Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    starbuck8 Posts: 3,128, Reputation: 734
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 27, 2008, 08:09 PM
    Puppymills and backyard breeders!
    Please watch this if you are thinking about breeding your pet for profit! PLEASE spay and neuter your pets. Let them be a family member, and not your source of income.

Brightlion | In Hope - English
    ZoeMarie Posts: 2,049, Reputation: 468
    Ultra Member

Nov 27, 2008, 09:17 PM

I wasn't thinking about breeding our puppy and we're going to get her spayed in February, but I watched this anyway. How awful is that image of all the puppies and kittens in those barrels? Like they've just been thrown away... too sad...
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 27, 2008, 09:20 PM

That is when I had to look away also. All of the puppies piled in barrels. Just so inhumane, and sad. :( I hope the girl that wants to stud out her chihuahua watches this, and does some thinking.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Nov 27, 2008, 10:57 PM

Starby, the tears are still running down my face. I agree with the message and I'm glad I watched the video, even though it was very hard to watch. I wanted to run to that shelter and rescue all of them.

You know me, I'm the crazy animal lady. I've rescued so many animals, I don't have room for any more.

Even if everyone on this site rescued 2 animals this year, millions would still be put to death. There are just too many puppies, kitties, bunnies being born.

Until we humans do something about this, it will continue. We will be judged on what we do here on earth.

Just one person can make a difference. One person can change the world. All of us need to stand up and fight for these animals, not tomorrow, not next week, today!
    Pets Expert

Nov 27, 2008, 11:04 PM

I just thought I'd post this link for some more info on backyard breeders. If you are thinking of breeding your dog, please read this first.

Backyard Breeders
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Nov 28, 2008, 03:34 AM

OMG that was so sad. Dumb people should not be permitted to own dogs!
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 04:03 AM

All my pets over the years have been foundlings.
    Pets Expert

Nov 28, 2008, 09:48 AM

Many of you know that we recently got a new addition to our fur family. We just adopted a beagle puppy. Yes, we got him from a breeder, the first time I've ever bought a puppy instead of rescued one. Why you ask?

We've always had big dogs, we love them tremendously. This time we decided that we wanted a smaller dog, a dog that our kids could handle. We opted for a beagle. Beagles are very good with children and also get along well with other dogs.

At first I checked for beagle rescues in an around our area, I searched and searched for a beagle rescue, but found none in my area. We were even willing to drive a few hours, but we didn't want to adopt from somewhere that our new pup would have to be flown to us. I didn't like the idea of not being able to meet the dog before we adopted, or putting a dog on a plane.

After a long search, coming up empty, I checked the paper. I wanted to see if anyone had adopted a beagle and decided they couldn't handle it and therefore where giving it away. I only found one and the owner wanted $1000.00 for that dog. When I asked why they were selling the dog, he said "He's destroying my house, he refuses to learn, he's more dog than I can handle". Okay, I understand, a beagle is not for a first time pet owner, they are stubborn, pigheaded dogs, they need a firm, experienced owner. But, when he told me that he was getting another puppy after selling this one, I decided I wouldn't purchase the pup. Dogs are not cars, you don't sell one because you don't like the way it runs and then replace it with another. If they had done their research beforehand they would have realized that a beagle was not the right dog for them.

Long story shorter (ya right), we found a breeder, I called and asked her questions. The price of the puppies was very low, breeders usually charge a lot more for their pups. She and I talked for about an hour. She was more than willing to answer all my questions, she had info on every puppy born to her dogs. She was willing to give me the numbers of people who had bought puppies from her in the past. Everything was as it should be from a reputable breeder. So we drove almost 2 hours to get our new family member.

The pup came with his first set of shots, deworming and an information kit all about him. She gave us a free sample of food and a toy and ID tag. When I asked why she didn't screen us before hand, she told me that after talking on the phone with me, she felt good about giving us one of her pups, and then when we arrived and she saw how we handled the pups and how our kids handled the pups, she knew that the pup was going to a good home. I did have to sign a form saying that I'd neuter him at 6 months (which I would do anyway) and I send her updates every few weeks, she always writes back thanking me for keeping her informed on how the pup (Chewy) is doing. She is a good breeder and screens all her dogs before breeding them. She doesn't over breed. Once a female has had two litters, she's spayed and adopted out or kept as a pet. She gives the dam 1 year rest after weaning the pups before she has a second litter. If the dam has problems she doesn't breed her the second time. It's all about the dogs, not about the money.

