Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jul 29, 2011, 11:05 AM

Odd that Obamas concept of compromise "give me exactly what I want or else" is completely ignored by the drive by media. That's not compromise.. thats parading around like a pompous azz.

When was his coronation as King? The never taught the "smartest man to ever reside in the Whitehouse " the concept of co-equal branches of government? Apparently not.
    talaniman Posts: 54,325, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jul 29, 2011, 10:24 PM

Show me how to balance a budget with 50 million poor people and their kids running around??
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 04:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by talaniman View Post
    Show me how to balance a budget with 50 million poor people and their kids running around???
    We don't really have 'poor people', poor is all those living on less than a dollar a day. We need to wean a bunch of our 'poor people' off the government teat and save our money for those who really need it. Our 'poor people' drive nicer cars than I do.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2011, 05:26 AM

Hello again, Steve:

Well, I suppose if it was MY view that there AREN'T any poor people, and EVERYBODY gets all the health care they need, then I, like you, would want the rich people to get more.

But, I DON'T share your view of this country.. Why?? Because it AIN'T a CORRECT view.

excon
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 06:46 AM
    Show me how to balance a budget with 50 million poor people and their kids running around???
    Tal it's not hard you take it off the military and make the fat cats pay. So long as tax isn't 100% they will still earn money. A balanced budget becomes possible when you get people to work so that you turn that outflow from social security around and some may even pay some tax. You see; those 50 million poor aren't socking away their money they are supporting the economy by spending. There is another way too you make a set of standard deductions and do away with the wastefull cheat sheet tax returns

Fact is Tal you don't need any more aircraft carriers and the planes you have will last fifty years. They are still using warthogs aren't there that's a Vietnam war plane. If you keep your army within your own borders then you don't need so many. Let MAD do its job. The Russians, that other superpower, get by with a derelect fleet and half an army
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    Hello again, Steve:

Well, I suppose if it was MY view that there AREN'T any poor people, and EVERYBODY gets all the health care they need, then I, like you, would want the rich people to get more.

But, I DON'T share your view of this country.. Why?? Because it AIN'T a CORRECT view.

Excon
    Um, again with the speaking for me? Enough of that BS, speak for yourself. I keep waiting for all those billionaires that want to be taxed more, and the president himself who says he has more than he needs, to walk their extra cash down to the treasury. You know why they won't? They ARE the rich people that are screwing this country over and they're nothing but fat cat hypocrites...

Obama's Exclusive George Soros Waivers
    By Michelle Malkin
    7/29/2011

"Millionaires and billionaires," President Obama says derisively, must make more "sacrifices" and live by the same rules the rest of America lives by. But there are seven little words that will never appear on the White House teleprompter: "And that means you, too, George Soros."

For all his (and his wife's) bashing of greedy Wall Street hedge-fund managers, Obama has shown nothing but love to the world's most famous hedge-fund mogul. The feeling is mutual and deep(-pocketed).

Soros and his family shelled out $250,000 for Obama's inauguration, $60,000 in direct campaign contributions and untold millions more to liberal activist groups pushing the White House agenda. While the class warrior-in-chief assails conniving financiers who exploit loopholes and corporate titans who imperil the planet, he lets the Soros exemptions to his attack-the-rich rules slide like butter on a hot plate.

This week, for example, Soros announced he was "quitting" the hedge-fund industry.
    The headlines emphasized his decision to return about $750 million to outside investors (a drop in his $30 billion bucket of personal wealth). He's reconstituting the business that landed him on Forbes magazine's "wealthiest people" list as a "family" interest. But the move has "self-serving politics" written all over it.

Over the past year, Soros provided coveted support for Obama and the Democrats' Byzantine financial "reforms" under the sweeping Dodd-Frank law. He preached to financial publications around the world about the need for increased regulatory controls over his industry. And in November 2008, while paying obligatory lip service to concerns about going too far, he submitted a statement to the House Committee on Oversight and Government Reform that recommended: "The entire regulatory framework needs to be reconsidered, and hedge funds need to be regulated within that framework."

Frameworks for thee, but not for he, however.

Under Title IV of Dodd-Frank, hedge funds were required to abide by new registration and reporting requirements in an attempt to better police systemic risk (not that the feckless Securities and Exchange Commission has ever been able to fulfill that mission). To evade the regulations, Soros and other firms have used a recently passed rule allowing so-called family offices to shield themselves from both registration and disclosure rules that would have subjected Soros Inc. to a new "Financial Stability Oversight Council."

