Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    peterbo Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 5, 2009, 01:07 AM
    Why would my german shepard eat it's own excretion
    Why would my german shepard dog eat it's own excretion?
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 5, 2009, 01:16 AM

A lot of dogs do this, many people will say that it is related to their diet and not getting the right nutrients but there is no evidence to support it.
    I personally had bloodwork done on a dog that eat its own poop and it blew that theory out of the water. The dog was fine and eating good quality food.

Adding pineapple to their diet can work as a deterrent but the only way to completely stop them for sure is to remove the poop as soon as he does it
    Just Dahlia Posts: 2,155, Reputation: 445
    Ultra Member

Dec 6, 2009, 09:19 PM
    I also heard that you can sprinkle meat tenderizer on their food and it makes the poop un-appetizing for them (gross!)

I like the pineapple idea better.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 6, 2009, 09:23 PM

I have a border collie and beagle that do this.

The reason I was given was that they're working dogs. One is a herder, the other bred to hunt. Because they have to work around animals that may be nervous or scared of their scent, they eat their poo so that the sheep and rabbits don't smell them around.

It's part of their breeding, even if they aren't actually being used to do the jobs they were bred to do.

German Shepherds were bred to work. This may be why.

Just make sure to pick up the poo on a daily basis, then you can avoid this disgusting habit.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 12:29 PM

I don't think I ever had a puppy that didn't do this (and everyone had a different theory why) and I never had a dog that didn't outgrow it.

Funny (sort of) story - years ago the Vet said to "use" meat tenderizer. Every time the dog "pooped" I ran outside and sprinkled meat tenderizer on "it." Didn't help at all. I think the dog developed a taste for meat tenderizer. Took the dog back. The Vet meant mix it in the dog's food. I felt like an IDIOT!
    shazamataz Posts: 6,642, Reputation: 1244
    Uber Member

Dec 7, 2009, 06:27 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    I don't think I ever had a puppy that didn't do this (and everyone had a different theory why) and I never had a dog that didn't outgrow it.

Funny (sort of) story - years ago the Vet said to "use" meat tenderizer. Every time the dog "pooped" I ran outside and sprinkled meat tenderizer on "it." Didn't help at all. I think the dog developed a taste for meat tenderizer. Took the dog back. The Vet meant mix it in the dog's food. I felt like an IDIOT!
    Judy the tenderiser fairy, sprinkling her magic dust on all the worlds poop :D
    jmjoseph Posts: 2,727, Reputation: 1244
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2009, 06:41 PM

And her neighbors thought she was nuts. Seasoning dogpoop!

Judy, I'm sorry, but that's funny.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Dec 7, 2009, 06:47 PM

Judy, you just made me giggle hysterically. Sadly I was drinking beer at the time and now I'm cleaning my monitor. It's no longer funny. :(
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Dec 8, 2009, 06:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Altenweg View Post

German Shepherds were bred to work. This may be why.

Then they probably consider it 'part time poop patrol' :rolleyes:

Tick

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Sick german shepard [ 1 Answers ]

"my dog is 5 months old and he recently has been acting really weird. Hes been coughing a lot and he wont eat as much and he use to and also he really doesn't have that much more energy anymore he also has a very dry nose I'm really worried"

German shepard puppy [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently bought a puppy.she is a german shepard and about 8 weeks old.when I bought she had worms,but the lady siad that she has already gave her worm medicie to her.she will not eat puppy chow by purina or the cheap brand either which is sunshine dog food?can someone please hep me in...

German shepard [ 2 Answers ]

Can any one help me re my german shepard. He lives outside in a run with kennel and during the hot climate in cyprus he has started to use his kennel as a toilet he will not use it to sleep in even when it rains . He is now 8 months old and I am worried as the weather is now becoming colder and...

Just rescued a german shepard! [ 11 Answers ]

I just saved a dog from someone who did not take care of him properly. He was killing their chickens and so they stuck him in a cage for god knows how long! He has scars and scabs on his head from hitting the top of the cage when he was jumping up in there. He is a 2 year old full blooded German...

German shepard [ 2 Answers ]

I have a german shepard that had pups two weeks ago, and she stopped feeding her pups, what do I do? I've never been through this and I am afraid for the pups. So if anyone can help I would appreciate it. Thank you:confused:

View more questions Search