Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dingdc Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 19, 2009, 05:18 PM
    Rebar vs fiber mesh for driveway
    I am planing to redo about 1200 sq feet driveway. One contractor uses #3 rebar for every 2 feet center. Another contracdtor uses #3 rebar for every 4 feet center with commercial fiber mesh. Which is better way to go?

Thanks,
    STG Posts: 84, Reputation: 7

Sep 19, 2009, 09:12 PM

My first instinct is to say to go with the rebar, but that is without knowing the composition of the mesh. Remember, whatever you put in the cement will ultimately be what holds it together once it begins to crack. Go with whatever is the most "sticky" and strong.
    freedhardwoods Posts: 42, Reputation: 3

Sep 20, 2009, 05:13 AM
    I don't think there is a lot of difference. I would go with the rebar every 2', but the mesh would work also. The more important part of the process is to make sure you have a good solid base under the concrete so the reinforcement does not have to work as hard. If you have a poor base, the concrete will crack and settle unevenly. The reinforcing will only keep the concrete from breaking completely apart.
    scp_ok Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Sep 20, 2009, 07:47 PM
    I'm not a concrete person, but have spent a lot of time on it due to my own issues with a patio. I've heard the fibermesh is not a big deal and the rebar would be better off the 2' centers. Ground prep is key and also good expansion and/or scorring as needed to try and catch the crack into those areas. It can/will crack, but the right prep and planning by the contractor does make a difference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should Rebar Be Placed in a New Driveway or Patio [ 7 Answers ]

Talking with a builder this weekend they mentioned rebar is not a standard feature in the concrete for the drive way or the covered patio in the back. It's about $1.00 per sq ft to have it installed. What are the advantages to adding rebar into the concrete for the driveway? Do I need it?

Mesh or Rebar in Concrete - Which is better [ 3 Answers ]

At somepoint I am going to have to replace my concrete patio (long story!). Concrete contractors have proposed 6/6/10/10 welded wire reinforcement and 1/2 inch rebar. Each suggests one is better than the other. It will be 3000 psi cretet and 4 " thick. What do people here suggest between the...

How to use rebar in a block wall [ 4 Answers ]

:confused: I've read all the answers on How to build a cinder block wall using re-bar and concrete. My question is: How is the re-bar set in the footing to secure it and keep it standing straight up. Is the concrete put into the footing, a cinder block put down onto the wet concrete and then the...

Should I resurface my asphalt driveway or get a complete new asphalt driveway [ 3 Answers ]

My asphalt driveway looks so bad that my insurance company has considered it a serious hazard. Do I resurface the existing driveway. I have a contractor telling me that he would level the existing driveway and place a 2 inch top coat of asphalt on top. Will a resurface last just as long as a...

Rebar in foundations [ 2 Answers ]

If you have an old foundation that does not have rebar, and you are going to tear down the existing house and rebuild. Is there a way to reinforce with rebar in the existing foundation?

View more questions Search