Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sword_girl Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2005, 03:03 PM
    Daschund Ill
    My daschund is turning four this Dec. 15, and she's having problems that aren't becoming of her personality. Meaning, she used to be active, and very energetic, but nowadays she's very lethargic, and has a habit of "sitting" everywhere. I hope it isn't her back, but I can't find a lot of information on it - she's overweight, but not obese. She's merely quite plump. What should I do? What's going on?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Sep 12, 2005, 04:29 PM
    Dogs' personalities mature at 3 years old and they do settle down at that time. She may show a little more life if you get her weight down, not only being able to see a waist, but easily feel the ribs. Keeping her overweight is a sure way of bringing on back problems.

You could try giving her half a 325 mg buffered aspirin a couple of times a day. If that seems to bring back her liveliness, likely she is in pain from something, and needs to see a vet. The aspirin only will be relieving the symptoms, possibly leading to more damage. Do not neglect her.

A vet check up might be a good idea in any case. Something other than pain could be slowing her down.
    Klein Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Sep 12, 2005, 05:51 PM
    When our Miniature Dashchund was six he ruptured a disk in his back. He was not able to jump up onto the couch or the bed like he had in the past. I can't remember if it was the up or the down but there was one direction of the stairs that he could not do. I don't know if you have ever allowed your dog up on the furniture, but if he isn't going up like he used to he is in pain. Our vet took nose to tail x-rays and located the rupture. He was treated with steroids and anti-inflamatories. The vet thought he would be on steroids for the rest of his life, but he did recover. I would take your dog in to get him checked out - you don't want to risk something serious.

Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Daschund [ 4 Answers ]

I have a five month old Daschund. Can you please tell me at what age will he be considered full grown??

Daschund,daschund,daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Why is it that I am seeing daschund questions so frequently? Has anyone else noticed that?

I'm 12 getting a Daschund, hopefully... [ 7 Answers ]

I'm 12 (almost 13) and my Nickname (I will NOT tell my real name, first or last) is Kanari. I'm allowed to get a puppy for my birthday (Apr.2) but it has to be a golden retriever. We have a golden retriever already, and they are cute and beautiful and stuff (And we've had another golden retriever...

Help with my daschund [ 7 Answers ]

THis is my first dog and I've done everything that my moms told me to do with house training he goes pee outside then he comes inside and 10 minutes later I find a puddle, I'm starting to get fed up with cleaning it up all the time. What should I do? Oh and another thing HE TARES EVERYTHING UP!!...

New Daschund [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, We just got a new little mini daschund, a male. WE have had him about 10 days and he just turned 8 weeks. We are doing OK with the pottie training but are having difficulty with the crate. Our breeder suggested paper and out side training and we were doing both.. Taking him out...

View more questions Search