Somehow, in touting its one-year anniversary last week, there was nary a peep about the myriad loopholes and de facto waivers being granted to Obama's powerful benefactors whose names start with "S" and end in "-oros."

GOP Sen. Richard Shelby of Alabama called Soros' hypocrisy out, telling Reuters this week: "It appears that Mr. Soros talked up financial reform only to sell it short. Don't be surprised to see his fellow Wall Street financiers follow suit."

This comes on top of the Obama administration's $2 billion offering in 2009 to Brazilian state-owned offshore oil-drilling company Petrobras -- in which Soros and his management company own an $811 million stake.

Offshore drilling for they, but not for the rest of the USA. Membership in the self-exempting progressive billionaires' club has its privileges.
    OK ex, sure sounds like Obama and his buddy share that "incorrect view" of wanting the rich people to get more. What are you going to do about it?

And NK, I don't care that you don't approve of the source, it's the facts that matter.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    save our money for those who really need it.
    Who are they?
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2011, 08:20 AM
    And NK, I don't care that you don't approve of the source, it's the facts that matter.
    Hello again, Steve:

Does your butt pucker up when you read something from Paul Krugman?? Now you know how NK and I feel reading something from Michell Malkin.

excon
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 09:24 AM
    We don't really have 'poor people', poor is all those living on less than a dollar a day. We need to wean a bunch of our 'poor people' off the government teat and save our money for those who really need it. Our 'poor people' drive nicer cars than I do.
    Lets see, at the minimum wage times 40 hrs/week, that's $14,400 dollars a year, add a few kids, try living off that anywhere in America, and let me know how that works for you, and your family. Tell me about where, and how you live, and the kind of car you drive, and the health insurance you have. Oh, and lets not forget, most people making that minimum wage don't even get 40 hours a week, because the boss has 'em on part time.

You have to have something to wean them off that government teat, and pray tell what is that? Ever wean a baby off a mama's teat, WITHOUT a bottle of milk? That's where you get those images late at night about starving children around the world.

If only the poor would be a bit more ambitious, right?? Are you kidding me??
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Tal it's not hard you take it off the military and make the fat cats pay. So long as tax isn't 100% they will still earn money. A balanced budget becomes possible when you get people to work so that you turn that outflow from social security around and some may even pay some tax. You see; those 50 million poor aren't socking away their money they are supporting the economy by spending. There is another way too you make a set of standard deductions and do away with the wasteful cheat sheet tax returns

Fact is Tal you don't need any more aircraft carriers and the planes you have will last fifty years. They are still using warthops aren't there that's a Vietnam war plane. If you keep your army within your own borders then you don't need so many. Let MAD do its job. The Russians, that other superpower, get by with a derelict fleet and half an army
    Do you see how hard it is to get taxes raised on the rich here? The so called job creators, that have taken the loot to other countries for the cheap labor? And poor people aren't supporting the economy, the are surviving, not thriving! But you are right, nobody has a military like ours in the world. NOBODY, so why are their economy's in such a funk?

LOL, and since we have so many that don't understand that now raising the debt ceiling is a calamity, don't expect some NATIONS understanding Mutually Assured Destruction. Pakistan, India, and Iran come to mind.

But you have a great point about the military, except any place we can make a dollar is subject to invasion in our own interest. Specially if they got oil. We drink it by the gallon here you know. Even the poor people here, according o Steve.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 09:41 AM
    Hello again, Steve:

Does your butt pucker up when you read something from Paul Krugman??? Now you know how NK and I feel reading something from Michell Malkin.

excon
    She makes my liver quiver, until she starts talking, and then I get sick. As bad as listening to the Bachman-Palin Overdrive... yargh!
    Synnen Posts: 7,927, Reputation: 2443
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 11:10 AM

I'd like to see Obama take all of his campaign donations and put them toward the national debt.

I'd vote for his re-election for that act alone.

Same with any OTHER government official.

If they took their MILLIONS in campaign donations and gave them to the COUNTRY---that would make me HAPPY.

But they won't. Nor will they "raise revenue" at all because EVERYONE is sick to death of being taxed to support fat-cat politicians.

I'm sick to death of ALL of it, but I know it will NEVER change as long as CORPORATIONS are the ones running the country through our puppet politicians.
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 11:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Synnen View Post
    I'd like to see Obama take all of his campaign donations and put them toward the national debt.

I'd vote for his re-election for that act alone.

