Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    NEWFIEDACHSUND Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 15, 2008, 02:24 PM
    Female dachsund and bleeding?
    Hi, does anyone know at about what age a female dachsund should be going into heat or bleeding? I have a 2 yr old purebred female dachsund who is from a long line of quality prize winning show dogs and as of yet I cannot say for sure that she has ever started bleeding or been in heat. She is a miniature long haired dachsund, I am not sure if that would make a difference to her cycle or not. If anyone knows the answer pleae help me out.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 15, 2008, 02:35 PM
    First heat can vary greatly dog to dog. The youngest is about six months of age though sometimes a female will come into season younger. First heat can start as late as 12 or even 14 months of age or later in rare cases. Again, it can vary dog to dog. Spaying at six months is recommended before a female begins to enter sexual maturity. Some vets will spay younger and spaying of puppies as young as eight weeks old who are up for adoption in shelters is becoming more popular
    carolbcac Posts: 342, Reputation: 72

May 17, 2008, 09:43 PM
    Smaller breed dogs usually begin their cycles at about 5-6 months of age. Although they can sometimes experience "silent heat" cycles with no obvious signs, the dog could also have a hormonal imbalance, a cystic ovary, or even a reproductive tract infection. Time to get the vet to check her out.
    precious715 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 18, 2008, 10:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NEWFIEDACHSUND
    Hi, does anyone know at about what age a female dachsund should be going into heat or bleeding? I have a 2 yr old purebred female dachsund who is from a long line of quality prize winning show dogs and as of yet i cannot say for sure that she has ever started bleeding or been in heat. She is a miniature long haired dachsund, I am not sure if that would make a difference to her cycle or not. If anyone knows the answer pleae help me out.
    I have a 10 month old min dashound and she starting bleeding yesterday for the first time but I'm not sure how long she will bleed or how often

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Miniature dachsund [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 5 mont old mini weiner dog, and he is so very hyper.I was wondering if this was a common trait among this breed of dogs. If not, how long can I expect this behavior to go on?

Vomiting dachsund [ 1 Answers ]

My miniature dachsund vomited twice now 6 hours apart. Do I withhold food ? Water ? For how long ? What should I start to give her to eat ?

Dachsund and Asthma [ 3 Answers ]

I am a realtor and clients want to purchase a home where two mini dachshunds were living. How much of an asthma risk is this short haired breed? Does this breed tend to have a dander problem that might induce severe reaction?

Dachsund/ long hair [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old female with long hair who appears to be very itchy. She is always scratching with no visible "reason". What should I try to help her? Would it be OK to give her 1/4 tsp. children's Benedryl? She weighs 16 lbs. Yes I know she is chubby. We are working on it.:)

Dachsund halitosis [ 2 Answers ]

We have a nine year old miniature dachsund. This dog has the worst breath. We brought him to the vet for teeth cleening. Once, really did not help. Does anyone have good cure. Thank you for any help.

View more questions Search