Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jules0522 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 19, 2008, 12:54 PM
    gum treatment before crown
    Hello,

Over a month ago, a big filling fell out and took part of my existing tooth with it. It does not hurt but I was left with a decent sized hole in which food gets caught. It's a tooth that does the heavy chewing in the back. My dentist said a crown would be the best solution because a filling would be temporary. I had surgery July 1 so I waited until now. Just saw him today and now he said the surrounding gums look red. He took an x-ray and then perscribed me an antibiotic for a week. He said he would see me back and then do the crown if it looked better. I am leary about this whole situation and would rahter not take an antibiotic. He said there are no alternatives.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
    Thank you,

Julie
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 02:04 PM
    Hi Julie, I don't blame you for not wanting to take the antibiotics but if you know you can tolerate the antibiotics the dentist is recommending, I would say take it. Drink a full glass of water with each pill. If there is redness, and given the time you have had a problem with the tooth, I would feel better taking the antibiotics, making sure all possible infection around the gum area is gone prior to having the crown put on what is left of the existing tooth. My experience and what others share with me, tells me your dentist is following a procedure that is necessary to save your tooth and keep your body healthy on the whole. Best to you!

You might think about eating yogurt while on the antibiotics, as it will replace good bacteria needed in your body. Antibiotics kill out bad and good bacteria. You may not have any problem needing the yogurt but if you are prone to yeast infections, it is just a good precaution. (Look on the label. The yogurt you need will say "live bacteria"... some are just tasty little concoctions but of no real value... but if 'live' then it should balance your system out.

I have a difficult time tolerating antibiotics of any kind but your dentist may be willing to give you a few sample pills to make sure you can tolerate them prior to purchasing the prescription. I would ask him/her.
    flossie Posts: 1,903, Reputation: 181
    Ultra Member

Aug 19, 2008, 05:22 PM
    Hi Julie,

The red gums definitely mean there is infection. It's necessary to get the infection cleared up before the crown prep is done. If there is infection present at the time of the crown prep the dentist will have to deal with excessive bleeding and will have difficulty getting a good impression for your crown to be made from. If you want a crown with tight margins, take the antibiotic to make it easier for both you and your dentist.
    You may also try using warm salt water rinses while on the antibiotic.
    Good luck.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Crown vs. Post crown [ 3 Answers ]

I have been having a problem with a dental office I recently began visiting. Two dentists are at the site (one is retiring) and one recommends one thing, then when I sit in the chair to get the work done the other dentist comes in and recommends something completely different. I am going to...

Crown Lengething .how long before crown put on [ 1 Answers ]

I have a question regarding crown lengething. I had the procedure done when I had my wisdom teeth removed on a back molar and a temporary was placed on that tooth. Due to insurance issues I was not able to get the perminate till after the new year. How long does it take for the area to heal and...

Can someone tell me about a crown? [ 5 Answers ]

When is it necessary to get a crown?

Confused about Crown [ 1 Answers ]

I had a root canal 5 years ago and a crown put on top, on the bottom right part of my mouth. It fit well and I experienced no pain. A month ago I went to the dentist for a bonding on the upper right side of my mouth and suddenly my crown began to hurt. It is very painful to chew, and it is very...

Healing after crown treatment [ 4 Answers ]

How long does it take for a tooth after RCT and a crown treatment to fully heal? I got a crown on one of my molars 6 weeks ago (on a tooth I was told originally had only a medium-sized cavity... ) Everything seemed fine afterwards but lately that area's been feeling sore. Is this normal a few weeks...

View more questions Search