Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CasperD Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 2, 2006, 10:00 PM
    How long does ex have to remove belongings?
    Hello,

My ex abandoned me 2 1/2 years of marriage in April 2004. I divorced her (NYS final decree in September 2005). The house was mine before the marriage and is 100% mine after the marriage.

She left 2 1/2 rooms of her furniture and belongings in my house. She refuses to remove them until the end of May 2006.

My house is tiny and I have other demands that require that space taken up by her stuff. I have asked her to remove her stuff, but she keeps making excuses about not having the time or money to move. This while she voluntarily 'retired' from the workforce and takes vacations all over the globe. She has made "legal" threats against me warning me not to move her belongings from the positions she left them in.

What recourse do I have?

Thank you
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Jan 3, 2006, 06:39 AM
    Stuff
    Hi, Casper,
    If you are officially and legally divorced, papers signed and all, get rid of the stuff.
    Your ex is just playing with you, and apparently doesn't want the stuff. Otherwise, she would have moved it by now.
    Divorce is final; get rid of it.
    Happy New Year!
    nymphetamine Posts: 900, Reputation: 109

Jan 3, 2006, 06:44 AM
    The best thing you can do is talk to a lawyer about this situation and maybe something can be done about her things. This is just a silly little game she is playing just to be a you know what or maybe she thinks that by leaving her things there you will be reminded of certain things and want her back. Whatever the case she needs to get her junk and get it gone and a lawyer can help you make that happen.
    s_cianci Posts: 5,472, Reputation: 760
    Uber Member

Jan 5, 2006, 08:35 PM
    Speak to an attorney and find out what the statute of limitations is for such a case. I'm guessing probably 6 months (which will take you to Mar. 2006.) After then, anything she left behind is legally yours to dispose of as you wish ; keep it, sell it, give it away, trash it, etc.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 5, 2006, 10:43 PM
    Storage
    This should have been addressed by the court, I would call my divorce attorney and get them to give you the opinion.

My opinion is that about one day after the divorce decree was final, it would have been sitting on the curb. And actually it would have been there about one day after she left
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 8, 2006, 03:44 PM
    How about getting a neutral party to inventory the furniture, videotaping it being packed up and then having it delivered to her place of residence?

Or putting it into a storage unit, taken out in her name?
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 8, 2006, 10:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wynelle
    How about getting a neutral party to inventory the furniture, videotaping it being packed up and then having it delivered to her place of residence?

Or putting it into a storage unit, taken out in her name?
    Yes, but then he has to pay for those costs and then try to recover the costs.

Tossing it would be easier.
    wynelle Posts: 184, Reputation: 21

Feb 9, 2006, 02:29 PM
    True, but Judge Judy and Judge Millian would both have conniptions. But if he sent her a certified letter stating that if it wasn't picked up by XXX date, it would be placed on the curb. That might fly.
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 9, 2006, 02:46 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wynelle
    True, but Judge Judy and Judge Millian would both have conniptions. But if he sent her a certified letter stating that if it wasn't picked up by XXX date, it would be placed on the curb. That might fly.
    Indeed.

Send her a certified letter telling her to remove her stuff by XXX, then toss it. Judge Judy would approve of that for sure! Provided the XXX date wasn't like 2 days after you got the letter.
    bskinner57 Posts: 45, Reputation: 2

Feb 10, 2006, 10:47 AM
    Talk to a lawyer and see if you can charge storage fees. Your lawer who handled the divorce should be able to help you.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 10, 2006, 02:09 PM
    After two years are you kidding ,that stuff should have been gone as it looks abandoned to me.
    giggles Posts: 143, Reputation: 27

Feb 10, 2006, 02:18 PM
    Check with your lawyer. Then you can probably give it to charity. Don't ever let her know you consulted a lawyer about this either. It sounds like a bizarre psychological avoidance of walking out on you... "after all , her stuff is still in the house" kind of thing. Here is the nice part of being deserted by someone - you generally get more insight and learning from it. She, obviously is still running away, still playing games, and being generally selfish towards you, whereas you have moved on - and want your home back! This is completely understandable. Maybe tell her you've promised it to a charity and it will be given away unless she makes provisions to collect it.
    Two years is a seriously long time to give her that leeway, don't you think?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help remove old scars? [ 17 Answers ]

I have this old scar on my leg since I was little.. I won't wear shorts or anything that will show my legs beacause of the scars.I've tired to cover it up with makeup but it doesn't look right cause my legs are so light.. can anyone suggest anything?:(

Question about Belongings... [ 2 Answers ]

I signed a 6-month lease on January 1, 2006. The person I was rooming with had lived in the house already for a year. He had the only copy of the lease. When I paid rent, I gave him cash (I did not get receipts because he was a friend) and bills were the same way. After the lease was to be up on...

Add/Remove Programs doesn't have REMOVE option [ 4 Answers ]

In Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs on Windows XP Home, some of the programs do not have the REMOVE button below them. WHY not? How do I remove programs from the Add or Remove Function, when it displays the program, but when I highlight it, it doesn't give the option to REMOVE it?

Help me remove this thing [ 1 Answers ]

Hie everyone, Someone has installed a pool game from Yahoo games on my PC. When I went to the control panel in add/remove to get rid of it, it didn't show up as one of the programs. Please help, how do I remove this?

How to remove HAXDOOR-H? [ 2 Answers ]

It shows up in my spybot search and destroy. When I go to my security tab in ignore products it shows this trojan. Do I need to worry about it? Shouldn't I remove it? If so can anyone give me some direction? Don

View more questions Search