates dog food
    I have a Yorkie that is 1.5 years old which I have had about a month. She does not like eating hard dog food and is really picky with even the wet dog food. She was sick when I first got her and needed to make sure she took her antibiotics so I made her ground turkey and rice. Now she is close to refusing dog food all the time. Any ideas or thoughts? How can I get her to eat her dog food? I feel bad when she doesn't eat and don't know if it is safe to keep feeding her ground turkey and rice.

Thanks
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Jun 15, 2008, 07:15 PM
    ASPCA: Dog Care

If you scroll down it will give you tips on feeding your dog , commercial dog food as well as adding table food.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 17, 2008, 11:31 AM
    Have her teeth checked by your vet. Toy dogs often have dental problems, partly because the same number of teeth have to fit in that tiny little mouth.
    spinphoto Posts: 125, Reputation: 7

Jun 17, 2008, 11:39 AM
    Wet food can also cause dental issues, you can make home made dog food no problem but look up a recipe and get salmon oil to add to recipe.
    If the dog is healthy and being stubburn, this may sound cruel, but I'd just leave the food down and don't worry about it, she'll eat when she's really hungry. My mom spoiled my dog when I was on vaca and this is how I dealt with it.
    AlwaysWriting Posts: 131, Reputation: 6

Jun 17, 2008, 12:16 PM
    Terrier type dogs are normally finicky eaters, so I'd suggest wetting his food at times with water, or sprinkling bread crumbs on his food. Stop changing his food though, and soft food is normally bad for their teeth.
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

Jun 17, 2008, 08:17 PM
    You might also try just putting a few bites in the bowl. I haven't tried this myself, but have heard of it working. You want the dog's reaction to be.. "you mean this is ALL I get?"
    If he doesn't eat within a few minutes, pick the bowl up and put it back down again in an hour. Don't hover over him and don't make a big deal of mealtime.
    Of course there's nothing like a second dog to get the first one eating! A little sense of competition over the food can be a healthy thing!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My dad hates me [ 24 Answers ]

My dad only pretends 2 like me he never talks to me and says I was an accident. I'm falling behind on homework because I find talking to him is 2 hard so I can never ask 4 help. He never agrees with anything I say and everything I do is stupid. He grounds me 4 not giving him the remote so he can...

My son says he hates me [ 23 Answers ]

Ok, my oldest son is 3 and lately when he doesn't get his way he says he hates me. He doesn't say it to his dad, uncle, aunt, grandma... just me. My husband and my brother put him in the corner when they hear him say it, but I don't do anything because honestly I don't know what to do. Should...

Dry food or wet food for puppy? [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I just got an 8 week old Daschund puppy and I'm not sure if I should give him wet food or dry food? Thank You. :confused:

New food/old food/keep it the same or change? [ 4 Answers ]

Our cat has been acting a little weird lately, over the past week we have noticed that he doesn't seem to be eating the same as he did. Over the last week he will get excited that its feeding time, then I put his bowl down for him and he will lick his meat until all the jelly? Is gone off the meat...

Dog.cat food.table food [ 7 Answers ]

I got a dog from my mother in law whom got her from a guy who got her from someone who couldn't take care of her. Well I believe she was beat and starved. When she got here she wouldn't eat or drink. She peed everywhere, and she is terrified of kids and loud people. She rarley goes to anyone beside...

View more questions Search