Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Nickydoglover Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Sep 7, 2007, 03:50 PM
    Trick to giving medication
    Could anyone give me any ideas on how to give my dog amoxicillin. These are big caplets and I know he will not take them hidden in food. Can I open the pill and pour the powder down his throat? I will appreciate any ideas anyone has, thanks
    danielnoahsmommy Posts: 2,506, Reputation: 297
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 03:52 PM
    This is what I do. Roll pill in bread, have another piece of bread same size as you give the bread with the meds to the dog have the other in clear eyesight and quickly give it to her. She will swollow the first one quick to get the second one. I hope my idea works

Sep 7, 2007, 03:55 PM
    Thanks for your idea. I do not think this will work because he is having trouble eating lately and won't eat much of anything. I had to give him deworming pill this morning and had to force him to eat a few pieces of a weiner. I will try it thought. Thanks again, anyone else have any ideas.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 03:57 PM
    Open your dogs mouth place it as far back as your finger will go . Let the pill go and lift her head while rubbing her throat . Do this until he swollows. Good luck
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 04:36 PM
    1. Take a weiner, use about an inch of it, from the cut part, insert a straw and pull out, you will pull out some of the meat. Open the capsule and pour the powder in the hol;e and then squirt out the weiner from the straw back into the hole to cover up the med. You may have to use a few pieces but it works for my dog.
    2. Take some yogurt or icecream, and mix the med in it a stir it up. I do this for liquid(bendryl) type. You could also use peanut butter. Better to use the low fat versions, if possible. Good luck

Sep 7, 2007, 05:14 PM
    Thanks guys, so it is okay to give him the powder inside and not the caplets? Also anyone have any ideas on what my dog might eat, sometimes he will eat some weiners but other times he won't. He hasn't eaten a full meal in about 5 days, just pieces of things here and there. And thanks again for the information.
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 06:10 PM
    Something my dogs like, cream cheese, ice cream and wet dog food. The meds are in a capsule most likely due to their taste. So you may not want to open them

Sep 7, 2007, 07:23 PM
    Thanks daniel for the info. I have tried wet dog food but he turns his face away from it and he doesn't like ice cream, he seems to throw up after eating ice cream, gives him a bad stomach I guess. But thanks everyone for the suggestions please keep them coming.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 7, 2007, 08:40 PM
    In general, the less you mess around giving a dog hot dogs, cream cheese, ice cream and wet dog food, etc. the better. I have considerably more experience than the average dog owner plus extensive training in caring for dogs. I just pry open the dogs mouth and push the pill back as far as I can. Then hold the dogs chin up and stroke the neck until it swallows. Once it does, more petting and praise.

We keep our one friend's dog sometimes. He has to take a variety of pills, mainly to cope with her worrying him sick. He is a big, black lab. It is funny, he resists taking pills. However, when he hears me open the pill container, he comes running. Good thing he is a temperate beast. I have to pry his mouth open, and then stick my hand clear in to the wrist, with all those big teeth

You could try opening the capsule and sprinkling it on his food. Again, my friends dog needs some powder on his food. I scoop the food up in a can, and dump the power on top. I them shake the can distributing the powder evenly. You might ask the vet about it. Some medicines are designed to pass through the stomach and then dissolve in the intestine.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickydoglover
    Thanks guys, so it is okay to give him the powder inside and not the caplets? Also anyone have any ideas on what my dog might eat, sometimes he will eat some weiners but other times he wont. He hasnt eaten a full meal in about 5 days, just pieces of things here and there. And thanks again for the information.
    I would not give the dog just the powder. It is contained in a capsule to slowly dissolve into the blood stream. If you give the dosage out of the capsule, it could irritate the dogs stomach lining. Same way with your body. I would recommend consulting with the vet that prescribed the amoxcillin for advise on opening the capsule and the possible side effects. I am sure you do not wish to harm your dog, or make it uncomfortable in anyway. And the amoxcillin could do this if it was opened up and given in the manner described in the other posts. Hope your dog does well.
    Uber Member

Sep 8, 2007, 05:41 AM
    If MOWERMAN read all my post, he would see that I too had said talk to to vet about opening the capsule.

