Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    degrawj Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 7, 2006, 09:21 AM
    Mower sharpening
    I have a very small lawn service but want to keep my blades sharp. It gets expensive having a service company do it. I have a small grinder. What's the best way to sharpen them--in particular, is there a product that can somehow hold the blade and thus insure an even balance/sharpness? I
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 09:45 AM
    HI,
    Here is a link, showing pictures and using a file with a blade balancer:
    http://www.rd.com/familyhandyman/art...pen/mower.html

There is also an electric drill sharpener, available from hardware stores. It is a coarse or fine sharpener, and has a hard plastic "guide" attached to it... specifically for sharpening lawn mower blades. I only have one mower, and it does work great for just one. I use the method of turning the mower over slightly to one side (not front to back), taking off the spark plug wire, holding it up with a block, getting to the blade with the electric drill and blade sharpener.
    Here is a picture of one, under the heading "Unifit Blade Sharpener":
    http://www.nextag.com/blade-sharpener/search-html
    Best wishes, and good luck.
    thebriggsdude Posts: 1,096, Reputation: 53
    Ultra Member

Apr 7, 2006, 01:41 PM
    For quickness, nothing beats a grinder... cheap and simple way to check for balance, put a nail in a post, hang it by the bolt hole and check to see if its level, the side it goes off towards is the side to take more steel off. Hand filing is all right, but very slow. If you have a table and a couple clamps, you can clamp the blade down while you take the grinder to it... other then that, small engine shops should be able to do it dirt cheap.
    son Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2008, 04:07 PM
    What angle setting do you use to sharpen circular saw blades ?
    MOWERMAN2468 Posts: 3,214, Reputation: 243
    Ultra Member

May 17, 2008, 07:25 PM
    Yes, there is even blade sharpening machines available, but you would have to sharpen your blades for quite some time to break even.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Too much oil in the mower-Please help anyone [ 7 Answers ]

I got my push mower out for the season and did the regular tune up - It was running great for the first mow. I checked the oil and subsequently ended putting too much oil in the mower and tried to start it for the second mow - I can not get it started - I have drained the excess oil, cleaned out...

Mtd mower won't mow [ 1 Answers ]

The lever that engages the mower blades on my mtd riding mower has started to go to far toward the steering wheel so the belts engage at the 1/2 way mark but then disengage because its gone too far. How do I fix this? Thank you

Lawn mower help [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 18.5 poulan pro 42" 2 years old. It will start but no matter what I do it kills, like hitting the kill switch. If I let out the clutch, even in neutral it kills. Engage blades or anything it kills. And the weirdest thing is that the kill switch in the seat doesn't kill it. I really...

Mower trouble [ 3 Answers ]

:p I really hate mowers. My mom just bought a new oldish riding lawn mower. Once we got a new battery it ran great the only problem was that the blade wasn't cutting but we got that problem solved. :o :o we just had to apply the attachment clutch. After that it was running great then it ran out...

Mower trouble [ 3 Answers ]

I have a masport Tecumseh mower model number TVS90 43754P.It starts but revs up and down then conks out I've changed the paper filter and empted the fuel tank and put clean unleaded fuel back in any information on what would make it to do this would be great :confused:

View more questions Search