Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    lacuran8626's Avatar
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57
    Full Member

    Mar 4, 2007, 10:08 AM
    Moving out of state with child post-divorce
    I live in Minnesota and have begun legal process to leave the state with my son, of whom I have physical custody. Any of you been through this? Suggestions? Advice? I am moving toward employment, family and friends back to my home town, in large part to take over a long-established family business.

    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Mar 4, 2007, 07:39 PM
    It sounds like you have all your ducks in a row as far as custody and permission to take your child with when you move. My ex would not allow me to take me son out of state when I had the opportunity to move to the Twin Cities. He pulled out his "Dad" card and the Judge fell for it. I later did move, but not to the Twin Cities. I was able to get the Judge see my points and was allowed to move.

    It will be great to be back to your family and friends and the places you know so well. A breath of fresh air, most likely. The transition for your son will go much easier, as you will be comfortable with this. All moves are stressful, even the good ones. I had packed two emergency boxes that I put in the car - things I would need if the movers did not make it there before me and also to use right away and not dig through all the boxes.

    I wish you and your son all the very best in the move. Much success to you.
    lacuran8626's Avatar
    lacuran8626 Posts: 270, Reputation: 57
    Full Member

    Mar 4, 2007, 09:04 PM
    Thank you for the insight. Funny, the Twin Cities is where I am and I can't get out of here fast enough... Chicago is home.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Moving out of state... No costody established... [ 5 Answers ]

:confused: Can I move out of the state of California if no costody has been granted to either parent and the child has resided with me since birth?

Divorce and Moving Out of FL [ 6 Answers ]

Short story - My ex had a 2 year affair, left myself and my 3 young children for another woman. We divorced. I will now be moving back to NJ where I have the support of family and friends. Does anyone know how the courts rule in Florida if the husband opposes? There is nothing in my divorce...

Moving out of state [ 14 Answers ]

Ok for now I live in Maryland and my daughters father lives in pa I want to move to Arizona with my mom and take my daughter with me, we have joint custody and I was wondering if I can still move out of state or what I have to do about it

Moving out of state; can I take insurance? [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I'm getting an individual policy through the guaranteed issue clause right now, and am wondering if I will be able to keep my plan if and when I move out of state. I have a preexisting condition, so I will be rejected for individual plans, and I read that you only get the guaranteed issue...

View more questions Search