Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    emfellows Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 3, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Puppy pee training for mini dox?
    I two have a mini dox, he's only 11 weeks so I can't have him neutered just yet so Ive been told. But I work a full time job so when I wake up in the morning I take him out, have him go if he can, then bring him in feed him and take him back out once more before I leave for work. Before I leave I put him in his crate in the house, but he still pees all the time in there and once I get home I let him out and feed him and bring him in again. Even though he doesn't drink any more then the two times I feed him he still seems to refuse to let me know when he has to go out again and pees in the house.. I'm not sure what else to do I say NO and run him outside as soon as it happens but its kind of like once we are out there he just looks at me as if.. I'm already done I don't need to come out now:p!? He'll bark but not to let me know he has to go out. And I'm kind of lost as what I should do.. :confused:
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 3, 2007, 05:33 PM
    It is possible he didn't have proper care before you got him. That makes routine housebreaking harder. Read through the sticky starting at https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/dogs/i...tml#post251802 I need to revise the sticky to include the importance of walking the puppy around when you take it out. They can't walk and hold it very long. Post back if you need more help.

Use 11 weeks is early to neuter a puppy. Wait until your vet feels it is best. They differ on that, but the important thing is go make sure it gets done. It isn't much help for housebreaking, but makes a big difference later when an older dog is marking in the house.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 4, 2007, 04:59 AM
    It's 11 weeks old, this is a natural part of puppy hood, and you will probably have to deal with this until he is 4 months old or so... Puppies don't have a lot of control... especially when they are this young... I posted before that 30 minutes for every month of age is about how long they can hold it... just continue efforts and praise with a potty command when he goes outside and it will work out.. but understand that puppies pee indoors...
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 05:53 AM
    ''I posted before that 30 minutes for every month of age is about how long they can hold it.'' Yes, and I have posted that I have proven that is plain wrong. It is not natural for a well cared for puppy to be urinating in the house. Unfortunately, it sounds like you have one with poor prior care. That makes it much more difficult. It is even more important to watch it carefully, and take it out when you see the signs it needs to go. Puppies can't tell time. They need to associate having to go, not the time, with being taken out. It may take a while, but if you follow the proven, successful methods in the sticky, your puppy should recover its instinct for cleanliness.
    pawsdogdaycare Posts: 92, Reputation: 5
    -

Sep 4, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Ok I'm lost, you invented a rule of thumb? The 30 minute thing? It's been around for years.. Hey... did you know Al Gore invented the Internet? Are you two related? Me thinks maybe... As for the 30 minutes, it's a rule of thumb (not a strict guideline to live or die by)... And Unless you have done extensive laboratory research on the bladder capacity and brain wave activity of a young puppy.. I don't think there is a way to prove or disprove it.. It's just a guideline...
    howe Posts: 4, Reputation: 2

Sep 4, 2007, 06:26 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by emfellows
    I two have a mini dox, he's only 11 weeks so I can't have him neutered just yet so Ive been told. But i work a full time job so when i wake up in the morning i take him out, have him go if he can, then bring him in feed him and take him back out once more before i leave for work. Before i leave i put him in his crate in the house, but he still pees all the time in there and once i get home i let him out and feed him and bring him in again. even tho he doesnt drink any more then the two times i feed him he still seems to refuse to let me know when he has to go out again and pees in the house.. im not sure what else to do i say NO and run him outside as soon as it happens but its kinda like once we are out there he just looks at me as if .. im already done i dont need to come out now:p !?! he'll bark but not to let me know he has to go out. and im kinda lost as what i should do.. :confused:
    HI, hope this works for you.Had the same problem with my Sheppard, and this worked for me. I would have a candy bowl of doggie treats for him, every time I would take her outside and she did her business I would say good girl and reward her with a treat, if she did nothing I would tell her no treats until she peed. I had her house broken in less than a month. LOL them you have to train them later that they get treats for other things.
    Good luck hope this helps.
    Uber Member

Sep 4, 2007, 08:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pawsdogdaycare
    Ok I'm lost, you invented a rule of thumb? the 30 minute thing? It's been around for years.. Hey... did you know Al Gore invented the Internet? Are you two related? me thinks maybe... As for the 30 minutes, its a rule of thumb (not a strict guideline to live or die by) .... And Unless you have done extensive laboratory research on the bladder capacity and brain wave activity of a young puppy.. I don't think there is a way to prove or disprove it.. It's just a guideline....
    I think that I have had 7 week old puppies go 4-5 hours time after time completely disproves your rule. Just what do you base your rule on? I base my criticism of your ''rule'' on my experience housebreaking 15 puppies starting at 7 weeks. And my puppies don't just stay at home. Even at that age I am taking them out in public places where an accident would be a very poor showing. I think it is time you and a few others here admit I have a lot more experience and training in many area and quit confusing people with rules that just don't work and other such.
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Sep 5, 2007, 08:02 PM
    Ruby when I got my dog someone told me every 20 minutes, lol, I thought paws was giving me an extra 10 minutes of rest when he said 30 minutes. But seriously I was told every 20 minutes unless they were sleeping, then as soon as they woke up to take them out. Lol sometimes my dogs would run and hide when I went toward the door. The youngest dog I ever had was 4-6 months old or so the vet thought.
    Uber Member

Sep 5, 2007, 08:16 PM
    Much of it depends on their activity level. Sleeping in a small crate, usually 4-5 hours. Actively playing, 10-15 minutes. I have seen them not make it 2 feet from the water bowl.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Crate training a mini daschund [ 5 Answers ]

I have a 16 week old long haired mini daschund, and I can't crate train him for the life of me. I put him in his crate and leave him, he pees and poops on himself. I have tried to use a baby gate to confine him in the kitchen with his crate wide open, and I have tried to put him in the bathroom....

How do I get my puppy to poop and pee when I walk him? [ 1 Answers ]

My cocker spaniel puppy, Phoenix, is about 5 months old and is housebroken in the sense that he uses the yard but he just does not seem to understand that he should eliminate when he is walked. He'll hold on and on and go as soon as he gets back from walking like any human might! He seems to be...

Puppy/daschund training [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, My Fiancé and I am looking at getting a baby daschund and I've heard that they can be barky. I can't have that where I live, so I was wondering if a calm "light spray of water in the face" method is considered effective, and if it's too mean to do to a younger dog?

House training a mini pinscher [ 1 Answers ]

I recently got a mini pinscher from a friend of mine. She said she just didn't have time to take care of him and wanted him to have a home that had time for him. I stay home all day so I have all the time in the world. When he came here she said he was house trained, but I'm starting to wonder. ...

House Training a Mini Dachshund [ 4 Answers ]

Hey All...First off I'm a newbie to the site and wanted to say that I have been reading on the advice passed from each and am wondering if I can get some ideas. I have a mini dachshund that is 1 yr old. I have had dachshunds all my life but none have ever been this stubborn. My lil Sammie is a...

View more questions Search