Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cmrball41 Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Sep 7, 2007, 08:06 AM
    Nightmares are keeping me from a good night sleep
    I have been abused (menatlly, physically and emotionally) before and I was raped once. Now I have really bad nightmares. They are so real. The nightmares are usually the same every time. Sometimes they are so bad where I wake my boyfriend up by kicking and screaming. When I wake up I'm so freaked out because its like it happened all over again. Any suggestions on what to do not to have them?
    GlindaofOz Posts: 2,334, Reputation: 354
    Ultra Member

Sep 7, 2007, 08:10 AM
    Have you sought counseling to deal with your past traumas? Those sorts of things are usually not easily dealt with on one's own and typically require the help of a professional to deal with and process the things that have happened to you.
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57

Sep 7, 2007, 07:20 PM
    You need counseling to work through this. You may feel that you are "ok" with the past and really understand it all and accept it and have it in a healthy context and all that may well be entirely true. However, we are very much emotional beings and a lot of times, our emotions lag way, way behind our intellects. It's like people who loose 100 pounds, get to the perfect weight but still feel about themselves like a "fat" person. The emotional adjustment to the new body takes longer than the physical change.

You may have post traumatic stress or even clinical depression, and may need medication. Sometimes the chemical balance in your brain can be off, especially when you've had such trauma in your life as you have described here. See someone soon and you will find that this can be fixed and you will have some peace.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ford Ranger starter good, battery good What else? [ 36 Answers ]

I have a '92 Ranger that won't start it just clicks one time. I thought it was the starter but it is good. I changed the battery terminals and that fixed one problem now it clicks until you turn the key off. I can't figure it out any advise? Thanks.

Entire lifetime of nightmares [ 71 Answers ]

Hello, I am a 54 year old male, living in South Carolina. I have spent an entire lifetime thus far suffering from chronic nightmares. I had constant nightmares as far back as age 4 or 5 in my memory, can still remember some specific nightmares back to the mid 1950s. To my knowledge, I have never...

Broan Energy Star Fan Fluorescent Light and night Lite - GFI Trips [ 1 Answers ]

Replaced and existing bathroom fanlight with a new fan/fluorescent light unit. Existing circuit is on GFI breaker. Two switches provide power to unit. Shared neutral from switches to unit. After installing unit fan was fine. Light tripped GFI. Connected circuit to breaker and fan and light were...

Chronic nightmares and pains [ 7 Answers ]

Hi my names Cassandra and I've wanted to ask a doctor about this but I dislike my doctor and am too scared to talk to anyone else about it. Im 17 and ever since I've been little I've been having nightmares, sometimes when I'm awake but not night terrors, I'm literally awake and remember everything....

Chronic nightmares [ 24 Answers ]

I was diagnosed with PTSD (Post Traumatic Stress Disorder) 8 years ago, after witnessing a shooting in my family. I used to have very dehabilitating symptoms and wasn't able to go to school or work, but after years of intensive treatments I've improved dramatically. However, I still have constant,...

View more questions Search