Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
    stbt2001's Avatar
    stbt2001 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1
    New Member

    Dec 11, 2010, 09:39 AM
    My husband and I have custody of our niece and nephew until there 18yrs old. Their mother just got approve for ssd can these children draw a check off hers and if so what do we need to do? Do we file for the kids or does she? Help please
    twinkiedooter's Avatar
    twinkiedooter Posts: 12,172, Reputation: 1054
    Uber Member

    Dec 11, 2010, 09:55 AM

    She needs to file for the kids and have you named payee for the kids. Have her go down to the Social Security Office in perosn with their birth certificates and her ID and sign them up.
    joypulv's Avatar
    joypulv Posts: 21,593, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

    Dec 11, 2010, 11:08 AM
    Her SSD covers her only, and won't be enough to provide support.
    It would be reasonable to ask her how much she's getting, and if a retroactive payment is coming, often several months worth. She might be willing to give you some of it. I doubt that she has to, but could be wrong, since I don't know the custody terms.
    its2am's Avatar
    its2am Posts: 28, Reputation: 5
    New Member

    Dec 13, 2010, 02:42 PM
    What type of custody do you have? Full, partial, temporary, permanent, adopted, court ordered. You should be eligible for child support payments from both parents. If the children went through the court system then they should have a case manager or advocate. The children could qualify on their own for coverage such as health care and food stamps. You may have access to foster care benefits. You owe it to the children to get every benefit available to them and make it as financially easy for you as possible. I am sending you a hug over the internet, I highly commend you for raising your relatives children. It's almost that time of year, make sure you are the only one claiming them as dependents, you will get a pretty decent tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions


Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

SS benefits [ 2 Answers ]

I have a step daughter who's biological father passed away 7 months before her 18th birthday. She received SS up until she turned 18 then it stopped. Now mind you he never paid shild support because the mother never forced the issue because she had me to carry the load which I didn't mind cause I...

SS benefits [ 10 Answers ]

My friend is turning in to age 66 next year he is working and wants to continue working, his question is shall he apply for his SS benefits at age 66 or will be better for him until age 70, Thanks. John

Why don't we get benefits [ 6 Answers ]

I work for a food company that also owns a golf course. The golf course employees are hired and paid by the food company. We have there insurance, and there holiday. There stock is private, and only can be bought by employees, which we can buy. The food company has a 401-k plan, and they get stock...

What are benefits? [ 6 Answers ]

Are there any community benefits that come out of forensic science?:confused:

View more questions Search