There is nothing wrong with getting a dog from a reputable breeder, but you have to do your research. If you want a breed specific dog you can't just look in the paper, pick an ad and go get your puppy. There are so many backyard breeders out there. Also, did you know, that most pet stores that carry many different breeds of dogs, are getting those dogs from puppy mills? Think about it, no reputable breeder would sell her dogs to a pet store. Breeders want to know where their puppy's are going, that they'll be safe.

So, do your research. This should not be an impulse buy, because this pet will be with you for many, many years. For both your sake and your pets, do your homework before adopting.

Wow, another book by Alty. :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Nov 28, 2008, 10:36 AM

Thanks for writing that Alty! I also want to add, that although it might seem like a wonderful Christmas gift, to give someone a cute little puppy as a surprise, it is most always a terrible mistake.

There are so many dogs that have been given as gifts, that have ended up in a shelter. A lot of people aren't prepared to care for a puppy. They aren't able to do the research needed for the particular breed. It is winter time, and in many places there are cold temperatures, which makes housebreaking, and other training difficult.

Curious pups will get into lots of things. They like to play and chew! C'mas trees and decorations, and cords from C'mas lights. They could knock a glass bulb off the tree and cut themselves, knock over a lit candle and burn themselves, get into C'mas treats like chocolate which is poisonous to dogs. They could chew on a poinsettia which is also poisonous when ingested. Young kids are over excited at C'mas, and could unintentionally hurt the dog. There are just so many reasons not to give a puppy as a C'mas gift.

Sure it's all cutsey when you put a big red bow around their neck, and present a big ball of fur to someone. But that big ball of fur doesn't stay so cutsey when it is peeing on your floor, crying all night long, or eating your leather couch. That cutsey little pup grows up too, and develops personality traits... some of which can be very difficult to deal with.

So please everyone, think of these things if you are planning on giving or getting a dog (or cat) for C'mas, or any other day for that matter. There are enough dogs in our shelters, and many have to die because people get their pet on a whim, and don't do their homework.
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 16, 2009, 12:17 AM

I don't want this thread to die along with the millions of dogs, so I thought I would bring it up for everyone to watch again. If the video offends you, well... it was meant to. We get so many questions from backyard breeders everyday.

They make excuses why they "needed" to breed their dogs or cats. Auntie Jean and Uncle Bob wanted a puppy, that looked just like ours! Little Amy wanted to learn responsibility, and see the miracle of birth! My friend just loves to play with my dog when she comes over, and wants one of her puppies!

There are so many reasons... or "excuses" why it's "okay" for them to breed their dog. They are never like those "other people," they LOVE their dog! They take wonderful care of their dog! They would "die" for their dog! But the truth is, that a dog had to DIE because they loved "their" cute little dog so much that they bred her anyway, while another was wondering why he was laying on a cold table, and a man with a great big needle and tears in his eyes was approaching him.

I'm sure that dog was thinking of you and saying,. "but why did "I" have to die because you wanted more?" Wasn't I good enough for you? I would have greeted you happily every time you came home, and I would have even forgiven you if you yelled at me if I had an accident on your clean floor. I didn't mean to, but you didn't show me where you wanted me to go! I didn't mean to chew your favourite shoes!. I thought since you liked them so much, that they must have been tasty! I only went for a walk on my own when you weren't looking, because I waited for you but you didn't take me!

I wish everyone that wants to breed a dog without having any experience, would have to watch one being put to sleep. I would like them to look into their sad eyes and say... sorry, but my puppies will be cuter than you. You are not so cute anymore, so we have to kill you now... I hope you understand. But don't worry, some of my dogs puppies will be joining you soon. You will have lots of friends then.

