Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    tjack31's Avatar
    tjack31 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Jun 21, 2007, 12:57 PM
    Can wife move out of state with child after divorce and residency in state
    My wife and I are living in Ohio, have been residents for 9 months and have a 14 month old child. If we divorce and she would get custody, could she ever move out of the state
    ScottGem's Avatar
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

    Jun 21, 2007, 12:58 PM
    Depends on what is negotiated in the divorce decree. If you are given joint custody with frequent visitation she would proably have to get court approval to move.
    shygrneyzs's Avatar
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

    Jun 21, 2007, 02:54 PM
    I have full custody of my youngest son and if I want to move out of state, I still need to get my ex's permission. If he says no, then I can go to the Judge and state my reasons I want to move. That is how my divorce decree states that issue.

    Talk to your attorney. Sometimes the divorce decree uses the standard 'rule" but if you and your wife agree on something, it can be written in.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Out of state (from AZ) move with "joint custody" child? [ 5 Answers ]

I live in AZ and have joint custody of 9-year-old daughter. My ex-wife recently met someone out of state whom she plans on starting a life with, and she just informed me she plans on moving out of state with my daughter at the end of the school year. AZ law will not permit this, will it? What...

2 states: Can I credit state tax of one state to other state [ 1 Answers ]

I have 2 W-2. One from job in Mass. Mass state tax is withheld in that W-2. Then I moved to NC and got a new job in NC. NC state tax is withheld in this second jobs W-2. Both W-2 only have state tax withheld from their corresponding states. So can I credit taxes of one state to another and...

Residency for NC state income tax [ 1 Answers ]

I purchased a house in North Carolina (NC) in June 2006 while living in Florida (FL) in a house I owned. Foreseeing that I would be moving in a couple of weeks, I changed my drivers license to NC in July because I had moved my auto insurance to NC when I bought the house (package deal on...

Moving out of state with child post-divorce [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Minnesota and have begun legal process to leave the state with my son, of whom I have physical custody. Any of you been through this? Suggestions? Advice? I am moving toward employment, family and friends back to my home town, in large part to take over a long-established family...

State taxes--source of income/residency [ 3 Answers ]

Hi So I was a student in NJ till last June (I'm still on F-1 from India), currently doing OPT in IL. I received a fellowship award to come work in IL for 11 months--the income was reported on 1099-MISC box 3. I'm filing as an independent contractor for my federal return. The non-profit that gave...

View more questions Search