Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Tiger mike 101 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 19, 2014, 09:17 PM
    US citizen married foreign citizen in the US claiming her as spouse in Tax return
    I'm male US citizen married my wife (Non US citizen) in Las Vegas on Nov 2013. She came here on tourist visa in Nov and she has gone back to Thailand in Dec 2013. We have not process any paper work to apply to her social security number yet. Can I claim her as my spouse filing joint return?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 19, 2014, 09:24 PM
    Your best course of action is to get back in country, then (and onlty then) apply for a SSN. It takes about two weeks TOPS to get an SSN, at which time you can file a joint return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

US citizen wishing to get married in the UK to a British citizen then return to US [ 0 Answers ]

I am a US citizen, my fiancˇ is a British citizen. I want to go to the UK to marry him, but we want to live in the US after we marry. What will I need to do to be able to marry him in the UK, i.e.. what documentation will I need to provide, and what will we then need to do to bring him back to...

Canadian citizen married to US citizen living in Canada, tax information [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, My wife and I have lived in Canada since August 2008. She has not filed US tax returns since 2008 and I would like to have them filed prior to our move to the US by late 2011. I am a little lost on which forms to use. Here is how our current income breaks down. Wife (USC) - 2008...

I am a Uk citizen and I have recently married a US citizen here in the UK. My spouse [ 8 Answers ]

I am a Uk citizen and I have recently married a US citizen here in the UK. My spouse has now returned to the US and I am planing on going out there on the VWP once there will I be able to apply to stay and not have to come back to the UK?

ITIN worry for spouse & Amended Tax Return for US citizen? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am a US citizen married to a non US citizen who is not out of status. His passport and student visa is expired and only legal form of identification is his drivers license. Well I filed taxes this year, and because he doesn't have a SS# I filed single. I later found that I needed...

Foreign Spouse and Foreign child of US Citizen married for 1 month [ 4 Answers ]

I am a US Citizen. I married to a foreign woman (who also has a child) in late 2008. They are still overseas waiting for immigration papers to come here in year 2009. She does not have income overseas. Only I have income in USA. I do not have SSN for either Spouse or my Stepson. I have my own 2...

View more questions Search