Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thiansky Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 19, 2007, 03:41 PM
    How to find where someone works
    I have a past renter that moved out and owes me back rent, damages, cleaning services, and fines. The sheriff has not been able to serve the summons to the past tenant at her residence; apparently she is avoiding the issue and not answering the door. She's knows I am after her for past money due. What is the cheapest way to go about finding where she works so she can be served the summons there? She got married and bought a home with her husband. I know where he works but that does not do me much good if the sheriff has to hand her summons in person.

Thanks,
    Greg
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Dec 19, 2007, 03:46 PM
    You do know where she lives though?

Sometimes, in some states, a subpoena served by regular mail, along with a copy sent via certified mail return receipt requested will suffice. Have you checked out that route yet?

Many states will consider that as proper service.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Dec 20, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by thiansky
    I have a past renter that moved out and owes me back rent, damages, cleaning services, and fines. The sheriff has not been able to serve the summons to the past tenant at her residence; apparently she is avoiding the issue and not answering the door. She's knows I am after her for past money due. What is the cheapest way to go about finding where she works so she can be served the summons there? She got married and bought a home with her husband. I know where he works but that does not do me much good if the sheriff has to hand her summons in person.

Thanks,
    Greg

I have run into this scenario on occasion - eventually she has to leave the house so depending on how much money is involved pay a process server to sit down the street and wait for her to come out. Also the Sheriff should advise you if there are other options - nail and mail, sub service, etc. In NYS the only summons that must be personally served is in a matrimonial action.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 20, 2007, 06:53 AM
    If you want to know where she works, sit outside her home and follow her to work, that is the cheapest, next and best, hire an investigator to do it.
    Also see if your state allows private service, as a off duty officer I used to serve all types of paper work for the courts. We loved to pretend, be pizza delivery people for some, but our favorite was in "bad" areas pretend to be bail enforcement, the people knew they were not wanted for skipping bail and would show us all their id to prove who they were. So we knew we then served the right person

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do you find where someone works? [ 5 Answers ]

I recently won a case where I sued someone for hitting my car. Now the only problem is that they are not paying me what they owe. Now I have to file a Writ of Execution to garnish their wages but first I need to find out where they work but I do not want to subsribe any website nor pay any fees. ...

HOW can I find old age homes in BARRIE Ontario? I need to find my mom! [ 3 Answers ]

Hi there, just wondering if someone could find me a listof them all, thanks!

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Fan works but light doesn't. Fixed and now the light works but fan doesn't [ 9 Answers ]

While I was at college somehow my fan stopped working. There is absolutely no explination from anybody but my mom did get a replacement so I didn't care too much. The fan has a ground from the mount(copper), ground from the middle of the fan(copper), a hot for the light(blue), hot for the...

View more questions Search