Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Curious_girl16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2013, 11:53 AM
    Is it legal for a 16 year old girl to date a 25 year old boy in Alberta, Canada?
    I do not want opinions, I want the law, all I need to kkow is if its legal, and if there are any further details. I have known this man since I was just a child, but fell in love with him when I was 14. I would like to move in with him, and I need to know if it is legal? My parents are aware with the situation but don't particularly agree with it. Please reply; I need to know! Thanks
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Mar 7, 2013, 11:56 AM
    Legal, maybe, advisable certainly NOT.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 11:59 AM
    Where are you located?

Date, yes it's legal. Move in with? Not if your parents are against it, since you are still a minor. And if they are against your dating him, they can get him into big trouble.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 12:11 PM
    You can't dictate what kind of replies you want. Now that you mentioned it, you will hear all pros and cons including the two accurate ones you already have.

Here is my opinion. I don't know what a 25 year old man wants with a 16 year old. Oh sorry, you fell in love with him when you were 14, or you mean crushed on him at 14.

I don't think so!
    Curious_girl16 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 7, 2013, 02:22 PM
    I'm 14 and my boyfriend is 24, my mom is letting us go on a date if she goes too!
    I asked my mom if I could go on a date with him and she said yes, but only if she goes. Does that mean she is breaking the law by letting us see each other? I need to know if that could get her in trouble. I live in Alberta, Canada. Please reply! Thanks
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 02:28 PM
    A 24 year old and a 14 year old... your mother has no brains or common sense. What, exactly, does a 24 year old guy want with a 14 year old girl and why would your mother think this is OK even if she is there?

Technically, no, dating itself isn't illegal... but in my opinion it should be... and your mother needs some head examinations too.

On the other hand... I have no idea what to believe from you since your story changes. Before you were 16 and he was 25 (still wrong as far as I'm concerned).

So, what's real?

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...da-737982.html
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 7, 2013, 02:35 PM
    As another answer said, what would a 24 yr old man want with a 14 year old child?
    I can see one reason, but the whole thing doesn't make much sense.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 7, 2013, 03:46 PM
    She hasn't said she is 16. She asked about the law for a 16 year old. She may be planning for when she is 16.
    The age of consent in Canada is 16...
    Your mother won't be breaking the law by going out with you and with him, regardless of ages.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 04:41 PM
    Well, she did imply that she was 16 the way her other question was worded and then this was in there:

but fell in love with him when I was 14.
    I wouldn't think it would be worded that way if she was 14 now... That is why I assumed she was 16.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 05:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg View Post
    ... what would a 24 yr old man want with a 14 year old child?? ...
    Perhaps he doesn't think of it at all as a "date" or as romantic involvement. That might be all in her head. Perhaps he wants to get to know the mom and the OP is imagining things.

Another possibility is that "date" is code for sex. If so, yes, mom would be breaking the law if she allowed them to "see each other" (assuming that phrase is also code for the same thing).
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 06:13 PM
    I suspect your mom was being sarcastic and was trying to discourage you by saying she would have to go on this "date" too. After all, who wants someone's mother on their date?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Mar 7, 2013, 06:14 PM
    Yes I noticed that she said when 14. Many times I have seen teens claim to be the age they desperately want to be and then admitting 'almost.' And even if not, technically she is correct by saying she fell in love when she was 14, if she did. Even if she still is 14.

I have a whole bunch of nieces who all looked 20 when they were 14. Including one who is 14 now! ARRGH
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 06:42 PM
    Bottom line, dating isn't illegal, but any sexual contact is. He can't even kiss you without the potential of ending up in jail.

Mom can consent to you two dating, but nothing else. The legal age of consent in Canada is 16 for anything sexual. I don't know a single 24 year old that would date someone without being able to have sexual contact with that person. So really, why does he want to date you?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 7, 2013, 07:48 PM
    I suspect also that the mother said it was Ok because she suspected that would end it. What 24 yr old would go on a date with a 14 yr old AND her mother. I figure if the 24 yr old realized he was never going to be left alone with this girl he forgets the whole idea.

But if the mother was serious she needs her head handed to her.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 08:45 PM
    Hey wait a minute, I already replied to a post similar to this earlier today from Alberta Canada. Almost same scenario. I can't check it on my IPad though.but she stated she wanted legal facts, and only said her parents knew.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 08:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    Hey wait a minute, I already replied to a post similar to this earlier today from Alberta Canada. Almost same scenario. I can't check it on my IPad though.but she stated she wanted legal facts, and only said her parents knew.
    This one Tick?

Same OP.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/crimin...da-737982.html
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Mar 7, 2013, 09:43 PM
    Let me see on your second post that I deleted, you are only 14 and mom is going on date with you.

So which lie is it, are you 14 or 16?
    Does mom even know?

There are no dating laws as long as parents give permission.

If you are 14 or 16 and your parents allow you to date a 24 year old they are in my opinion very poor parents who have no concern over you
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 8, 2013, 03:50 AM
    I've restored and merged the two threads so we can see the whole story, including the inconsistencies.

I will also note, that you don't dictate how people will respond. But the bottom line here is any adult that seeks to have a romantic relationship with a minor, needs to have his head examined.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it legal for a 16 year old girl to date a 19 year old boy [ 10 Answers ]

I am 16 and this guy is 19, he asked me out but I am not so sure if it is legal. I really love him and he loves me. What do I do?

In the State of Maine is it legal for an 18 year old male to date a 16 year old girl [ 3 Answers ]

My son is 18 years old and wants to date a girl who is 16 years old and will turn 17 years old in 2 weeks. Is this legal?

View more questions Search