Sep 8, 2007, 07:26 AM
    Thanks again everyone... but I finally got him to take the antibiotics last night, I tried hiding it in a wiener but he knew cause he could smell something different about the wiener. So after spitting it out a few times I got my husband to hold hid head up and I stroked his throat and he swallowed it, just got to get him to do that for the next 7 days... lol.
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 12:39 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by labman
    If MOWERMAN read all my post, he would see that I too had said talk to to vet about opening the capsule.
    labman, did you know the average person has to hear something 27 times for it to stick in their head? And has to read it on average 12 times for it to stick. So I did not mean to step on your toes. I just tell it like I see it and sometimes if I do include part of what you or someone else suggested it is probably by mistake, or sometimes on purpose to stress that info to the person.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Sep 8, 2007, 02:21 PM
    Just a fast comment about the holding the nose up and stroking the throat thing. I've been told that it's actually rather difficult for dogs to swallow with their nose pointed up (it's not how they normally eat, and narrows the throat), so it's better if you just "slightly" tilt the nose up. Really, you just don't want them spitting the pill out, and holding the mouth shut stops most of that.

Thankfully, Trinkett is a doll about taking pills! The last one I gave her when she was lying down, and she didn't even bother to do more than just lift her head up for it.
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 05:47 AM
    So who said dogs have trouble swallowing with their chin up? Anyhow, you tilt the head up to have gravity help move the pill back far enough the dog has to swallow it. Once back far enough, they always swallow it. It is quick, easy, and works every time.

Sep 9, 2007, 07:32 AM
    Thanks everyone, and tilting the head up does work, I have tried a few different things that people are recommending but if I give him the pill wrapped in chicken and tilt his head just up to my shoulder while I'm kneeling down and I stroke his throat he does swallow the pill.
    LearningToBeHandy Posts: 7, Reputation: 2

Sep 9, 2007, 01:33 PM
    I agree that the best approach is to pry his/her mouth open and put the pill as far back in the mouth as possible. Then, hold the mouth shut and stroke the neck. Afterwards, a treat. But, it never gets easier and my lab takes a pill twice a day.

She does however, love peanut butter. I usually put some PB on the pill and as she licks it off my finger, I offer another finger with a bit of PB on it. Twice a day now for 4 years and it works every time. She loves the PB so much that she doesn't mind taking the pill.

Let us know what worked.. Good luck.

Sep 9, 2007, 03:13 PM
    Well so far what I am doing with the pill in food and holding his head up and stroking the throat seem to be working, now does anyone know what or how to feed a dog that doesn't want to eat... He seems interested in food but turns his head away from anything I try to feed him... could it be the deworming pills or the stress he was and could still be under...
    Uber Member

Sep 9, 2007, 04:26 PM
    Review the sticky at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post254171

Best thing to do is give the antibiotics a day or 2 to take effect.

Sep 9, 2007, 04:39 PM
    Thanks labman... he's been on the antibiotics for 3 days now and its been 6 days today since he has eaten a good meal, just a few nibbes here and there, but not much.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Can Somewon Teach Me A Card Trick? [ 10 Answers ]

:confused: Hi I'm sorry to waste your time but I've just bought a packet of cards and I thought I know I'll go to help desk to find out some card tricks!! So if you don't mind could somwon teach me a trick or recommend a website that would! Thank you.:cool:

Fantasy/horror movie with trick ending [ 3 Answers ]

I'm trying to figure out what the title of a movie is that I saw in the 80's on a cable station. All I saw was the ending, and it involved a boy waking up from a terrible nightmare (which apparently was the whole movie). He goes to his kitchen and maybe chats with someone. He returns to his...

Royalty Card Trick [ 3 Answers ]

If you guys want to learn about this nifty card trick read on! Just let me know if you want me to post more on here! :) The Royalty Card Trick 1. Grab a deck of playing cards 2. Pull out all of Aces, Kings, Queens, and Jacks and set the rest of the deck aside (since you wont use that deck...

How to on this magic trick [ 10 Answers ]

I was bored one day and decided to look on YouTube at some magic tricks. I found this guy, and I was wondering how this trick was done. http://www.youtube.com/v/-MLPS9Zq2nM It's about 8 minutes long and mostly in Japanese, but you don't really need to know what they're saying. Any insight...

Trick Drain Leak [ 5 Answers ]

I'm looking for some assurance from any plumbing veterans out there. I am in the process of remodeling a house that has an occasional leak from the 2nd floor shower. According to the former residents, the leak doesn't occur so long as nobody is in the shower, but as soon as someone stands in...

View more questions Search