Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Shadow 50 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2007, 11:43 PM
    Potty training
    Hello,
    I have a three year old male dauschund who is still not potty trained. At one year old he was trained and than we adopted two more dauschunds. It seemed to be not to long after that he began to have more and more accidents. He knows how to go to the bathroom outside, but seems to be spraying more and more inside the house. I'm at my wits end and don't know what to do. I have moved quite a bit in the last three years and was wondering if this could have affected my dog or not. Please help as any advice will be better than none. Thanks, Ann
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 13, 2007, 03:29 AM
    You can read through the sticky on housebreaking at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251809 but I am afraid little there will help. It sounds like it is deliberate, which with a dog, we call it marking. Since it is about claiming territory, I am sure the moves have made it worse. The first step is to neuter the dog if not already. With a 3 year old dog, this will be a tough problem to solve. The dog must accept you as leader.

The key to most behavior problems is approaching things using the dog's natural instincts. Dogs see all the people and dogs in the household as a pack with each having their own rank in the pack and a top dog. Life is much easier if the 2 legged pack members outrank the 4 legged ones. You can learn to play the role of top dog by reading some books or going to a good obedience class. A good obedience class or book is about you being top dog, not about rewarding standard commands with a treat. Start at Raising Your Dog with the Monks of New Skete For more on being top dog, see Establishing and Keeping Alpha Position, Letting your dog know you are the boss

Use closed doors or gates to keep it in the same room as you are, and perhaps as I do, a short chain fastened to the computer desk. If you catch it in the act, give it a sharp ''Ah, ah, ah!'' and take it out. When you can't watch it, crate it.

It is only natural that dog resists its crate at first. What the dog
    Wants more than anything else is to be others, you, anyone else in the
    Household, and any other pets. In our modern society, even if we are home,
    Other things distract us from the attention an uncrated dog must have. The
    Only real solution is to crate the dog when you aren't around. The dog may be
    Happier in its den than loose in the house. It relaxes, it feels safe in its
    Den. It rests, the body slows down reducing the need for water and relieving
    Its self. Dogs that have been crated all along do very well. Many of them
    Will rest in their crates even when the door is open. I think the plastic
    Ones give the dog more of a safe, enclosed den feeling. Metal ones can be put
    In a corner or covered with something the dog can't pull in and chew. Select
    A crate just big enough for the full grown dog to stretch out in.

Leave it some toys. Perhaps a Kong filled with peanut butter. Don't leave
    Anything in the crate the dog might chew up. It will do fine without even any
    Bedding. You will come home to a safe dog and a house you can enjoy.

A dog that has not been crated since it was little, may take some work.
    Start just putting its toys and treats in the crate. Praise it for going
    in. Feed it in the crate. This is also an easy way to maintain order at
    Feeding time for more than one dog.

The "shut the puppy in a safe room" is a fallacy. Very few houses even have a
    Safe room. How many of us have a room with a hard surfaced floor and nothing
    Else? Most rooms have electrical cords to chew if nothing else. In addition
    To destroying anything a bored puppy finds to chew, it may choke or have
    Intestinal blockage from the pieces. I had a friend that left her dog in a
    "safe" room. It ate a hole in the floor covering. The safe rooms fail to
    Give the dog the comfort of the enclosed space their instinct requires. Nor
    Do they restrict activity extending the time the dog can go without relieving
    Itself.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 13, 2007, 08:58 AM
    The reason that a dog does not urinate in the house, is the very same reason that they do not urinate in a crate.. They have a natural instinct to not deficate or urinate in their den... Me thinks that you are fighting two battles with your Dats.. and the first of which is that you have adopted other dats.. and their could be some territrorial marking going on, as well as with the multiple moves that you described he may need a refresher course on crate training... and positive reinforcement to use the restroom outside..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have a year old mini dacshund and he is not potty trained, he refuses to do his poopies outside. We do have him in a crate and he goes for a long period with not accidents in there and we take him right outside and he won't go. We have disciplined him for this much, even put him back in...

Potty training [ 6 Answers ]

I was wondering how I can start potty training my 20 month old daughter I Need help with it she will sit down with a diaper on and say potty but then I will take off her diaper and she won't go its getting frustrated what can I do

Potty training [ 10 Answers ]

My son is almost 3 and we have been potty training for about a year when he is with his father or his grandparents he will potty on the toilet no problem but when he is with me he won't. Sometimes when I put him on the toilet he will go but other times he won't or he will throw a fit and then he...

Potty training [ 19 Answers ]

My son turned 3 years old in April and will not use the potty! He's not interested and wants nothing to do with it. We have tried all the usual approaches without any luck. Any good ideas?? I've already tried 1- putting a potty that makes a flushing sound and a hurray sound in front of the TV...

Potty training [ 1 Answers ]

I got my miniature dashun in the winter. When I got home the dog did have some accidents on the carpet then we tried bringing her outside and she would do her bussines outside sometimes. Then when it got really cold she stopped and we got the puppy training pads. Until now she knew that she had to...

View more questions Search