Same with any OTHER government official.

If they took their MILLIONS in campaign donations and gave them to the COUNTRY---that would make me HAPPY.

But they won't. Nor will they "raise revenue" at all because EVERYONE is sick to death of being taxed to support fat-cat politicians.

I'm sick to death of ALL of it, but I know it will NEVER change as long as CORPORATIONS are the ones running the country through our puppet politicians.
    Two greenies

But "We the people" elected those politicians, so we sort of got what we paid for, or what they(corporations, and rich guys) paid for.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 04:00 PM
    Do you see how hard it is to get taxes raised on the rich here?
    I have observed and basically I think it is because only about 50% of your people actually pay tax In my nation adjustments to income tax are part of the budget process and they happen because most people pay tax. Mind you we haven't needed to raise tax in a while because we have control of other factors in the economy

The so called job creators, that have taken the loot to other countries for the cheap labor?
    Hey it's happened here too but we have gotten past it and instead of sitting on our duffs lamenting it we have dealt with it and unemployment is only structural. In fact we need skilled people
    And poor people aren't supporting the economy, the are surviving, not thriving!
    Poor people are always supporting the economy, they have to eat and thy have to live somewhere. It's a small but important contribution.
    But you are right, nobody has a military like ours in the world. NOBODY, so why are their economy's in such a funk?
    People in other places bought into the same dream you did, affordable housing, and just like your dream, it evaporated and in some places welfare, etc is just too generous and some don't pay. For example in Greece tax evasion is a national pastime, and there are some places too unstable for industries to set up there

LOL, and since we have so many that don't understand that now raising the debt ceiling is a calamity, don't expect some NATIONS understanding Mutually Assured Destruction. Pakistan, India, and Iran come to mind.
    Tal raising the ceiling isn't a calamity, that your nation should tear itsself apart over a simple mechanism is the calamity, that your politicians don't understand simple economics is calamity

A little MAD applied to India, Pakistan and Iran would do them good, clear the decks so to speak but Iran has the message. You have more oil in your own territory than you know what to do with why would you invade to get more?
    Uber Member

Jul 30, 2011, 04:20 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    I have observed and basicly I think it is because only about 50% of your people actually pay tax
    Hello again, clete:

You didn't "observe" anything.. You just got the right wing email. Of course, it's basically a LIE.

Oh, it IS true, that about HALF of us don't pay federal INCOME taxes - but, there's PLENTY of federal taxes they DO pay. For instance, they PAY federal UNEMPLOYMENT taxes. They pay federal PAYROLL taxes.. They pay federal SOCIAL SECURITY taxes. They pay federal GASOLINE taxes. They pay federal TELEPHONE taxes. They pay federal INTERNET taxes. And, THOSE federal taxes are just the ones a dumb old exconvict like me knows about. Surely there's dozens more... Do you want me to mention STATE taxes?? They pay PLENTY of those...

The truth is that more than 50% of our federal budget is paid for by taxes that our working poor DO pay. Now, you may want them to pay more... Our right wingers do.

Now, if you want to talk about the scum who SUCK off society, I'll have that conversation with you.. But, our working poor ain't them.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 04:34 PM
    The truth is that more than 50% of our federal budget is paid for by taxes that our poor DO pay. Now, you may want them to pay more... Our right wingers do.

If you wanna talk about the scum who SUCK off society, I'll have that conversation with you.. But, our working poor ain't them.

excon
    Yes ex there are plenty of taxes but who are these scum suckers, are they the welfare cheats who burden the system while crying poor? The way I hear it ex the idea was to raise tax on people with incomes over $250000, hardly working poor. More than 50% of your federal budget isn't paid by tax Ex it's paid by money you borrowed and continue to borrow so future citizens will pay, now that's scum suckin because the only way it can work is with massive inflation.

What has happened these days is that the tools used to manage the economy, taxation, interest rates and debt have been taken away until in the case of the US only one remains DEBT, It used to be that government could raise or lower tax, raise or lower interest rates, borrow or contract debt, but they can't anymore so the economy goes nowhere because the signals are stuck to keep those scum sucking fat cats rich
    Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 04:42 PM

The debt limit is but a smoke screen as its about political posturing. We all know that and its frustrating, but that's the way we fight over here. Better than some places, and it's the price of our democracy.

