Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jul 2, 2008, 01:48 PM
    Husky and the heat
    The heat really seems to bother Rex so I try to keep him inside as much as possible, but he likes to be outside and cries to go out. Even when he's inside he pants a lot and really heavily I try to put him in my room with a fan but he just wants to go outside. Are there any tips on how to keep him cool?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 2, 2008, 02:31 PM
    For many years I had a standard Samoyed and had him from a few weeks old. I found too that he didn't like the heat and many experts told me that any northern dog could stand heat and cold quite well, I didn't see it. So, I started having him shaved and he was always more comfortable and I did that every summer until he died. They always left a little tuft of hair on his tail. I loved him to pieces, rex l23.

Northern breeds are okay with the heat, they can handle it, just let him go outside and deal with it. You are expressing your concerns on your dog, and he is telling you want he wants, so listen to him, okay. Just give him lots of water and he will find a shady area where he is best of.

Don't smother him with love.
    mydogquestion Posts: 232, Reputation: 21

Jul 2, 2008, 04:26 PM
    I put a kidde plastic pool out in the yard and fill it about half way. My GSD loves to chase the ball and when he is hot he goes and lays in his pool. They only cost about 6 to 8 dollars and I can usually get a few years out of it.

Jul 3, 2008, 03:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by mydogquestion
    I put a kidde plastic pool out in the yard and fill it about half way. My GSD loves to chase the ball and when he is hot he goes and lays in his pool. They only cost about 6 to 8 dollars and I can usually get a few years out of it.
    Sorry I thought about getting one when he was a puppy but after a while I realized that he's scared to death of water. I guess it's a good thing that huskies are clean dogs because Rex hates it when I give him a bath.
    froggy7 Posts: 1,801, Reputation: 242
    Ultra Member

Jul 3, 2008, 07:34 AM
    There is a difference between a bath and a pool, for some reason. You may give it a try. I also have a "Cool Bed" for my greyhound, because she is black and greyhounds have a terrible time with the heat. Cool Bed - Keep your pet cool year-round - K&H Manufacturing
    blackblue Posts: 145, Reputation: 8

Jul 9, 2008, 06:39 PM
    I keep a spray bottle of water and spray my dog all over including the belly whenever he gets hot.Even though he is a short haired dog, he gets overhead really easy.

Keep water available and possibly shave it. (some people cannot stand the though of their dog being shaved though!)

Jul 10, 2008, 03:16 AM
    Sorry couldn't shave Rex and he's scarred to death of the spray bottle he would just go hide under my bed.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 10, 2008, 03:45 AM
    When training my walker hound many years ago, a dog trainer suggested using a spray bottle to deter one bad habit, she thought it was a game and drank the water I sprayed at her. To this day, she reacts to a spray bottle of anything as a bit of fun time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Not starting, husky [ 2 Answers ]

I also have a Huskvarna rider, mine would run for maybe 15 minutes then quit, let it set for awhile and it would start again, I replaced my plug, coil and stator to no avail, it was the fuel bowl that was dirty I took it off cleaned out the (Too much to believe junk) bowl and around the float. No...

Husky doent like lab [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have a 1 yr old lab and just bought a 8 week old husky. My lab is very hyper and never lays down so I showed the dogs each other the lab loved her but the husky growled and showed teeth. What could I do to help them get used to each other

Husky Power Washer [ 2 Answers ]

How do you remove a broken wand that is inside the spray nozzle?

Husky with recent surgery [ 2 Answers ]

My Husky just had recent surgery to remove a mass found adjacent to her rectum area. We thought at first it might have been a abcessed anal gland; however, antibiotics did not work to resolve the problem. She underwent surgery on Wednesday. They let me take her home the first day with very...

My Husky will not eat! [ 2 Answers ]

I have an 8 year old Husky who was diagnosed with Blastomycosis a few weeks ago. My vet put him on Intraconazole. After a few days, he started eating a little bit of beef, porkchops and chicken. After a few days his appetite became a little better and would eat a few bites several times a day. ...

View more questions Search