Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    linzer Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 6, 2005, 11:34 AM
    Peeing in the house
    My dog is a year and a half old Australian cattle dog mix. I adopted him a little while ago from a shelter, and at first things were fine. But now he has started to pee when I put a leash on him to take him out, at first I thought I was waiting to long to take him and he couldn't wait. But he does it every time, I scold him when he does, then take him outside, and if he goes outside I praise him. But it's only getting worse, and at this point sometimes he won't go until I bring him back in! Please help if you can!
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Jul 6, 2005, 11:51 AM
    It could have something to do with the leash possibly? A scare? He could have been hit with it in his last home, have you tried without the leash? Is it possible just to open the door step outside with him and then leash him? Maybe a harness would be a better choice.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 6, 2005, 12:01 PM
    I don't see an easy, obvious solution. This is much like submissive wetting. Start talking to him before you pick up the leash. Use a happy tone of voice. Act like you are really glad to be taking him out. Keep up the happy talk when you get outside. Continue to praise him for going outside. Keep him moving between stops to sniff. The exercise stimulates the need to go.

Try to build self confidence. Success and praise in obedience training is one way. The dogs see all the
    People and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in
    The pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members
    Outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by
    Reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class
    Or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with
    A treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/. If he is already obedience trained, continue to work him, or move on the advanced obedience or agility.

Play tug of war with him and lose. At the end of the game, you take the toy or rope and put it up. Otherwise, you can undo the top dog idea.

Ropes from the pets' store quickly turn to hazardous shreds. Ones I made
    Lasted much better. Go to a hardware or home center that sells rope by the
    Foot. Buy 2' of 3/4" poly rope. Melt the ends, and tie knots in it. Get
    Them as tight as possible, put it in a vise and pound it with a hammer. Watch
    Carefully, and be ready to discard when it comes apart.
    lilfyre Posts: 508, Reputation: 98

Jul 7, 2005, 12:06 PM
    I agree with Labman, it sounds like submissive wetting. Try changing your routine. It could be the If way you’re walking up on the dog as you are taking him out, it could be something as simple as the way you are looking at him or the tone in your voice. As Labman said happy talk, remain calm. Try talking to your vet and the shelter where you adopted him from. They should be able to help you solve your problem.

Rescue dogs are hard because you never really know what was done to them. I have a 4 year old Pit mix. Her name is Miss Piggy, she can hold her urine for ever but if I do not let her sleep with me at night she will urinate of defecate on the floor, she is now crate train problem solved. Listed below are two links you could try. I hope this was in some way helpful to you.

http://www.peteducation.com/article....&articleid=169
    http://www.peteducation.com

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

5 yr old Daschund will not stop peeing in house [ 2 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old dash and he will not stop peeing in the house. He was house broken, but recently he started going the bathroom on all my rugs, and even in our 5 month old daughters room. I can not have this, my house is going to smell. I really don't know what we are going to do? I hope...

Dog peeing [ 5 Answers ]

Our chiwauwa female almost 5 months old pees everywhere in the house but in the litter box along with the other pets (cats & Dogs). We thought she had caught on after the "BAD DOG" scoldings and then we see her doing her thing right in front of us every so often. This is our first chiwauwa and...

Why is my dog peeing [ 3 Answers ]

If a male dog is fixed can he sense that there are other animals in heat and mark his territory?

Random Peeing in House! [ 2 Answers ]

Hi again, Yet another puzzling phenomenon produced by Barkley... our one year old lab mix from the shelter. Here's the story... He has NEVER gone to the bathroom in the house, except for the very first night we had him when he whined at my bedside to go out, and I ignored him, so he...

Peeing cat [ 1 Answers ]

Does anyone have any recommendations regarding on how to teach a cat that the litter box is the only place to take a leak, not the living room furniture?? My wife and I have 2 yr old cat who in the last 6 months has started peeing on our the couch and chair in our living room. We clean out the...

View more questions Search