Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chill26 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Nov 16, 2006, 05:10 AM
    Dashie poops on bed
    I have two dashies.aged 2 and 1. Both are housebroken and we rarely have accidents. BUT if I leave my bedroom open my youngest will poop on the bed! Without fail (its a futon by the way 4cm off the floor). Nowhere else does this ever happen. And (I know its bad but... ) they sleep with me as hubby is shift worker.. I always wonder why she does this... the room is always closed now but I am itching to understand why she would do this. Oh and she has never done it when we are in bed.. just when no-one is around. Any ideas? Thank u
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 07:44 AM
    My oldest son had a basset hound that would do this to his bed when he went to school. Our vet told us that the dog experienced separation anxiety and that was why she would poop on his bed. Once we closed the door to the bedroom and kept the upstairs blocked off, she quit doing that.

There may be other reasons. Perhaps others have experiences in this.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Nov 16, 2006, 01:01 PM
    It is hard to say why dogs do things. I am afraid she is going to have to start spending her nights in a crate next to the bed. Who sleeps where is a big thing with dogs. Many people let their dog sleep with them with out any problems. Once a pack status issue comes up, the dog has to go. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at http://www.dogsbestfriend.com/ For more on being top dog, see http://www.dogbreedinfo.com./topdogrules.htm I don't know about all that site, but the top dog rules are very good.

A crate is a great tool for the dog owner. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put
    In a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    Feeding time for more than one dog.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

My puppy poops & pees in crate [ 12 Answers ]

My 7 month old shih-tzu puppy continues to poop & pee in his crate. We had a crate that was too big, which we used for the last few months. We just got him a smaller crate, more appropriate for his size, and now he's pooping in it more than he did in the large one. He continues to pee in it...

My yorkie pees and poops in the crate [ 1 Answers ]

My yourkie pees and poos in the crate.. she know how to go out, and use the pee pad, but she rather use the crate or the house to relieve her self.. did I mention I also have a 18month old GSD.. he is great... but this 3 moths old has me cleaning 24 hours a day and 7 days a week.. help... :mad: ...

My Puppy Poops inside! [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, I have a 4 1/2 month old Doberman Pinscher... I have had him since he turned 3 months. I know it is not a long time but, he used to be pretty good at going potty outside. He would both pee and poo outside. Within the last week though it seems like he goes outside... goes pee... and then comes...

Boston Terrier Poops in house [ 2 Answers ]

7 month, male, Boston goes outdoors and poops heavily three times a day but will still find a way to poop in the house. Different sites on the NET talk about a special training method for Boston Terriers that is guarunteed to stop your dog from craping in the house for $49.95. I'm at my witts end...

Pitt mix poops in crate everyday [ 7 Answers ]

:rolleyes: So, I have a 3 1/2 month old pitt bull mix puppy, Maddox. I have had him since he was 8 weeks, so about a month and a half. I got him from the local animal shelter. He has had a crate since the first day, but for about the first week, he slept in my bed with me. I realized that for...

View more questions Search