I have observed and basically I think it is because only about 50% of your people actually pay tax In my nation adjustments to income tax are part of the budget process and they happen because most people pay tax. Mind you we haven't needed to raise tax in a while because we have control of other factors in the economy
    That's misinformed crap, as everyone that works pays a payroll tax, and have to wait for April 15th, the following year to claim a refund. Unlike the rich guys who pay no payroll tax, just file in April. See the difference? It's a big one because working people have no access, and get no interest from that money until they file and get a refund. What you think that cash just sits and doesn't make interest for the government??

people in other places bought into the same dream you did, affordable housing, and just like your dream, it evaporated and in some places welfare, etc is just too generous and some don't pay. For example in Greece tax evasion is a national pastime, and there are some places too unstable for industries to set up there
    Well we ain't Greeks, and all due respect, we had some slick swindlers and maybe affordable housing is a bit rocky, its still doable, and lets me clear we are a rather large nation, bigger than the Australia you put up as perfect, I mean you have 20 million folks and a trillion dollar budget. I understand your national pride, but we are all a works in progress moving to solve problems. You still have your national challenges too, as do all nations, so lets not act like Australia leads the world in living. That's very condescending. Sorry we don't meet your standards of civilized, but I really don't think we're trying to.

Get some popcorn, and enjoy the show, we will eventually get 'er done. We may not be as pretty as you Aussies, or the Greeks for that matter, but we are pretty capable.
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 05:07 PM

Well we ain't Greeks, and all due respect, we had some slick swindlers and maybe affordable housing is a bit rocky, its still doable, and lets me clear we are a rather large nation, bigger than the Australia you put up as perfect, I mean you have 20 million folks and a trillion dollar budget. I understand your national pride, but we are all a works in progress moving to solve problems. You still have your national challenges too, as do all nations, so lets not act like Australia leads the world in living. Thats very condescending. Sorry we don't meet your standards of civilized, but I really don't think we're trying to.

Herein lies the rub Tal when we speak about tax we are talking about the final outcome i.e. money you ultimately don't have. We all have stupid tax systems that take with one hand and give with another we are steadly reforming ours with plans for less and less people to lodge tax returns. You know that there is a reason companies test products in a small market and it is that it is easier to sort out the problems. What you call national pride is a recognition that we might have solved some of these problems you are finding to be a hump. It wasn't without pain. When we took on removing the protection of our industries there was great pain but our economy is booming today. I think you might be at that stage of development. Actually in living standards Australia is up there currently rated number 2 on the Human Development Index. Another small nation Norway is number 1. What that means is we might have got a good deal right despite having some extremely disadvantaged people in our midst. Your national pride prevents you from taking a solution from a "smaller" nation. We don't expect you to achieve our standards of civilisation because you seem to be going in the opposite direction and because you started with an entirely different ethos. You see Tal the twentieth century was your century and maybe this is ours, maybe not
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 30, 2011, 06:25 PM
    Thats misinformed crap, as everyone that works pays a payroll tax, and have to wait for April 15th, the following year to claim a refund. Unlike the rich guys who pay no payroll tax, just file in April. See the difference? Its a big one because working people have no access, and get no interest from that money until they file and get a refund. What you think that cash just sits and doesn't make interest for the government???
    Not sure where your getting your information from but many that are self employed or have taxable income must pay an estimated tax quarterly. Also there is a self employment tax.

Estimated Taxes

Tax Topics - Topic 554 Self-Employment Tax
    Ultra Member

Jul 30, 2011, 06:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    Not sure where your getting your information from but many that are self employed or have taxable income must pay an estimated tax quarterly. Also there is a self employment tax.

Estimated Taxes

Tax Topics - Topic 554 Self-Employment Tax
    Looks like a catch all there

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Prepare a Budgeted Income Statement, Cash Budget, Sales Budget/Cash Collections, Purc [ 1 Answers ]

The CEO of Kingston Cart Inc. asked the Chief Financial Officer to prepare a Master Budget for the next three months, beginning July 1, 2010. The company's policy is to maintain a minimum cash balance of $6,000 at each month end. Sales are forecasted at an average selling price of $70 per cart....

Way Un-balanced [ 11 Answers ]

Just... ugh. Every once in a while life just sucks. Everythings going fine and then I make a stupid mistake! I can never find the right balance. I either explode in anger or in tears. As hard as I try to let things go, I can't sometimes. I've been trying so hard to make my life the way everyone...

Is this Balanced? [ 1 Answers ]

Mg3N2 + H2O ====>Mg(OH)2 + NH3? If not, how do I?

View more questions Search