Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CavKing Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 9, 2007, 04:30 AM
    My Cav pees and poops
    I have a 1 1/2 yr old Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, who is the most adorable. He is potty trained though not completely reliable. He won't mess on my main level however he will go to the basement and do his job. For the most part he goes to the door and sits down or scratches the door to be let out. I feed him just twice a day. Also if I leave him at a friends place for a few days, he pees and poops in their home constantly. I have had him since was 8 weeks, he is neutered and has no other issues. How can I get to a point where I can give him free reign of the house. I am also embarrassed to leave him with anyone.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 9, 2007, 04:54 AM
    Keep the door to the basement closed and be more attentive to him. If he goes to the door, and you don't let him out, he may feel withdrawing to the basement is good enough. When he does go to the door, praise him as well as letting him out promptly. You could try hanging a bell on the door where he can paw it to let you know he needs out.

It could be that neither he, nor whoever you are leaving him with have the patience to cope with each other. You might do better to leave him at a kennel when you have to.

You have talked to the vet about the problems? No amount of training will fix a physical problem.
    mrscoltweaver Posts: 240, Reputation: 20

Apr 9, 2007, 09:47 AM
    Crate, crate, crate! Ask you vet for info on crate training and both you and your dog will be happy. King's are sweet as well as "Cavalier"... they like to do things their way! Labman is right-keep the door closed. Some people are appalled at the crate. If you are one of these, tether him to you with a leash so that he is always by your side and you know what he is up to. Crate is still easier!
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Apr 10, 2007, 11:29 AM
    I am a very strong advocate of leaving the dog in a crate when you aren't around or too preoccupied to watch it. However, I didn't interpret your problem as being when you aren't around. I think what appalls some people about crates is when the dog is left in it much of the time when the owner is around.

I see your problem as you and the dog learning to communicate. That can't happen with him shut up in a crate.

If the problem includes when you aren't around, post back for more on solving that problem with a crate. Used properly, crates are the best friend of both the owner and the dog.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy poops & pees in crate [ 12 Answers ]

My 7 month old shih-tzu puppy continues to poop & pee in his crate. We had a crate that was too big, which we used for the last few months. We just got him a smaller crate, more appropriate for his size, and now he's pooping in it more than he did in the large one. He continues to pee in it...

My yorkie pees and poops in the crate [ 1 Answers ]

My yourkie pees and poos in the crate.. she know how to go out, and use the pee pad, but she rather use the crate or the house to relieve her self.. did I mention I also have a 18month old GSD.. he is great... but this 3 moths old has me cleaning 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.. help... :mad: ...

My daschund pees [ 1 Answers ]

My three year old daschund pees in the house. He was house broken before and he has a dog door to go out. He know he is doing wrong and my dad is thinking about getting rid of him. We have two daschund in the house and the other one does not have the problem. Please help me. Lee :eek:

My Dog pees in his crate [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 10 month old english bulldog that is for the most part potty trained. I've had him for 3 months and he hasn't had an accident in the house for a long while. The only place he has accidents is in his crate if there is bedding in it. He can hold his pee all night long if he's sleeping...

Excited Daschund pees [ 1 Answers ]

I have a mini daschund who is just a year old and pees whenever someone new comes in the house or we come home. She even pees immediately after being taken out if someone else enters the room she hasn't seen. Sometimes it is only the size of a nickel but still annoying. I know 4 mini dacs and...

View more questions Search