Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    celion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Dog started barking at everything
    Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have two border collie crosses, one 15 and one 5. The 15 year old has been deaf now for almost 1 year. The problem is that the younger dog seems to think she should bark now at almost everything, e.g. phone ringing, mobile ringing, me getting up from settee, opening back door, more or less everything:( I can only assume she has started this to let the older dog know something is going on because he just lies sleeping. Any idea how to stop this as it is becoming most annoying.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 08:26 AM
    All dogs need a job to do, and Border Collies are notorious for finding their own problematic ones. She probably finds it confusing that he no longer responds to her alerts and tries to cope by barking more.

Perhaps getting involved in some training or competition would help. Mixed breeds are welcome in obedience training, advanced, agility, fly ball, free form dancing, etc. You could look into herding.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 3, 2007, 04:03 PM
    I have never used a bark collar, but I have read credible reports of dogs developing worse problems using one.
    celion Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 3, 2007, 04:24 PM
    Hi thanks for your answers they are appreciated. I shall give suggestions a try and see how she gets on. I did try a barking hand held alarm device which worked a couple of times with her, then she chose to ignore it!
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 04:41 PM
    I am not a proponent of bark collars. celion, please use the training technique that paws has outlines. You can incorporate a short, sharp correction such as "ch, ch, ch" or "ah, ah, ah" to focus her attention onto you and away from whatever she is barking at. Then direct her to sit, or lie down. If she tries to bark while being in the sit or down command, correct again with the "ch, ch, ch" or the "ah, ah, ah" and say "No". Once she completely settles down, you should reward with a happy sounding "good girl" and a pat. It will take a number of times for it to sink in, but after a while, when she barks and you direct her to sit or lie down, she will do so quietly. Depending on how quickly or slowly she picks this up, you may have to direct her to "stay" in that position until the noise passes by.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Nov 3, 2007, 07:03 PM
    I've heard that one of the ways to teach a dog not to bark is to actually teach them to bark on command. I think that the reasoning is that, when you do that, you generally teach them to "speak" and to be "quiet" so that they can then be told to speak again. And the dog learns that there are times that it gets rewarded for barking, and times when it doesn't, and generally prefers to do what it gets rewarded for.

But I have no experience with this myself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My boyfriend told me it's him or the ever barking dog [ 7 Answers ]

I have a 3 year old Malti Poo (a maltese mixed with a poodle). He's very cute and affectionate... but LOUD and naughty. He sometimes goes to the bathroom on the floor or carpet when his housebreaking pads are in a different room. He barks at EVERYONE and EVERYTHING!! I can't shut him up. ...

Dog barking at 7 am~any advice? [ 10 Answers ]

Hi again, I posted a few weeks ago because my new shelter rescue dog, Barkley, (a small-ish one year old lab mix) was having diarrhea in the middle of the night. Luckily that is all resolved now, thank goodness! He sleeps through the night, in his crate, which we keep in our bedroom. Now he's...

Barking dog security units [ 2 Answers ]

Can anyone tell me where in the local Los Angeles, I can purchase one of those barking dogs home security units. I see them in catalogues and on line, but I want to actually see one in person before I purchase. Thank you.

Dog who won't stop barking [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sheltie who is almost two years old. She was rescued from a pet store that was going out of business. After purchasing her I found out that they had her in a crate with a much older animal who would "bully" her around. Her first few months involved her being extremely skiddish and it...

Barking Dog Situation [ 3 Answers ]

Please help, I have an Australian Shepherd who won't hush. He keeps me up all night. I need some sleep. Please help.:confused:

View more questions Search