Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Granna Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 17, 2006, 07:56 AM
    What do I use on Kittens 3 weeks old
    My baby kittens have fleas what do I need to do?
    tre_cani Posts: 117, Reputation: 22

Oct 17, 2006, 08:08 AM
    I assume they are still nursing, which means that Mama cat also has fleas.

I'm nearly certain that the topical flea treatments cannot be used on nursing mothers or kittens under 8-12 weeks or so. But I am positive that Capstar (a pill obtained from your vet) is approved for kittens as young as 4 weeks.

Any adult cats (or dogs) in the household will also need to be treated for fleas or the kittens with be re-infested.
    cspeeks Posts: 20, Reputation: 2

Oct 17, 2006, 09:00 AM
    If the fleas are there in another week you can also give them a luke warm sponge bath with lemon dish detergent.. the lemon juice repels fleas... do not leave soap residue on them or leave them wet.. do one kitten at a time and make sure it is 100% dry and warm.. do not do this if you have a overly possessive momma cat although unlikely at the kittens age you don't want her to abandon her kittens because her smell has warn off
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 21, 2006, 05:42 PM
    If dosed for the kittens weight Revolution is safe to use on kittens and momma at any age. We use it regularly this way.
    Capstar is only approved for use on felines/canines at least 4 weeks AND weighting at least 2 pounds . Of course I don't know of any kitten weighting over 2 lbs at 4 weeks unless of course it was a tiger maybe!
    clvassallo Posts: 18, Reputation: 1

Oct 24, 2006, 09:39 AM
    There is a new flea medication you can squirt on the back of their necks. It kills fleas and ear mites. I think it's either called Advantage or Revolution. If you go online to PetMeds it might be there for cheaper than you'd get at the vet.
    doggie_poopie Posts: 252, Reputation: 19

Oct 24, 2006, 03:50 PM
    Revolution can only be purchased from a vets office. And it works better than the other products plus is the safest nerologically.
    Sharashe Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Oct 25, 2006, 03:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Granna
    Iwould give them a flea bath in a mild flea shapmpoo and then remove them from your home and have your home sprayed for fleas. It's the only thing that's going to work. Dry those babies after bathing . Don't allow them to get cold. You can use a hair dryer. Fleas in excess call actually kill baby animals. Hope all goes well

Sharashe
    johnnye Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 26, 2006, 02:59 PM
    I have heard of spot on cat you can buy it from pets at home or the local vet can sell to you 1 tube 1.39 aproxx 3 tubes from vet aprox 12.99 aplay to cats neck I think it last about 6 weeks and it dose leave a blue mark on the cas neck but is good
    pussycatman Posts: 8, Reputation: 2

Nov 1, 2006, 09:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Granna
    HI Gran I would use a knit comb and put the fleas you get of the comb in hot water not cold as they will just climb out, Another way bit tricky but can be done is put a kitten in a luke warm bath up to neck level and keep kitten submerged for around 10mins wich should kill most of the fleas keep kittens head above water all the time lol very dodgy with mother don't try, Very IMPORTANT dry kittens off straight away. GOOD LUCK. CARL.
    JediKitteh Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 2, 2006, 12:06 PM
    I had this same problem with my new kitten, we took her to the vet (and the bill wasn't bad either about 45 bucks) and they said that we had to wait two more weeks until we could give her ANY flea meds. However once the two week wait was over the advantage the vet gave us killed the fleas in about a day.
    During the wait they told us to give her a bath with baby shampoo :3 wich will help her with the itching.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

11 weeks pregnant fetus only 6 weeks? [ 8 Answers ]

I thought I was 11 weeks pregnant, had some very light spotting and Dr. did ultrasound and said fetus was only 6 weeks?? I am almost positive there was no possibility of conception on the new date so they believe the fetus stopped growing at 6 weeks and I had a missed miscarriage. I am waiting...

30 weeks [ 24 Answers ]

I don't know if this qualifies as a question since I'm just updating everyone about how things are coming along... lol.. Hopefully all this might help someone else at some point in time... I just got back from my 30 week appt. and everything is much better than it was last week. I did get an...

12 weeks along [ 20 Answers ]

Well I haven't been on recently. I've been working a lot and been really tired. I went to my dr. appt today and heart the babies heartbeat. It sounded so far away... lol... He said that my uterus was big for just 12 weeks and ordered an ultra sound. He said that there were three reasons that this...

5 weeks [ 3 Answers ]

Hello, this is my first pregnancy. I found out that I am 5 weeks, (3 weeks Gestation) Does that mean I am already in my 2nd month? Or when do I officially begin my 2nd month? Im kind of confused! Kellie

5 weeks maybe? [ 2 Answers ]

Hey everyone, I'm not sure if I'm pg or not I took at test on the 17th but it was negative so I'm going to take one this week { I have early pg signes} if I am pg I'm 5wks this week and it seems that my boobs are getting bigger one more then the other at the moment lol and my tummy seems bigger to?...

View more questions Search