Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 9, 2007, 01:50 PM
    Alarm @ Startup + Keyboard & Mouse Failure
    Here's the dealio - system is a Dell desktop running windows xp. I was attempting to connect to the internet with a wireless connection when the mouse stopped working... followed by the keyboard. I found out that the mouse was unplugged and plugged it back in, but neither will work. I have tried using others from other working computers, but neither the mouse nor keyboard will function. So, I tried restarting the system and upon startup an alarm (no other way to describe it) sounds from the system speakers. Both the mouse and keyboard are PS/2. Any ideas/suggestions??
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Oct 9, 2007, 02:05 PM
    Silly question, but are they both plugged in correctly?
    KK2 Posts: 40, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2007, 07:31 AM
    Thanks for your reply & that's actually not a silly question at all given the day that I had yesterday.

Both were plugged in correctly & working fine and then bleep - nothing. After more blind trouble shooting it seems that it was a bad keyboard. Once I unplugged the keyboard the mouse started to work... then I replaced the keyboard and the system works fine now. Crazy thing.

Thanks again!
    benn11 Posts: 1,036, Reputation: 43
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2007, 07:47 AM
    One suggestion is that you don't plug in PS/2 connector when the PC is on, it might cause a short circuit and can harm your motherboard..

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Keyboard freezes and takes PS/2 mouse with it ! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I ran Windows Update yesterday and ever since, my PS/2 keyboard doesn't work in XP. Everything on my computer is up-to-date. I cleaned the computer with Adaware, Spybot, Windows Defender before running Windows Update and ever since, whenever XP starts up, as soon as I press a key on the...

Wireless keyboard / Mouse problem [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I wonder if anyone can offer any help on an odd problem I'm having with a Logitech wireless keyboard & mouse? The receiver has a cable with 2 connectors, the instructions say (for a desktop) connect the mouse ps2 connector into the mouse ps2 port and the keyboard usb connector via the...

Wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse problems [ 3 Answers ]

I just installed a wireless USB Keyboard/Mouse and have 2 problems: 1. The mouse keeps freezing, I have used the signal connect buttons with some luck and it Will work great for a while before freezing again. A neighbor suggested that CB Radios From nearby truck stop may...

Using 1 keyboard and 1 mouse for 2 computers [ 2 Answers ]

I am using to machines (PCs) with 2 keyboards and 2 mouses. Is there a way to have only one mouse and a key board as I have to software to be used at one time?

Microsoft Keyboard & Mouse Pack [ 3 Answers ]

I have a Microsoft wireless keyboard and mouse pack and it just does not seem to work. It operates perfectly in Microsoft word or open office or indeed anything except games. While playing Battlefield 2 or GTA:San Andreas it will seem to drop it's signal. While running the character will all of...

View more questions Search