Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jcarnivale Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 18, 2008, 03:07 PM
    HP Pavilion a1020n Fan Noise
    I have the above model desktop. A few months back I noticed the fan started running almost at a higher speed or output. It lasts for less than 30 seconds, then it returns to the normal fan sound. It's loud when it kicks in. Any ideas as to why this is happening and what I can do?
    xphelper Posts: 220, Reputation: 29

Feb 18, 2008, 05:23 PM
    Hello,
    I am not inherently familiar with HP PCs but it sounds like your fan speed is being controlled by a temperature sensor on the motherboard. If so, the fan will speed up as the temperature rises and slow down when it start to lower. A normal cause for a temperature rise would be doing something that is cpu intensive (like playing a game). However, once done the temperature should start to lower and the fan should slow down. So, if you cannot correlate any activity to the increase in fan speed then you may have a problem with either the fan, motherboard sensor, and or a poor ventilation problem with the case. Now, poor ventilation is normally caused by dust buildup in the front and rear vents and also the fan blades so make sure your intake and exhaust vents are not blocked and check those fan blades too. A periodic cleaning is also recommended (at least once or twice a year). Hope this helps.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ceiling Fan Noise [ 1 Answers ]

What causes a ceiling fan to have a ticking sound on the low speed only.

Ceiling fan noise [ 1 Answers ]

Our Hampton Bay Windward II remote controlled celing fan/light, which we've had up for 5 years, has always hummed loudly when turned on. When my husband lifted the motor off the ceiling housing - it quiets somewhat. The rubber isolator pad was installed between the bracket and ceiling box. Is...

Fan Motor Noise [ 3 Answers ]

I have a newer home, all wiring is up to code. The house came with 4 ceiling fans, all of which had motor noise. I replaced 3 of them and added a new 1 to another room on a new circuit. All 5 fans are Hunters. The newly added 1 has no problems and only works off a remote, no noise at all. 1...

Ceiling fan with light kit on separate switches [ 1 Answers ]

I have recently replaced a ceiling fan with light kit with a newer model. I hooked up the wires from the new fan/light to the same wires in the ceiling box that the old fan was hooked up to. There are two switches on the wall plate, one for the light and one for the fan. When I hooked up the new...

View more questions Search