Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 09:52 AM
    It's there JOB, that's what they are supposed to do. Empowered by the people they represent, but some want that power deluted so they can legally do as they please with impunity.

The result is a stagnant economy, and more and more poor people, stuck in debt, and joblessness, and a rising child poverty rate.
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2012, 10:25 AM
    Evidently the powers this administration takes in the name of the people is to impose the President's ideas of what he thinks a religion is ;but also his pseudo-Christianity ;on all the people even despite the clear unconstitutionality of his dictates.
    Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 10:50 AM
    What I see is a fair balance between the church, state, and the people that are affected. It's the republicans especially at a state level that's pushing the religious argument, and many of the local, and regional religious organization are fine with his accommodations.

Its just the right thinks we are so dumb not to recognize the end run around settled law that affirms the right of a woman to have a legal abortion. Its obvious and absurd, and the push back has been eye opening. But the right would rather we go back to the days of abortions done in a dark kitchen. They cannot recognize that the best ways to reduce abortions is with contraception, and NOT aspirin.

As crazy a notion as giving more loot to the robber corporations and rich guys to create jobs. That's why they have trillions and the number of poor grows everyday. Republicans have proved to be the party of RAPE, PILLAGE, and PLUNDER. None of which has a darn thing to do with religious freedom, the constitution, or freedom to practise. If the states statues have held up, the federal ones probably will too.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2012, 10:56 AM
    The state deciding what a "fair balance " is between the state's power and the free exercise clause is an unconstitutional role for the state to assume. Who is running the country ? King Henry VIII ?
    Expert

Feb 27, 2012, 11:17 AM
    The states are the ones whoo have the exemptions for religious institutions already, many stricter than what the president has proposed and its already passed constiutional muster, and so will the federal version.

Nothing has changed except the noise on the right, you know, the ones who always feel attacked and persecuted, and outraged by one thing or another. And for the last four years that's all we hear is how this Christian president isn't really a Christian. Now Santorium is railing against the liberal college snobs, while holding 3 freakin degrees himself! Unreal!

I mean it never ends with the right wing gloom, and doom and end of the world rhetoric. They are afraid of themselves I think.
    Ultra Member

Feb 27, 2012, 11:28 AM
    I have not read the details of the constitutions of all 50 states . All I know is what is unconstitutional at the national level. It may well be that the people of some of the states have given the states that power. It is a fact that the people of the United States have not given that authority to the national government .
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Feb 28, 2012, 08:35 AM
    Speaking of churches, Santorum is being criticized for his comments on JFK's remarks on separation of church and state, "where the separation of church and state is absolute--where no Catholic prelate would tell the President (should he be Catholic) how to act, and no Protestant minister would tell his parishioners for whom to vote..."

Apparently it's absolute for thee but not for me to the left these days. Obama has his "congregational captain program" to drum up votes for him.

Congregation Captain Program
    Congregation captains will take the lead on educating others about the importance of participating in this campaign and how to get involved. Working in your individual capacity, you’ll reach out to key community members and mobilize your personal networks with house parties and other outreach activities, as well as provide assistance in conducting voter registration drives.
    I think it would be fun to organize a Caucasians for Santorum or Romney campaign and put our our own "congregation captains" to work. Whaddya think?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 28, 2012, 08:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Obama has his "congregational captain program" to drum up votes for him.

I think it would be fun to organize a Caucasians for Santorum or Romney campaign and put our our own "congregation captains" to work. Whaddya think?
    Yea, that doesn't belong; Obama should delete that page.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2012, 05:55 PM
    Why don't you just hire the KKK, they are probably looking for something to do
    Expert

Feb 29, 2012, 06:52 PM
    Actually, the KKK is busy. They took their hoods off, and are running for public office. They caught one in Arizona, and recalled him. More to come.
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Feb 29, 2012, 09:52 PM
    Shucks foiled again!
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 03:18 AM
    The left never believed in the separation. Politics conducted from the pulpit in the 1960s was instrumental in the Civil Rights movement. Before that ,the abolition movement was originally a religious movement . As you recall there was a lot of discussion in the 2008 about liberation theology which breaches that wall . AND just last month ;the President went to the National Prayer Breakfast and used pseudo-Christian justifications for his domestic policies. There is only a selective 'Wall of Separation' .
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Mar 1, 2012, 04:30 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    The left never believed in the separation. Politics conducted from the pulpit in the 1960s was instrumental in the Civil Rights movement. Before that ,the abolition movement was originally a religious movement . As you recall there was alot of discussion in the 2008 about liberation theology which breaches that wall . AND just last month ;the President went to the National Prayer Breakfast and used pseudo-Christian justifications for his domestic policies. There is only a selective 'Wall of Separation' .

Hi Tom,

Historically you can make exactly the same types of claims about the right.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 05:58 AM
    That is because there is no such thing as a "wall of separation" . It's a term Jefferson used in a letter to a Baptist church that a black robed oligarch took out of context and applied it to a court decision . Now most Americans ,who have not studied the history think there is some line in the Constitution that establishes a separation .
    For the record.. . The State can't establish a church ;and the state can't make laws that interfere with the free exercise of religion . THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS on the churches and there are no restrictions on politicians who wish to profess their faith. The reason the President's mandate is wrong ,and unconstitutional ,is because he forces the churches to act in a manner their faith says is immoral .
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Actually, the KKK is busy. They took their hoods off, and are running for public office. They caught one in Arizona, and recalled him. More to come.
    In fact, the most prominent KKK member I know of served in Congress as a Democrat for 57 years.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    THERE ARE NO RESTRICTIONS on the churches
    Hello tom:

It's really simple. You guys don't LIKE it simple, but it is. I've been saying it for quite some time... Tom, my right wing friend, you're absolutely right. The state cannot restrict a church. But, it can DEFINE a church. It does that when it grants them a tax exemption - or not... I know. I applied for one, and the government told me I WASN'T a church...

That same government has defined a hospital AS a hospital, and NOT a church. I promise you, the hospitals in question are NOT tax exempt like a church is.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 09:11 AM
    Yeah and those same hospitals have been taking care of sick people long before the government complicated it.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Mar 1, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Yeah and those same hospitals have been taking care of sick people long before the government complicated it.
    Hello again, Steve:

Yeahhh... Hospitals do good work. But, they're NOT churches. Therefore, this is NOT 1st Amendment issue. It's a labor law issue.

Look. We cannot do EVERYTHING we'd like under the guise of freedom of religion... I PROMISE you, the government won't let me smoke pot no matter HOW many times I see God when I'm high.

Now, if you want to make the First Amendment ABSOLUTE, then we can talk business.

excon
    Ultra Member

Mar 1, 2012, 10:22 AM
    Big difference between prohibitting activity and mandating activity .
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Mar 1, 2012, 10:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hospitals do good work. But, they're NOT churches. Therefore, this is NOT 1st Amendment issue. It's a labor law issue.
    So if the hospitals connected to a church body invited me to come in, treated me, then asked only for a donation which I could give or not, would that make them churches?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should churches apply for 501c3? [ 2 Answers ]

LBJ's Conspiracy To Silence the Churches of America Most churches in America have organized as "incorporated 501c3 tax-exempt religious organizations." This is a fairly recent trend that has only been going on for about fifty years. Churches were only added to section 501c3 of the tax code in...

Protestant Churches [ 3 Answers ]

Hey guys I need help on my history homework. Can Someone give me 5 facts about a 16th century protestant church?? My Homework is due tomorrow so I need an answer fairly quickly. Miley x x x

View more questions Search