Please stop all of this backyard breeding, and stop buying from pet stores that support and buy from the puppymill industry. That cute little toy that you buy from "Petland" only lines the pockets of the heartless puppymill breeders.

Don't forget to buy that bag of store brand dog food too! The puppymills need to make more money by selling puppy parts from the ones that have died, and the dog food industry adds puppy brains and bones, and a little road kill for flavouring, as filler! If you don't believe this, look it up!
    Pets Expert

Jan 16, 2009, 09:17 AM

Starby, I hope you don't mind if I post this, I've posted it before. If you can read this without crying then you should never get a dog.

It's written by Jim Willis, it's called "how could you?"

When I was a puppy, I entertained you with my antics and made you laugh. You called me your child, and despite a number of chewed shoes and a couple of murdered throw pillows, I became your best friend. Whenever I was "bad," you'd shake your finger at me and ask "How could you?" - but then you'd relent, and roll me over for a bellyrub.
    My housebreaking took a little longer than expected, because you were terribly busy, but we worked on that together. I remember those nights of nuzzling you in bed and listening to your confidences and secret dreams, and I believed that life could not be any more perfect. We went for long walks and runs in the park, car rides, stops for ice cream (I only got the cone because "ice cream is bad for dogs," you said), and I took long naps in the sun waiting for you to come home at the end of the day.

Gradually, you began spending more time at work and on your career, and more time searching for a human mate. I waited for you patiently, comforted you through heartbreaks and disappointments, never chided you about bad decisions, and romped with glee at your homecomings, and when you fell in love.

She, now your wife, is not a "dog person" - still I welcomed her into our home, tried to show her affection, and obeyed her. I was happy because you were happy. Then the human babies came along and I shared your excitement. I was fascinated by their pinkness, how they smelled, and I wanted to mother them, too. Only she and you worried that I might hurt them, and I spent most of my time banished to another room, or to a dog crate. Oh, how I wanted to love them, but I became a "prisoner of love."

As they began to grow, I became their friend. They clung to my fur and pulled themselves up on wobbly legs, poked fingers in my eyes, investigated my ears, and gave me kisses on my nose. I loved everything about them and their touch - because your touch was now so infrequent - and I would have defended them with my life if need be.

I would sneak into their beds and listen to their worries and secret dreams, and together we waited for the sound of your car in the driveway. There had been a time, when others asked you if you had a dog, that you produced a photo of me from your wallet and told them stories about me. These past few years, you just answered "yes" and changed the subject. I had gone from being "your dog" to "just a dog," and you resented every expenditure on my behalf.

Now, you have a new career opportunity in another city, and you and they will be moving to an apartment that does not allow pets. You've made the right decision for your "family," but there was a time when I was your only family.

I was excited about the car ride until we arrived at the animal shelter.

It smelled of dogs and cats, of fear, of hopelessness. You filled out the paperwork and said "I know you will find a good home for her." They shrugged and gave you a pained look. They understand the realities facing a middle-aged dog, even one with "papers." You had to pry your son's fingers loose from my collar as he screamed "No, Daddy! Please don't let them take my dog!" And I worried for him, and what lessons you had just taught him about friendship and loyalty, about love and responsibility, and about respect for all life. You gave me a goodbye pat on the head, avoided my eyes, and politely refused to take my collar and leash with you. You had a deadline to meet and now I have one, too.

After you left, the two nice ladies said you probably knew about your upcoming move months ago and made no attempt to find me another good home. They shook their heads and asked "How could you?"

They are as attentive to us here in the shelter as their busy schedules allow. They feed us, of course, but I lost my appetite days ago. At first, whenever anyone passed my pen, I rushed to the front, hoping it was you - that you had changed your mind - that this was all a bad dream... or I hoped it would at least be someone who cared, anyone who might save me. When I realized I could not compete with the frolicking for attention of happy puppies, oblivious to their own fate, I retreated to a far corner and waited.

I heard her footsteps as she came for me at the end of the day, and I padded along the aisle after her to a separate room. A blissfully quiet room. She placed me on the table and rubbed my ears, and told me not to worry. My heart pounded in anticipation of what was to come, but there was also a sense of relief. The prisoner of love had run out of days. As is my nature, I was more concerned about her. The burden which she bears weighs heavily on her, and I know that, the same way I knew your every mood.

