Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Jewels0714 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 12, 2007, 12:13 PM
    My puppy poops in his crate
    Hello, I have a nine week old puppy (we just got him 1 week ago) and he is a perfect little puppy, except when we put him in his crate he cries and whines, which we expect... but, then he will poop and then walk in it and make a mess. We have tried leaving the radio/tv on, making the crate smaller, not putting in any bedding.. and every day (while we are at work) until my husband comes home for lunch he finds the same thing... a big mess! We always make sure he has a bowel movement outside before we put him in the crate. Also, after my husband cleans him up and the crate at lunch and puts him back in there to go back to work... when we get home about 4 hours later... the same thing... a big mess. Does anyone have any suggestions??
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 12, 2007, 04:27 PM
    I have a fix for the whining. It is one of those common problems I have had, and have found something that has worked time after time for me. It is in the sticky, ''What does a puppy need?'' along with other material you should find helpful at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802

I have never had the problem of dogs fouling the crate, don't have an answer, and nobody else seems to have much of an idea. There are many questions here about it, but very few reports of solving it. I think anti anxiety drugs have worked about as well as anything. If my way works to quiet him down, he may go to sleep and not foul the crate.
    cut_ie Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Apr 13, 2007, 12:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewels0714
    Hello, I have a nine week old puppy (we just got him 1 week ago) and he is a perfect little puppy, except when we put him in his crate he cries and whines, which we expect...but, then he will poop and then walk in it and make a mess. We have tried leaving the radio/tv on, making the crate smaller, not putting in any bedding..and every day (while we are at work) until my husband comes home for lunch he finds the same thing... a big mess!! we always make sure he has a bowel movement outside before we put him in the crate. Also, after my husband cleans him up and the crate at lunch and puts him back in there to go back to work...when we get home about 4 hours later...the same thing... a big mess. does anyone have any suggestions???
    I think maybe you might be giving your puppy too much water or incorrectly timing your feeds.You may also have a bladder problem on your hands.so you should check up with your vet .whatever it is I hope you solve it .From a fellow dog lover.
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 13, 2007, 02:55 PM
    On top of following labman's advice, here is some other information that you need to consider carefully and think about.

You have a nine week old puppy. He cannot control his eliminations yet. Four hours may be too long for him. Check and make sure you aren't overfeeding him.

Dogs are pack animals and don't do well with isolation. He needs to be around his "pack", which now consists of your and your husband. If you can find someone, a dog walker, a retired neighbor, a friend, a relative,. who can come in every couple of hours to walk him and play with him, you have a better chance of accomplishing your goal of housebreaking him.

Socialization and consistency in training at these early stages are very important to create a well balanced adult dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy poops & pees in crate [ 12 Answers ]

My 7 month old shih-tzu puppy continues to poop & pee in his crate. We had a crate that was too big, which we used for the last few months. We just got him a smaller crate, more appropriate for his size, and now he's pooping in it more than he did in the large one. He continues to pee in it...

Labman- my puppy poops in his crate! [ 1 Answers ]

I need any advice anybody has to offer! I have a 4 1/2 month old male Shih Tzu (Wicket) and I am having the hardest time with him. I just got him on the 21st and he was very good the first night. He has the whole potty training thing down pat with minor accidents in the beginning ( I understand the...

My 2 year old terrier still poops in her crate [ 6 Answers ]

My 2 year old Manchester Terrier still poops in her kennel and it not just a little bit. We've tried everything we can think of. We don't keep any bedding in it because if we do she ruins it. It's really gross and we have to bathe her every day which is causing a skin condition. My biggest...

My yorkie pees and poops in the crate [ 1 Answers ]

My yourkie pees and poos in the crate.. she know how to go out, and use the pee pad, but she rather use the crate or the house to relieve her self.. did I mention I also have a 18month old GSD.. he is great... but this 3 moths old has me cleaning 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.. help... :mad: ...

Pitt mix poops in crate everyday [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: So, I have a 3 1/2 month old pitt bull mix puppy, Maddox. I have had him since he was 8 weeks, so about a month and a half. I got him from the local animal shelter. He has had a crate since the first day, but for about the first week, he slept in my bed with me. I realized that for...

View more questions Search