Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tjpapa Posts: 22, Reputation: 2

Feb 16, 2006, 06:13 PM
    Cost for refinishing Porcelain bath tub
    I'm refinishing an old porcelain bath tub and have received an estimate of $400 for the job to be completed by a professional. I thought that was a bit steep considering the tub is in pretty darn good shape. There are no cracks, no rust stains and no major flaws. It just needs a good cleaning to bring it's sparkle back to life. Any thoughts on costs or alternative ways of refinishing the tub?

Thanks,
    TJ - San Diego
    skiberger Posts: 562, Reputation: 41

Feb 17, 2006, 06:57 AM
    I'm sure there are products out there for tubs that should bring some shine back to them. Hopefully some one here could give you an idea.
    As for the estimate, 400.00 doesn't seem to bad. Did you get any more estimates? A friend of mine had his tub and tile reglazed. He went from peptobismal pink to white. The company gave him a 5 year warranty on the tub glazing. If they give you a warranty that is worth it, go for it. It will look better than it does now.
    haus Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Feb 19, 2006, 09:42 AM
    IIRC, Miracle Method was about $1000 to do a full size tub and tile surround in the bay area. Tub-only was less than that, but I think it was more than $400. If it just needs a good cleaning, have you considered just trying products like soft scrub with bleach and CLR?
    berk2don Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 2, 2007, 05:17 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tjpapa
    I'm refinishing an old porcelain bath tub and have received an estimate of $400 for the job to be completed by a professional. I thought that was a bit steep considering the tub is in pretty darn good shape. There are no cracks, no rust stains and no major flaws. It just needs a good cleaning to bring it's sparkle back to life. Any thoughts on costs or alternative ways of refinishing the tub?

Thanks,
    TJ - San Diego
    Believe it or not that's the going rate, call different companies there competitive. But keep in mind different have a paper thin shiny glaze when there new, through the years of using comet or ajax even bleach will take that shiny gaze off, the tub may look white but if the inside of your tub is shiny like the outside of the tub your okay, but if it's not, then your shiny gaze is gone and you can't bring that back. The cost of replacing a tub can run as much as $3000.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Converting half bath to full bath [ 9 Answers ]

My question refers to a half bath we are in the planning stages of converting to a full bath in the basement. Currently our basement has a half bath with toilet and sink on one half of the basement. There is then a shower on the other side of the basement with the washer and dryer, about 30 feet...

Cutting cement for plumbing 3/4 bath to full bath [ 3 Answers ]

We are currently in the middle of changing our basement 3/4 bath into a full bath. The bathroom is 5.5' by 13.5'. We want to put the sink where the shower was and put a tub/shower where the sink was. (because the space where the shower was is too small for a tub). The old sink drain is centered 4...

Repair a porcelain crown [ 1 Answers ]

I have had a porcelain crown on tooth #3 for several years. Recently, I had to have a root canal on that tooth. The Endodontist put a temporary filling in the tooth after completing the root canal and told me to return to my regular dentist to have the crown "repaired". What does repairing a...

How to refinish porcelain bathtub [ 2 Answers ]

We have an bathtub that we believe has a porcelain finish... No rust, and not really rough, but will not clean up any more... We would like to refinish it, and have no idea how to go about it... Thanks for your help. TJ

Opportunity cost vs relevant cost [ 2 Answers ]

I am confused between the two costs, opportunity cost and relevant cost. What's the relation between them and difference from each ? Can someone help to explain it? Thx.

View more questions Search