Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    necksore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 10:05 AM
    When not to give a gift?
    Hello-

I have a dilemma. My cousin is getting married this year and I don’t know if I should give him anything for the wedding. Here’s why:

This same cousin attended both my sister’s and my wedding without giving any gifts. On top of that, for both weddings, he brought a guest when only he was invited.

At first I wanted to be bigger than him and give a normal gift. But not giving a gift is un-excusable; who doesn’t know that? Plus it happened twice.

So I’m leaning toward giving him something on their registry, and not spend nearly what I would normally. Perhaps even forego the gift receipt.

Is my solution acceptable? If not, what is the best way to handle this?

Thanks,
    Tom
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 10:12 AM
    A gift is just that---a gift. You are not obligated to give a gift when invited to an event.

If you are not comfortable giving a gift, then don't. Give him a card and be happy for him.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 10:16 AM
    I agree with Synnen,

Giving a gift is not mandatory. I would hope that most people would invite people because they want their friends and family to be part of a very important day, not because of what they might give them.

If you are not comfortable giving a gift then don't.
    K_3 Posts: 304, Reputation: 74

Jan 8, 2007, 10:31 AM
    When inviting someone to your wedding. You are inviting them to share the joy of the day and to witness the joining of two people who love one another. If you are inviting them to your wedding to bring a gift, the meaning has been lost someplace. I would far rather have a persons presence at my wedding than for them to send a gift and not come or not to come because they cannot afford a gift. Do not allow material objects become a focal point of a joyous day. Give because you want to and what you want. Not because you are judging what another has done or not done. This is about you and your beliefs and if you are a giving person expecting nothing in return.
    necksore Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 8, 2007, 12:01 PM
    I realize it is up to me and my gift giving feelings. I realize that you do not HAVE to give a gift (me to him or him to me). But no one will disagree that it is the "norm" to give a gift.

So instead of not giving a gift (Two wrongs don't make a right) I'm going to give a gift from the registry that is not up to snuff according to my normal gift giving (ie a smaller dollar amount) or not go at all and give a card.

THAT is what I want to do. THAT is the extent that I wish to celebrate his union. It might have been only slightly more if he had chosen to celebrate mine.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 12:14 PM
    I think that is a good idea. That way you are recognizing the union but you are comfortable with the gift
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Jan 8, 2007, 12:20 PM
    Has anyone considered that maybe he could not afford the gift? Or that He doesn't know proper etiquette for weddings?

There have been times that I could not afford a gift, no not even a $5 gift. Do you know how embarrassing that is?

Maybe he just didn't understand. It was not stated in the OP that he could afford this or that he even knew the protocol for weddings. He couldhave been terribly embarrassed and ashamed if he could not have afforded to give a gift.
    Bluerose Posts: 1,521, Reputation: 310
    Ultra Member

Jan 8, 2007, 02:00 PM
    Like compliments and validation, we shouldn't expect them but it's still nice when they come.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

One time gift [ 1 Answers ]

As the owner of my parent’s home, I thought to sell the property and divide the money with my seven sisters. Would I be responsible for taxes, or could I give it as a gift. I live in Philadelphia Pennsylvania, and the prosperity was given to me by my father 5yrs before his death. Thank you

Gift certificate [ 1 Answers ]

I revived a gift certificate from my job for $300.00 when I went to use it to pay for the hotels the travel agent took his commission out of my certificate can he do that?

Engagement Gift [ 4 Answers ]

Hello. Well one of my very good friends just got engaged recently and I wanted to know if its approprate to get him/her a sort of congratulation gift, or is that a bad idea. Should I just save my money and wait for the wedding? :)

How not to use an inappropriate gift [ 9 Answers ]

Hello All, I would like some advice on how not to hurt a friend's feelings about a gift she gave me. She gave me a new purse for Christmas, which is not one I would ordinarily choose to use. It's a child's wallet so doesn't fit all my cards properly (and I don't have more than I need). ...

Gift for the nun who has everything... [ 8 Answers ]

I wasn't sure whether to put this topic in etiquette or religion, but I thought in religion people might know more about nuns, so... One of the Sisters who taught at my boarding school had cancer and beat it! I was just invited to a party to celebrate. I was not asked to bring a gift, but this...

View more questions Search