Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kayla8918 Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Jul 14, 2008, 02:25 PM
    My boyfriend lied to me about cancer!
    So my boyfriend and I have been dating for two years. Hes lied to me in the past about things we worked through. Every time he lied I would ask him if there was something else he needed to tell me. He would respond with a no. Last night I was hanging out with his sister. Were very close and talk about everything. So I started talking to her about the fact that he told me right when we first started dating that he had cancer as a child. She told me it was a huge lie and it wasn't true. I haven't eaten or slept since that moment last night. I called him and he confessed. What should I do?
    plonak Posts: 742, Reputation: 117

Jul 14, 2008, 02:54 PM
    He needs to get help for his pathelogical lying.. he has some major problems..

I personally think it's like an addiction.. they tell a lie about something to shock people and that gives them a little high.. people are giving him attention that he craves.. maybe he was neglected as a child.. but he seriously needs to get help it's a serious problem.
    ylaira Posts: 1,193, Reputation: 118
    Ultra Member

Jul 14, 2008, 03:50 PM
    Plonak is right! Liars loves the attention when they said something shocking so they can "impress" with no obvious motivation. I don't know,Pathological Liars as I have observed, usually a lie on something that u will feel sorry about them and for the most part they believe its true.

I once watched one episode of Oprah, the guest has this condition. She lied to her husband that their child has a cancer, she called her friends that she's killing herself and when her friends got on their place, she's just sleeping!

He needs help... convince him to visit a counselor since he hurt you bad by making youbelieve on a lie.
    Romefalls19 Posts: 4,739, Reputation: 1130
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 05:43 AM
    He needs to seek counseling for being a compulsive liar and then up to you to decide if you wish to be with him or not
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jul 15, 2008, 05:46 AM
    Yes he needs to seek counseling, but that's HIS issue not yours. Your question is about what YOU should do. My answer is to end the relationship, now! You will never have any trust for this person and a solid relationship can only be built on trust.
    starlite1 Posts: 753, Reputation: 58

Jul 15, 2008, 06:16 AM
    Lying is never a good thing. He really needs to seek professional help to deal with this. If it continues, this will definatley hinder your relationship. I don't think he does it to hurt you or anyone, but of course it isn't right at all, and everyone will be hurt by it, intentional, or not. He has a problem, and needs to get to the root of it. How would you know if he is telling the truth or not, with anything?
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 15, 2008, 07:12 AM
    You have been putting up with this behavior for 2 years? How? Why??

Just don't see how you can stay, when you will never get the truth about anything.
    ISneezeFunny Posts: 4,175, Reputation: 821
    Ultra Member

Jul 15, 2008, 07:19 AM
    ... you sure he's not lying to you about actually being a man?

... lying about things like, "Oh, I used to be rich," is one thing... or "My watch is a real rolex," is another thing...

... but... cancer?. that's crossing the line.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Lied to my boyfriend about being raped.wasn't raped at all.what do I do? [ 45 Answers ]

Well, I told my boyfriend a little back ago that I was raped by my mother's boyfriend, but I was never raped in the first place... the guy never even touched me. I felt like he was ruining my life (since it was the first guy my mom started seeing after my mom and dad divorced). So, I wanted him...

My boyfriend lied for 2 years [ 6 Answers ]

I just found out that my boyfriend of 2 years has had a little side girl since the second month of him and I dating. When I found out I asked every question I could think of. When I got to the question of why he continued the relationship with the other girl, his answer was because she is a lot...

Help boyfriend has cancer [ 2 Answers ]

My boyfriend had surgery 3 months ago cause he had a tumor and it was found non cancerous but the doctors said to keep an eye on it if it comes back cause it could very well change.. well nows it back and they think that it is cancerous and it is in the lympth nodes by his tail bone what do you...

I lied [ 5 Answers ]

Hey, My nae is Raph and I have a big issue in front of me. Well its not that big but I need help. I have been dating a girl for a month. I lied to her about an occasion ( I told her I was somewhere but I really wasnt) anyhow she found out that I lied and gave me the famouse line " we...

View more questions Search