She gently placed a tourniquet around my foreleg as a tear ran down her cheek. I licked her hand in the same way I used to comfort you so many years ago. She expertly slid the hypodermic needle into my vein. As I felt the sting and the cool liquid coursing through my body, I lay down sleepily, looked into her kind eyes and murmured "How could you?"

Perhaps because she understood my dogspeak, she said "I'm so sorry." She hugged me, and hurriedly explained it was her job to make sure I went to a better place, where I wouldn't be ignored or abused or abandoned, or have to fend for myself - a place of love and light so very different from this earthly place. And with my last bit of energy, I tried to convey to her with a thump of my tail that my "How could you?" was not directed at her. It was you, My Beloved Master, I was thinking of. I will think of you and wait for you forever.

May everyone in your life continue to show you so much loyalty.

The End
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Jan 27, 2009, 02:18 AM

These puppies were from just ONE shelter, on one day, and I'm sure they didn't bring 1/8th of them! Who knows how many got homes. Hopefully all of these ones, because they were likely TV stars after their special national appearance, but what about the ones that weren't. You absolutely can't tell me that you can't find the breed you want at a shelter! Any shape and size! Do we need to kill these precious faces to make room for more, when people either become backyard breeders, or buy from them or petstores?

Okay... everyone get ready to go AWWWWWWW!!

YouTube - The ABC25 News Blooper Reel: Puppy 25!
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 09:17 AM

You absolutely can't tell me that you can't find the breed you want at a shelter!
    We did try to find a beagle at a rescue, we didn't necessarily need to have a puppy. I have to say that some breeds are almost impossible to find in a shelter in certain areas. I found tons of beagle rescues in the states and in Ottawa, but none near me. I would even have been willing to drive a few hours, but I'm not willing to adopt a dog site unseen and have it flown to me.

The SPCA in Edmonton usually only has large breed dogs, it's very rare to find a smaller breed and even then they're usually 8years old plus. No problem, I would take an older dog, but most of them have so many restriction, I don't usually qualify. Things like, no kids, no other pets etc.

Sometimes I think the shelters make it too hard for someone to adopt a pet. Yes, they may think that the 2 year old lab shouldn't be place in a home with children under the age of 16, but not all kids are the same, not all breeds are the same. At 2 years of age most dogs can adapt to younger kids, especially a lab. It makes me angry sometimes. No wonder most people go to a pet store, no questions asked, just pay and go.

I think we have to start with the shelters, make it easier for people who want to take home a shelter dog.

Here's some examples of the dogs in the Edmonton Humane society.

Attachment 15982
    This is Joy a Lab/collie 3 1/2 years old
    Joy needs a home with children 16 years or older.
    All family members must attend adoption process to ensure best adoption process.
    Needs a home without other animals

Attachment 15983
    This is Violet a brindle lab 3 1/2 years old
    Violet needs a home with children 16 years of age and older and with no other animals.

Attachment 15984
    This is Sneezy had to do it because of Sneezy, 2 month old Shepherd
    No restriction because he's a puppy

Attachment 15985
    This is Bowtie Shepherd 3 years old
    Bowtie needs a home with children 12 years or older.
    All family members must attend adoption process to ensure best adoption match
    rex123 Posts: 766, Reputation: 100

Jan 27, 2009, 10:20 AM

Sneezy is so beautiful, it looks like there's some husky in there.
    Pets Expert

Jan 27, 2009, 10:33 AM

It sure does. He's a cutie. :)

There are lots of puppies in the Edmonton SPCA right now, many pitbull puppies which of course come with lots of restrictions, more so then the others. In Edmonton, in order to own a pitbull there are many hoops to jump through and a lot of money to pay out.
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 02:37 PM

An update on dogs available at the Edmonton Humane society. OMG, they have a beagle, I can't believe it! I've never seen a beagle in their shelter, never! Darnit, I really want to go rescue him, but 4 dogs, that would be a bit much, don't you think?

Okay, here's a few of the dogs available right now and their restrictions.

