I've got easy Fantastico install options for these CMS:

Geeklog
    Joomla
    Mambo Open Source
    phpWCMS
    phpWebSite
    Post-Nuke
    Siteframe

I want one solely for the purpose of allowing my website clients to have the ability to change things on their websites themselves.

I've never used one, so for now just want to choose the one that's easiest to learn and use.

Any opinions out there?

Thanks!
    LTheobald Posts: 1,051, Reputation: 127
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:42 AM
    Good old cPanel & Fantastico. Nice and handy quick installs for a lot of handy apps. Anyway, as for choosiong one. Check out the feature list of each one to see what provides the most. Also check the support community to see if they have a good support base. Then finally - try a couple of them. Either install them or visit their home page for an online demo (e.g. Mambo).

Out of the ones mentioned, I would go with Mambo or Drupal. Those are the ones that I have seen mentioned the most on the internet.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2006, 05:47 AM
    Thanks Lee. Since posting the question, I'm even more confuzed.

All I really want to do at this point is make the site - then designate areas that my client can edit herself.

I think a CMS is way overboard.

I'm now looking at something like Fckeditor but it's all french to me.

Is there an easy way that you know of to allow a client to edit parts (text) of her site herself?
    TechProNow Posts: 29, Reputation: 2

Feb 25, 2006, 11:30 PM
    I have used Mambo, and Xoops.

I like them both, and they both have great features and advantages.

I am particularly fond of Xoops though, I like the community mostly.

I have built many websites, either static or dynamic. But the thing that I like most about CMS systems, is that it is easy to integrate multiple modules together in the database, so that the entire site is uniform.

I am not the best PHP developer, and maybe that is why my liking for CMS systems is so strong.

I can integrate a shopping cart like ZenCart or OScommerce, with a forum, and a download section, and accept payments with a paid membership module and they all work together uniformily with the same login, and the same interface, and the same layout for all modules.

That is just beautiful.

I could do all of that on my own, even though my programming skills are weak.
    But editing the tables in MySQL and connection a config file to work uniformily with all installed modules is fairly easy to do.

But to do it without all of the time overhead is AWESOME!

So yeah, CMS is a friend of mine, and I recommend Xoops!

Hope that helps!
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Feb 27, 2006, 04:08 AM
    Thanks, TechPro.

Dreamweaver and my host's CPanel do everything I want as far as development goes, so in this case the only benefit I'd immediately get is that my clients could edit parts of their sites themselves...

So since it involves software, I'd much rather train my client to open a page in Dreamweaver - and give her access to that one page.

If I ever do go the CMS route, I'll take a look at Xoops.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

<Adult Content> Orgasms [ 6 Answers ]

What is the capacity for a female to have multiple orgasms; is there a maximum? I ask this because I recently had an experience that has left me quite stunned. I was having a relationship with a fabulous woman who also had an incredible sex drive. From the first time we were intimate she had...

Content Advisor [ 5 Answers ]

"Hi, My PC Win XP at work has been converted into a paper weight by our IT guy. He has restricted nearly the entire web from being displayed. Is there any back door you know of for me to make the change in content advisor without knowing his admin log-on and password?";

Content Advisor [ 3 Answers ]

"Hi, My PC Win XP at work has been converted into a paper weight by our IT guy. He has restricted nearly the entire web from being displayed. Is there any back door you know of for me to make the change in content advisor without knowing his admin log-on and password?";

Content advisor [ 7 Answers ]

View more questions Search