Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    uabeck's Avatar
    uabeck Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Apr 13, 2008, 09:36 AM
    How to get papers
    I just adopted 3 mini-daschound puppies (so far they look long hair.) a co-worker got one. The parents were from another co-worker. The parents were never registered. Is there any way that we can register ours? All are pure breed. Thanks for any help. They were born overnight 1/1-1/2/08.
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Apr 13, 2008, 10:29 AM
    You won't be able to get papers on the pups as the parents were not registered. Sorry. Just give them a good home.
    jcdill's Avatar
    jcdill Posts: 249, Reputation: 24
    Full Member

    Apr 13, 2008, 10:32 AM

    There's a big difference between "purebred" and "registered". In order to be registered, the dogs owners have to follow the AKC rules for registration and all parent animals have to be registered for the offspring to be eligible for registration.

    First the owners of the puppy's parents need to get their dogs registered. Then they need to file a registration for the litter. Then the puppies can be registered. If the parents weren't from registered litters, then they need to go back to the owners at the time the parents were born and have their litters registered, etc. You can't skip registering the parents and get registration for the puppies. See pages 6-8 in the PDF document at the link "Rules Applying to Registration and Discipline" here:

    AKC Rules and Regulations
    keligrn's Avatar
    keligrn Posts: 12, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Apr 13, 2008, 07:42 PM
    IF you don't intend to breed the dogs and you just want to participate in AKC sponsored activities you can apply for an ILP number. You get registration by providing pictures and proof of spay/neuter. I registered my rescue Malinois and got her Rally Novice certificate with the first three shows!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Served papers or not? [ 6 Answers ]

If you are verbally served to appear in court as a witness, is it legal?

Being served papers [ 1 Answers ]

I have some kind of a sheriff processor that is trying to serve me papers at my house. He also has called my son to try and pick up these papers. I am sure it is over an old credit card bill. I know that if I accept the papers then will have a court date and then if I do not go to court they put a...

Separation papers [ 1 Answers ]

I don't really know how to do this but I want to get separation papers and I don't have a lot of money is there any outline I have to use or anywhere cheap I can get them...

Adoption papers [ 1 Answers ]

I live in Arkansas. The adopting couple (of my beautiful little girl) live in Ohio. Can I sign the adoption papers here in Arkansas, or do I have to go up there?

Served Papers [ 1 Answers ]

I got served papers a 30 days ago by my sons father. We currently do not have anything on paper about who has custody and have not since he was born. Our son spends 3 days a week with him and 4 days with me. I live an hour away from his father and the papers that I got served with are asking for...

View more questions Search