Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Idaho_Biker Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2008, 03:54 AM
    Burned Out Duplex Box
    Have a In-Wall OLD-STYLE Duplex Box(Nailed to Stud) where a Renter Literally Burned out the Plug-In, and Melted some of the Insulation from the Wires (14/2)... Would Like to find out HOW-TO Fix the Wiring ONLY (as I plan on Covering that Box, No Plug-in)... The Old Cable Clamp in the Back of the Box: I removed in Hopes of Pulling some Wire, and Applying some Heat-Shrink to replace the Melted Insulation, However, I guess Back in the 50's they Must have Stapled the Cable to the Studs, because I can NOT get any wire to Pull through... Any Ideas? More Info: it's a 4-Wire Box w/ No Ground=2 Hot(White) & 2-Neutral (Black), which means it supplies Power further down the Circuit, so I can't take it out of the "Loop"... so I Must "Bond" the Blacks together as well as the Whites, Nice, Huh?
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 07:56 AM
    You can't cover the box, but you could put a coverplate on it but you can't because of the problem.

I can offer two suggestions:

1. Get a Low Voltage ring and mount a duplex coverplate on it. This will give you room to work. Notmuch. But some.
    2. Cut and make a drywall patch

There is only one device that I know of that can be concealed within the walls to join wires. If interested, I'll dig up the link again. I havta turn this one into an FAQ.
    hkstroud Posts: 11,929, Reputation: 899
    Home Improvement & Construction Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 10:06 AM
    I don't think shrink tubing is going to do it as an insulator. All connections must be made in a box. The box cannot be covered up or buried in the wall. If both cables go up the stud, cut a hole and install an "old work" box 6" up the stud and install receptacle or cover plate. Patch the wall where existing box is. Be aware that the cables may go up or down the stud a few inches and then be fished through the studs. What you are trying to do is pick a location that will give you enough cable to cut off the damaged wires and reconnect. If cables go in opposite directions you will have to install a box above, below or on the next stud in addition to the existing box and add enough cable to remake the connection.
    KISS Posts: 12,510, Reputation: 839
    Uber Member

Jul 15, 2008, 11:00 AM
    Harold:

The device mentioned here CAN BE CONCEALED WITHIN A WALL.

https://www.askmehelpdesk.com/electr...ml#post1149107

Jul 15, 2008, 05:52 PM
    ALL the Wiring in this Old House comes up through the Bottom Plates (Underneath the House), as Far as I can tell nothing goes UP.. there's another Duplex upstream from this one on the other side of the Wall... Not sure Where the Wire goes out of the Box I'm working on, since there's a Doorway about 4' away... trying to avoid Crawling around in the Crawl space UNDER the House to trace it... But, I managed to get one Pair of Cable to move about 2" into the Box and It's the one with the Burned Insulation, the other Set seems OK with no Burnt Insulation except on the Ends, I can Cut that Off and Re-Strip.
    So, IF I can just figure Out HOW to Fix this One Set, I'll be in business the ONLY Bad Burnt area is where the Wires touched the Box at, but Have a Little Extra Cable to "Play" with??

Jul 15, 2008, 06:00 PM
    If you can get the cable into the box far enough to cut off the damaged insulation, strip back about 3/4" of insulation, you can add additional length of wire using a wire nut. We are talking about the wire insulation, not the cable sheathing.

Jul 15, 2008, 06:04 PM
    I don't believe I have that Kind of Room in the Box to do That with? This is One of Those 1950's Duplex Boxes (more Shallow that the New-Style)that Used the Narrow Back Duplex Plug-Ins, so since I'm using a New-Style Plug-In which has a Thicker Base, I'm afraid there may not be enough room for Wire Nuts..?

Jul 15, 2008, 06:20 PM
    Well, remove the box. Cut nails between box and stud with sawsall. Install an "old work" box. Probably should just remove the box, go up under the house pull the damaged cable out, install a junction box and add a length of cable. Stick new cable up through the hole in sill plate. Use wire coat hanger to find cable and pull out through hole in wall where box was. Stick cables in "old work" box. Put box in hole in wall.

Jul 15, 2008, 11:03 PM
    Well with the help of a friend, we applied 3 Layers of Heat Shrink, then Wrapped the wires with Elec. Tape, then encased each wire with sheathing, and finally took the outer sheathing from some 10/3 Romex and wrapped that set... hooked everything up, and it works fine... checked everything out, and found no wires causing ANY problems, should work?

Jul 16, 2008, 04:50 PM
    THANKS for all The Info on "How Too's", I really appreciate it... at Least it got me to Thinking! But I did Print out your Responses for My "Fix-it" Files for Future Reference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Plumbing a laundry in a duplex [ 3 Answers ]

I'm looking for help in plumbing a laundry in a duplex. I need to add two washers and a laundry tub. There is an existing 1 1/2" vented drain about 24" away that was connected to an old concrete laundry tub - I plan to use that for the new laundry tub. For the washing machines, I know I need to...

Full Duplex Device [ 2 Answers ]

Any Full Duplex Device or Full Duplex Calling Software.

Full Duplex Device [ 1 Answers ]

Any Full Duplex Device or Full Duplex Calling Software.

View more questions Search