Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    BETTIEBANGBANG Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 26, 2005, 11:41 AM
    Divorce And Immigration Laws In California
    I was roughly engaged and recently got married in February at the age of 18, my boyfriend at the time was having his immigration status reviewed so he asked to push the day forward. I agreed as to the fact that we were already engaged, he was terrified of being deported because of a domestic violence charge and 2 dui's that were being reviewed. After the marriage was finalized his whole demeanor changed and I was being yelled at and locked in the room a whole possesive nature overtook him, he would get mysterious phone calls and would come home drunk and high after being out in the streets he stopped taking the necessary substance abuse and anger management classes that the court had ordered. It was as if he thought the fact that he was married to an american citizen would grant him immunity to deportation. I moved out of the house, I could not take the mental and emotion pain that he would inflict on me with his cruel words and drunkenness, I agreed to move back with him when he finished his classes on condition that he took marriage counsling with me. He did neither and one day, I caught him in a lie with a girl. The next day he admitted to me that he had been cheating on me with the girl and that "things" had happened and she spent the night with him the last couple of nights insinuating with out directly admitting they had slept together. He also said that only reason the marriage took place was because his mother pressured him into it and he would not have married me otherwise! I became extremely distraught and upset. This all took place in June, then in December he apolgized for ruining my life, marrying me under a false pretense and agreed to pay for the divorce and sign the paperwork and adamantly denies the cheating, now he says he will not, my mother did some investigative work and he has a warrant for his arrest once again on batter charges...

    What rights do I have as a us citizen who was lied to and coerced into a marriage under a false pretense?

    Please help I do not know what to do or who to consult...
    CaptainForest's Avatar
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

    Dec 26, 2005, 07:47 PM

    Sorry to hear about the rough times you are having.

    You asked, "what rights do i have as a us citizen who was lied to and coerced into a marriage under a false pretense?"

    2 choices.

    Option 1: You can file for an annulment on the ground of marrying you under false pretence or whatever. Those are really your only options in this case.

    Option 2, Divorce him and use this against him plus you can inform him you know of the warrant for his arrest on batter charges.

    It is good that you are getting out now. I would recommend an annulment from him. That way it would be like you never married him in the first place.
    Roel Zylstra's Avatar
    Roel Zylstra Posts: 84, Reputation: 14
    Tech entrepreneur, perpetual student,lover of life

    Dec 26, 2005, 11:11 PM
    I don't know how angry you are at him, but he sounds like a terrible person. Maybe an annulment would help get him deported. You definitely should speak with a lawyer. Also, you may learn the ins and outs of california divorce with these books from Nolo Press. You may be able to find them in your local bookstore. And you can read about annulment online at Nolo also.
    flashbakx's Avatar
    flashbakx Posts: 10, Reputation: 2
    New Member

    Feb 6, 2006, 07:02 AM
    All the information you need is right here, Contact them.
    baglesbeltran's Avatar
    baglesbeltran Posts: 4, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Feb 18, 2006, 07:11 AM
    Contact your congressman/woman. They can't help but they can send a letter with yours to immigration. I went through the same thing and I am still fighting but now I am winning. Good luck. Sorry to say your case is not unique. It happens hundreds of times a day. This is the new wave of getting your green card.
    Fr_Chuck's Avatar
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,305, Reputation: 7692

    Feb 18, 2006, 07:31 AM
    First you move out and fast before you are hurt physcially.
    That is for your protection.

    Next consult the attorney that was helping with your immigration.

    You can worry about a divorce or annulment latter, at this point merely get to a safe place for you

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Immigration and Divorce [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, Im going through a separation and I need some help understanding where I stand and what I can do as far as removing her legal status. Im married for 3 years and 6 months in Feb. 07, 2003 with a Mexican citizen and for the first two years of marriage I did not submitted her I-130 petition...

Debate on Immigration laws [ 13 Answers ]

I need help on writing a debate about whether immigration laws should be inforced more on not. I need facts from both sides of the debate. Anyone have any tips or sites?

Divorce and immigration [ 6 Answers ]

My husband and I have the longest wait time for legal paperwork to get done... it's been two years and still waiting. However, I do not want to stay married, and while we were married legitimately, I was wondering if anyone can tell me if I can get a legal separation without screwing up his...

California divorce [ 6 Answers ]

I have been separated from my wife for about 4 or 5 years. We have a daughter together and have completely moved on with our lives. We get a long great but we simply have never gotten a divorce. I really need to get the process started now with my current relationship slowly moving that...

Divorce Laws in Arkansas [ 1 Answers ]

Do husbands and wives split property 50 - 50 as they do in California?

View more questions Search