Attachment 16868

9 month old Labrador, male; Freddy is sweet, but may have difficulties understanding boundaries around small children. Freddy may get too excited, and may accidentally knock small children over or play too rough with them.

Based on these behaviors, we recommend that Freddy go to a home with children 7 years and older.
    All family members must attend adoption process to ensure best adoption match.

Attachment 16869

Australian Shepard, age unknown, Male; This dog is highly aroused and showing controlling behaviors. He may have a difficult time understanding boundaries around small children, and may knock them over or play too rough with them.
    Based on these behaviors, we recommend this dog go to a home with children 7 years and older.

Attachment 16870

Labrador, 3 months old, female; Emerald is very playful, but may play too rough with small children. Emerald would be better suited in a home with older children.

Attachment 16871

Beagle, 3 months old, male; Copper is playful, but is a little anxious and may take some time to adjust to his new family. He is well suited in a family with children of any age.

That's the update. I know, Awwwwww! :)
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 03:13 PM

Awwww... I want Freddy or Emerald! Alty... stop making me look at more! :p :D
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 03:26 PM

I'm just in shock that there's a beagle puppy in the SPCA, that's a first. Darnit, Starby, stop me, I really want to go get him, he looks so darn sad. Imagine how happy he would be here, he's only 2 months younger than Chewy, they'd have a blast. I can just picture Jasper and Indy's faces if I brough this little guy home, "Are you kidding? Another one? Are you crazy?" Ya, I know I can't, but boy do I want to. :(
    Gone, But Not Forgotten

Feb 21, 2009, 03:38 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post
    I'm just in shock that there's a beagle puppy in the SPCA, that's a first. Darnit, Starby, stop me, I really want to go get him, he looks so darn sad. Imagine how happy he would be here, he's only 2 months younger than Chewy, they'd have a blast. I can just picture Jasper and Indy's faces if I brough this little guy home, "Are you kidding? Another one? Are you crazy?" Ya, I know I can't, but boy do I want to. :(
    Your neighbours will kill you! You know that right? LOL! Poor itty witty bitty beagle puppy wuppy! Auntie Alty will make sure you get a home! She'll be checking everyday! I know she will!
    Pets Expert

Feb 21, 2009, 03:41 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by starbuck8 View Post
    Your neighbours will kill you! You know that right? LOL! Poor itty witty bitty beagle puppy wuppy! Auntie Alty will make sure you get a home! She'll be checking everyday! I know she will!
    Darnit, you're right, I will be checking every day. Heck, I just sent an email to Wiggy's cousin, they adore Chewy, want a pup just like him, hopefully they'll adopt, they're great fur parents, have a 1 year old yellow lab, live on an acerage, he'd have a great life!

Darn laws, I need to live on a farm, I really do! Can you imagine how many fur babies I could adopt if I lived on a farm? Wow, the sky's the limit.

Okay, looking to buy a farm now, real estate pages here I come! I will have my zoo yet, you wait and see. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Breed information,breeders= Dogo argentino [ 10 Answers ]

I've been hunting around for a large breed of dog for ages now. And I've come across a breed I find very intresting and amazing Its called the Dogo Argentino. I was wondering if anyone could help me out in finding a breeder that's somewhat close to me.. I live in The valley in NS and I realize the...

Backyard mud in dog pen [ 2 Answers ]

I have part of my backyard fenced off for my dog. She has worn down part of the area and now it is all dirt. It becomes a small mud pit when it rains. Any suggestions on how to fix this. Someone suggested filling the area with mulch. Has anyone heard of this?

Labrador Breeders [ 1 Answers ]

I have a beautiful 4 1/2 year old pure breed male chocolate lab. I am looking for a female pure breed lab in the Jacksonville area (or the surrounding area) that might be interested in breeding with him. Please let me know as soon as possible! Thanks!

Dog Breeders [ 2 Answers ]

I have been a large dog lover for many years and I was wondering if anyone knew of large dog dog breeders in ns... I've been looking for a rottweiler, pit bull, bull dog or boxer since the loss of my last dog... any help would be apprechated thanks in advance

View more questions Search