Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rojo54's Avatar
    rojo54 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #1

    Jun 16, 2013, 01:49 PM
    Poison oak
    Our three dogs all have a rash and bleeding sores on their backs and tail, sometimes on their belly, it looks like poison oak or one of those poison plants, can dogs get poison oak ?
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert
     
    #2

    Jun 16, 2013, 01:53 PM
    I see conflicting answers elsewhere online, but I tend to believe the sites that say they can, but it's uncommon.
    Flea infestation can result in hair loss and sores because the dogs can only reach their rumps and tails and legs to chew there.
    Are you using flea control such as drops?
    rojo54's Avatar
    rojo54 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #3

    Jun 16, 2013, 02:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I see conflicting answers elsewhere online, but I tend to believe the sites that say they can, but it's uncommon.
    Flea infestation can result in hair loss and sores because the dogs can only reach their rumps and tails and legs to chew there.
    Are you using flea control such as drops?
    Yes, but the dogs do stay outside.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert
     
    #4

    Jun 16, 2013, 02:10 PM
    Where do you live?
    I'm in New England. The wet spring has created monster mosquitoes and ticks. No fleas on my pets but they get drops. I would examine them very carefully.
    Last year my dog was bare and sore around her rump from fleas because I hadn't started the drops 3 months earlier! I was so mad at the company (Frontline) that I won't use them anymore.
    rojo54's Avatar
    rojo54 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member
     
    #5

    Jun 16, 2013, 02:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Where do you live?
    I'm in New England. The wet spring has created monster mosquitoes and ticks. No fleas on my pets but they get drops. I would examine them very carefully.
    Last year my dog was bare and sore around her rump from fleas because I hadn't started the drops 3 months earlier! I was so mad at the company (Frontline) that I won't use them anymore.
    We live in Arkansas, we do have fleas and ticks, but we moved out in the country, We have a lot of poison ivy and poison oak, can dogs get poison ivy ?
    Wondergirl's Avatar
    Wondergirl Posts: 38,900, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert
     
    #6

    Jun 16, 2013, 02:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by rojo54 View Post
    We live in Arkansas, we do have fleas and ticks, but we moved out in the country, We have a lot of poison ivy and poison oak, can dogs get poison ivy ?
    Yes, and here is one site of many that explains more -- Dog Poison in Dogs | Information on Canine Poison Ivy
    tickle's Avatar
    tickle Posts: 23,800, Reputation: 2674
    Expert
     
    #7

    Jun 16, 2013, 03:21 PM
    Do you have so many dogs that they can't sleep inside at night? IF they are in a clean kennel at night then why are they in distress?

    Dogs can 'get' anything we do.

    Do they get regular baths, do they get regular vaccinations and vet checks?

    Sorry. And don't tell me your dogs are well cared for, it doesn't appear so. Vet Check is my advise. I always have the money for my pets.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

 

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.


Check out some similar questions!

Red oak versus white oak flooring [ 0 Answers ]

We are in the midst of a renovation of our kitchen and adjacent family room, and as part of it we are replacing the old wall-to-wall carpet in the FR with hardwood flooring, to match the existing hardwood in the kitchen. They put down the new floor two weeks ago and feathered it nicely into the...

Poison oak [ 4 Answers ]

I think I have poison ivy or poison oak can you help me I'm nervous

Poison Oak Prevention [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I went hiking Friday night with a close, intimate friend and he contracted severe poison oak about a day later. I didn't get any poison oak from this, but I was wearing jeans and long-sleeves. He had shorts and short-sleeves on. So while I most likely did not develop it from the plant, I...

Natural Poison Oak Prevention? [ 1 Answers ]

I tend to have delayed reactions to skin irritants and am concerned about very likely poison oak exposure. (The other person I was hiking with got very severe poison all over his body and we were hiking the same place.) It's possible I do not react to poison oak at this point or that my long...


View more questions Search