Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nicolaa Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 10:06 AM
    2 year old son coughing and sounds like gaggin at night?
    Yeserday and today my 27 month old son wakes up with coughing and sounding like he's vomitting. I turn the lights on to see if he actually vomits and he doesn't, it just sounds like he does... he keeps coughing for a minute or 2, then calms down and goes back to sleep. Hes been soing during nap time and when he's asleep at night and wakes up maybe 2 times because of it and goes back to sleep.

Im worried? I doubt its asthma cause it doesn't sound like he's wheezing, I could be wrong. On his fathers side there is a small history of asthma... what else could it be?

Any help is great
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 10:08 AM
    It could be a number of things that only your pediatrician can diagnose properly. Please get him in to the doctor.

Asthma is a thought. Has he been ill recently? Croup comes to mind also.
    maddie10 Posts: 25, Reputation: 2

Oct 10, 2007, 11:21 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by nicolaa
    yeserday and today my 27 month old son wakes up with coughing and sounding like he's vomitting. i turn the lights on to see if he actually vomits and he doesn, it just sounds like he does...he keeps coughing for a minute or 2, then calms down and goes back to sleep. Hes been soing during nap time and when hes asleep at night and wakes up maybe 2 times because of it and goes back to sleep.

Im worried? I doubt its asthma cause it doesnt sound like hes wheezing, I could be wrong. On his fathers side there is a small history of asthma...what else could it be?

Any help is great
    Could be a chest infection. Should take him to the doctor. Try rubbing his chest and back with warm olive oil adding a couple of drops of carvel oil or baby vicks. Also boil the kettle in his room for a few minutes before he goes to bed. Works wonders. Hope he gets well quick.

Oct 10, 2007, 11:30 AM
    Thanks I'm going to try that tonight. Boil the kettle in his room? What do you mean by that? I have a humidifier? Should I try that?
    Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 11:36 AM
    First of all, I read your other post about your boyfriend and his addictions. Does he smoke in the house? This may be the cause of your child's problems.

Another thing is not to use steam, such as suggested above (that's really only good for certain conditions). A cool mist humidifier is better as it soothes the lung tissue much better than does the steam.

Oct 10, 2007, 11:44 AM
    No, he's only allowed to smoke on the balcony, not inside...

I've always been very careful about that
    I have a vivks humidifier... I don't think that's a cool mist humidifier? Is that correct?
    Expert

Oct 10, 2007, 11:47 AM
    No, that is a steam vaporizor and can aggravate lung tissue with certain conditions. Cool mist is typically indicated as it soothes the lining of the bronchioles.

You really need to make a doctor's appointment. Without knowing your son's medical history and being unable to do a physical, any "diagnosis" you get here is simply a guess and could be dangerous to your child.
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2007, 12:09 PM
    I would get him tested for allergies. My youngest son experienced and at times still does experience the same you describe. One technique I was told to use is to elevate the head of his bed a little bit. What was happening was that the nasal drainage was dripping down his throat and then causing the coughing. Cool most is very good, like J-9 said. But getting him to a doctor and having all things checked out is the only way you will know what is going on.

You said your boyfriend smokes outside on the balcony - that still leaves room for your son to be reacting to the smoke smell. But get to your son's doctor. ASAP.

Oct 10, 2007, 01:23 PM
    Thanks for all your suggestions - I will set an appointment for the docotor... I just worry and wanted to get some info first. Thanks again
    tawnynkids Posts: 622, Reputation: 111

Oct 10, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Going to the doctor is always the recommendation. My son (also 2 years old) just had the same kind of cough (it's been going around in our town), I gave him Robitussin-DM so that he could sleep better. So, until you can get him into the doctor that may be something you can pick up to help him sleep. Coughing causing a gagging is fairly normal. Sometimes the cough irritates the throat enough to cause the gag reflex and sometimes they will in fact throw up because of it. Here is a little info on the medicine (provide he isn't allergic to anything) it will help suppress the cough for sleeping and loosen the congestion to help get rid of the cough: ROBITUSSIN-DM SYRUP

Good luck with the appointment.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is my 16 year old son so mean to me? [ 12 Answers ]

I am just devastated by the way my son treats me. Tonight he called me a ho and tells me every day that I am worthless. I have been here for him while his father, my ex husband went years without seeing him at all. I have helped him so much and tried so hard to give him a decent life. I am off...

My 16 year old son seems to have given up [ 19 Answers ]

I am a 41 year old widow who lost her husband 7 months ago... my son is 16.. he is not dealing with it well.. doesnt want to go to school anymore.. wont seek help.. doesnt see his friends anymore.. stays in his room... I don't know what to do.. I have tried everything! Can someone give me some...

Changes in 20 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I am in need of some advice before I drive myself crazy. I have a 20 year old son. He is adopted and was my Nephew from my husband side. He was in 5th grade when he came to live with us. His biological parents were and still are heroin/crack/alcohol addicts. From the time he came to live...

My 18 year old son [ 6 Answers ]

I live in NC and I have a 18 yr old son who is a college student. He was dating a wonderful girl and she got pregnant. They told me right before Thanksgiving and although shocked we accepted it and wanted to do all we could for both of them. Before Christmas his girlfriend broke up with him and...

13 year old son [ 5 Answers ]

My husband and I feel like we have gotten caught up in the new way of parenting teens. However, we want to go back and raise his son with the same values as we were both raised. We just don't want to go overboard and be too strict. Should a 13 year old be allowed to go to the movies, rodeo,...

View more questions Search