Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bizemom Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 6, 2009, 07:59 AM
    My 17 year ago daughter is out on control
    I don't know what to do with my daughter. She has been arrested twice once for fighting in the park and another for giving a drink to a minor at a parade " she said she never did that" but had to spend a night in jail. She is always out drinking on the weekends, got fired from a job, and is doing poorly in school. I don' know what to do with her. She won't talk to me, she is nasty and disrespectful. I need help.
    Mayank Verma Posts: 26, Reputation: 0

May 6, 2009, 11:08 AM

Your daughter is in wrong company and whatever she is doing is the impact of that. You should not say anything to her but someway make her realize that what she is doing may become a reason for spoiling her life! Always try to be friend and try to enjoy a weekend with her, mix with her and then took her out of these slowly
    artlady Posts: 4,208, Reputation: 1477
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 11:35 AM

Depending on where you live there are programs similar to probation for unruly teens.In New York there is a program Called PINS.Person in need of supervision.

You can contact your local dept of child health and they should be able to refer you to programs in your area.

There is also the tough love program for parents and they have many chapters in the U.S.
    liz28 Posts: 4,662, Reputation: 1034
    Ultra Member

May 6, 2009, 11:50 AM

How can your daughter get in trouble for giving a drink to a minor when she is one herself?

Where is she getting the booze from?

She needs counseling, AA, and maybe job corp. Even a in house rehab might work but something needs to be done because it can only get worse from here.
    Gemini54 Posts: 2,871, Reputation: 1116
    Ultra Member

May 7, 2009, 12:44 AM
    Perhaps the first place to start is with the school, your doctor (for referral) or your local community centre.

Lots of organizations run 'good parenting' programs which might assist you with techniques to deal with her behavior. These programs will also put you into contact with other parents that are having these problems, and you won't feel so distressed.

Probably the first thing you need to do, when things are calm, is have a talk with her. What's behind her behavior? What is she rebelling against? She sounds angry and confused and may need to speak with someone herself.

This sort of behavior is often just a phase, and whilst teenagers need to know that they are loved, they also need to know that their parents will not put up with bad behavior.

It's a hard place to be - been there myself! - but you can get through it.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

May 7, 2009, 11:11 AM

She really needs someone to snap her out of this phase. Sometimes she needs to hit rock bottom before realizing it herself. But let's not resort to that.

If you can't get through to her, is there someone that is close to her that could talk some sense into her?

Another option is a change of scenery. I agree with the others that she's hanging around the wrong crowd. Do you have family in another city that she could stay with and get a summer job there.

Regardless of all these suggestions, she has to WANT to change her personality.
    CSUfan4 Posts: 23, Reputation: 3

May 7, 2009, 01:58 PM

You should take her to court and file unruly charges against her IF you feel like you really need to. You can have a court order for counseling, or you can get a social worker. There are many progams for these kinds of teen problems.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 8, 2009, 08:19 AM

She can't be out drinking if you don't let her go out, that part is easy to stop, why is she not grounded expect for school because of all of this

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My 6 yr old daughter is out of control [ 8 Answers ]

I have three children, a son 12, a daughter 10 and my youngest daughter 6. My two older children went through their temper tantrum stage when they were younger between 2 and 4 but it was so mild in comparison of my youngest and the older ones grew out of it. Unfortunately my youngest not only had...

My 18 yr. Old daughter who is in her last year of high school is out of control. [ 13 Answers ]

My 18 yr. old daughter is in her last year of high school. Her father (my ex- husband) died last year and since then she has been living with friends despite my numerous attempts to have her live with me and her younger brother and sister. She tells me that I cannot tell her what to do since she...

15 yr. Old daughter out of control. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I have a 15 yr. old daughter that is completely out of control. A little background, I have been married 15 yrs. And we also have a 5 yr. old boy. My daughter started acting out when she was 12-13 yrs. Old. By this I mean being disrespectful, rude, will not do anything she is told etc. Now...

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father has not seen her in over a year. [ 3 Answers ]

I have a 2 year old daughter and her father left me when she was 5 months old and the last time he saw her was 2 weeks before Christmas 2006, he and I were never married. He knows where she is and how to get ahold of me and see her, but has failed in trying to contact me or see her. I do not have a...

My Daughter Is Getting Outa Control [ 11 Answers ]

I Need Some Help Here!! I Have A 16 Year Old Daughter. She Is A Bright, Beautiful, Amazing Young Lady That Has Decided To Destroy Her Life. She Is Using Drugs Skipping School Doing Everything She Can To Disobay Everything I Say.I Got A Call From Her After She Took A Ride From A Boy Who Was High...

View more questions Search