Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scp_ok Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 05:51 PM
    Attic Insulation
    I have a walk out attic over my garage. I was able to install myself r13 batts of over the 3rd car garage area as the studs fit the insulation perfect for what I installed in the walls of the garage. I had extra so used it up. The only section left to insulate is the 2 car part, but am not sure if it is worth it. I got a quote for $320 for blown in insulation that is 460 sq ft worth for the size. That is for R30 with 12" of blown in. The 2nd car side has 12 or 14" deep joices so a lot more can go in than the 3rd car side. The studs are 24" inches apart in the 2 car part so I think it would be more economical to have it blown in that go by batts at HD/Lowes.

Ok... the question.. Is it worth it to do this? Will I save money in the long run for the house or simply have a better insulated garage and attic. I plan to floor the attic, but would need to take care of this before doing that. Thoughts and suggestions.
    scp_ok Posts: 84, Reputation: 1

Oct 12, 2008, 05:53 PM

Oh yeah.. I live in Oklahoma... to give you an idea of the climate where the house is
    Home repair Posts: 88, Reputation: 9

Oct 17, 2008, 03:49 PM
    You have said quite a bit here, which is hard to follow, but the short answer is, that insulating as much as is practical is always worth it. It is cheap compared to gas, or electricity and will look like a no brainer in a few years.
    boatwoman Posts: 11, Reputation: 1

Nov 7, 2008, 07:18 PM

If your garage below is unheated you won't save much by adding insulation to its attic. HOWEVER, you should insulate the wall between the garage and the heated part of the house if this has not been done. I just recntly did exactly this by adding 2" foam board to that wall. I also extended the wall all the way to the ceiling of the garage attic and then added 6 inch insulation over the area that is heated below (mudroom between garage and house.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Attic Insulation [ 2 Answers ]

I have a two story box house. The attic has insulation under the floor. The 10 ft peak attic is for storage. Should I add insulation under the roof? Thanks, Steve

Attic Insulation [ 5 Answers ]

I'm in the process of building a house and have received conflicting advice on insulating the attic. The architect specified "Sealection" foam insulation against/under the roof with a conditioned attic. However, the builder decided to ignore this specification since that's method is not what they...

Current in my attic insulation [ 5 Answers ]

Okay, this is going to sound weird but I was exploring a space in my attic yesterday and was using my utility lamp. The hook on the lamp brushed up against the metal vent pipe and it sparked and resulted in a burn mark on both the pipe and the lamp hook. Then I brushed up against the attic...

Adding attic insulation [ 5 Answers ]

I recently bought a house and want to add insulation to the attic, the existing insulation has the vapor barrier facing down to the sheetrock and there is a section where it appears that there is a silver aluminum vapor facing up. My question is If I want to add at least 3" of insulation what type...

Putting plywood over attic insulation. [ 2 Answers ]

We have an attached garage that is not heated. In the attic I am planning to put some cellulose insulation over the fiberglass stuff. Once this is done I would like to put some plywood down so we can store stuff up there. Should I leave small spaces between the plywood to keep condensation from...

View more questions Search