Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Melinda Posts: 102, Reputation: 20

Jun 30, 2005, 05:19 AM
    How large will my dog be?
    My pup is 8 weeks old and weighs 15 pounds right now, she's gained 5 pounds in the two weeks we've had her, her dad is a purebred yellow lab (120 pounds) and her mom is 1/2 black lab, 1/2 shephard, mom was very slim, but she did just finish weaning 8 large pups, she was roughly about 60 pounds, is there anyway of "guesstimating" how large my female pup will be?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2005, 07:40 AM
    It is hard to say. Just as Labs turn out black, yellow, or maybe chocolate, but not a mixture, puppies usually turn out about the same size as one parent. The one rule is that the adult will twice as big as it was at 3 months. You say she is 15 pounds and the father is 120 pounds. You didn't say if you can feel either's ribs. If she gained 5 pounds in a week, likely your are feeding her too much. If you are feeding a concentrated chow like most of the more expensive brands, you should only be feeding her 2 cups a day or less broken down into 3 meals a day until she is 4 months old. My 8 month old and 11 year old both are getting about 3 cups a day of Pro Plan. Over feeding is a big problem with Labs. No matter how much you feed most Lab puppies, they will snarf it down and look for more. Unfortunately it leads to excessively fast growth, worsening genetic tendencies toward joint problems, and shorter lives for obese adults.

You should be feeding a puppy chow now. Switching to an adult chow for the
    Larger breeds at 4- 6 months, slows growth and helps develop sturdier
    Joints.

Your dog, even young puppies, definitely should be narrower at the waist than the hips and chest. You should be able to easily feel the ribs, but not see them. Each dog is different. Standard recommendations are a good place to start, but each dog must have its food adjusted to its individual needs. See
    http://www.purina.com/dogs/nutrition.asp?article=292.

The dry dog foods are actually better for the dogs. It helps keep the teeth
    Clean, and exercises the jaws and teeth. If you feed a complete dog chow, you
    Shouldn't need to give the dog anything else. Various people foods may only
    Add more calories without providing proper nourishment. Look at how many of
    Us are too fat too. If you don't want to pay name brand prices look for
    Certification of passing the AAFCO tests. Make any changes in diet slowly
    Over about a week.

The premium, concentrated foods give you the assurance of a brand name. They
    Produce a smaller, firmer stool that is easier to clean up. It is easier to
    Maintain weight on a finicky eater. The lower cost foods may actually have
    Lower fat and be better for your dog. Many dogs would enjoy eating the larger
    Portions you have to feed.

Here is a link to a picture of a Lab puppy dissatisfied with his healthy build, http://www.photolocker.net/images/La...theproplan.jpg

Jun 30, 2005, 08:02 AM
    Thanks Labman, you misunderstood a little, in the two weeks we've had her, she's gained 5 pounds, not one week, *S* Daddy was a solid built dog,you could run your hands over his ribs and just barely feel them, (a tad heavy) the mother was very very thin, understandable with 8 puppies, I feed my pup 2.5 cups of pro plan a day, divided into three meals,there is usually some left over at the end of the day. She is fed when we sit down to our meals, I dole out hers in her crate with the door open. We walk 1/2 a mile three times a day also, along with playing/training in a mowed field beside my house. My last dog was lab/rotti/great dane and very large at 2 months with very long legs, so I wasn't really sure how a lab should be at this age, I am terrified of her gaining too much or not enough weight. My vet told me to put her dish down and leave it for 15 minutes, then remove it, he said she would eat what she wanted in that time and that would let me know if she is eating enough or not. None of my dogs , with the exception of the last one which was on a home made diet, have ever had table scraps.
    *nervous mommy* someday I'll explain why I'm nervous even though we've raised dogs all our lives.
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jun 30, 2005, 08:44 AM
    I am sorry I misread your post and maybe came on too strongly on the over weight. It sounds like you are doing well. Overweight is a big problem in Labs. Your vet's instructions will work well with many dogs, but would be a disaster if somebody keep increasing what they were feeding a Lab puppy. Stick to checking the ribs. I was given that link to the Purina site by a dog guide school, who likely really know dog care. I think Goldens are just as bad. Perhaps they think they need the build of a seal for retrieving in cold water.

I once had a Lab that I had to switch from the old Purina to a more concentrated chow to keep enough weight on him to avoid embarrassment in public. I had a 5 month Shepherd that went 3 days with eating.

Jun 30, 2005, 08:48 AM
    *S* you didn't come on too strongly, with the hip trouble labs are known for, you have a right to be concerned! I really appreciate you taking time to answer me, you sure know your stuff !

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Large subpanel off a 200 amp main [ 9 Answers ]

I'm trying to replace an older subpanel in a barn 200' from the main 200 amp panel. I have many questions; How can I get a 200 amp rated panel out in the barn, what kind of tap/connection would I have to use coming off 200 amp main, what size conductor would I need, is this even allowed by NEC?

Large Log file [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop keeps coming up saying that the HDD is nearly full. I do a check of how much free space I have and sometimes it's as little as 14KB. After doing a search around the HDD I always find that the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log is 16GB or so. I just delete the file and the...

Large boobs [ 11 Answers ]

Hey all I'm not sure where exactly to put this post but I figured it is part of weight loss so here we go. I'm 20 and my boobs are size 16 e and there tooo big I hate it and I got some problem with my hands where I get lots of pain in them my hand specialest recommend to get a breast reductions...

Large font - is this a virus? [ 8 Answers ]

Today for the first time, my Yahoo page is displayed in really large font, then other pages are normal. Then some pages will have part large font and part normal. Has anyone had this issue - or know what it is.. I did spybot and ad aware and it didn't change anything. Thanks.

Large Tile [ 1 Answers ]

Good morning, I am building a new bathroom with a custom shower. I am in the process of finishing up my plumbing and installing cement backer boards for the shower walls and on the bathroom floor. I plan to build the shower pan with mortor bed and PVC liner. I will be using ceramic tiles...

View more questions Search