Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:31 AM

But beyond some minor issues Laura Bush didn't inject her influence into public policy. It is legit to question FLOTUS because she is the lead spokesperson in the public policy.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    It is legit to question FLOTUS because she is the lead spokesperson in the public policy.
    Hello again, tom:

That's fine. Question her policy, but don't jump down her throat because she likes a fry now and then... You guys have penchant to diss people who have lofty positions, but (like ALL of us) struggle to achieve them... I suppose, in your Republican right wing world, you have either PERFECT people or DISGRACED people... Democrats, on the other hand, have just regular people.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 07:53 AM

I agree with those who mock the family value people who don't live up to their rhetoric for being hypocrites . Why shouldn't I equally do that with environmental advocates who's carbon footprints are massive compared to the people they would presume to limit . Why should I not hold FLOTUS to a standard she wants the rest of the country to live by.
    Let them eat peas.....I'll eat chessy fries.
    speechlesstx Posts: 1,111, Reputation: 284
    Ultra Member

Jul 12, 2011, 08:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon View Post
    You guys have penchant to diss people who have lofty positions, but (like ALL of us) struggle to achieve them...
    Ex, if you only knew how comical that sounds to me. My entire life is based on the premise that I'm imperfect. But, even imperfect beings have the right - the duty - to hold those accountable who fail to live up to the standards they're espousing for others.

Democrats, on the other hand, have just regular people.
    Nah, Democrats just have much lower standards, if any.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Jul 12, 2011, 08:28 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by speechlesstx View Post
    Nah, Democrats just have much lower standards, if any.
    How do you figure that?
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 07:53 AM

Hello again,

Can you believe that nanny state?? They want to force you to ONLY buy cribs that are safe.

Who the hell do they think they are??

excon
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 08:01 AM
    Hello again,

Can you believe that nanny state??? They wanna force you to ONLY buy cribs that are safe.

Who the hell do they think they are???

excon
    Damn it, the free market can decide! Once a few thousand babies die then the manufacturer may change their product - THIS IS HOW AMERICA WORKS!
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2011, 09:29 AM

This from the guy that wants all drugs ,regardless of safety ,unregulated .

And of course it doesn't matter that consumers for years preferred the drop side cribs . Stupid consumers can't choose for themselves.

Generally new safety standards apply to new manufactured products .But not in this case .
    The retailers that stocked the cribs that are now outlawed are screwed . They get to eat their bad investment . An estimated 100,000 cribs are about to be tossed .The CPSC could've given retailers time to move them ;but no ,instead, by the Commission's own estimates ,the retailers are likely to lose $32 million.
    And here I thought ex post facto laws were unconstitutional (Article 1, Sec.9).

Families with the old cribs will not be allowed to resell them used ;and ,the new ones will probably cost prohibitive to some poor families . No doubt some enterprising Dem will introduce a bill so the taxpayers can pay for the families that can't pay for them .

Day care providers ? Well they are the exception. They get to keep their cribs for another 2 years before they are compelled to replace them. It will only cost the day care industry $500 million .
    But the interesting thing about the extension is ;if the cribs were so unsafe ,then why will they be permitted to use them for another 2 years ? HMMMMMM
    And those old unsafe cribs ? Well ,they aren't the subject of a recall . So tell me again how unsafe they are .
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 09:39 AM
    Hello again,

Can you believe that nanny state??? They wanna force you to ONLY buy cribs that are safe.

Who the hell do they think they are???

excon
    What bothers me most about the article sited is the language that is used in it.
    (quote from page 2)

“Cribs are the one place that are designed so you can leave your baby unattended,” (end quote)

You should never leave a baby unattended at any time. If the baby is asleep and your busy then you are within earshot. If its night time then your still within ear shot. Babies should never be without supervision. If the baby is fussing then its good parenting practice to check on them. Some may read that article and assume they can leave the house and the baby will be fine. They really need to watch what they say.

When raising my children the controversy was about the distance between the slats. I couldn't afford new at the time so I had to buy used. Yes I did check for recommended distance. Parent education and general safety is always a good idea but you can't cover ever possible thing that is going to happen at any given time.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 09:42 AM
    But the interesting thing about the extention is ;if the cribs were so unsafe ,then why will they be permitted to use them for another 2 years ? HMMMMMM
    And those old unsafe cribs ? Well ,they aren't the subject of a recall . So tell me again how unsafe they are .

Here you go.

Ref:

Drop-side crib problems kill at least 32 children - Health - Kids and parenting - msnbc.com

WASHINGTON — At least 32 young children have strangled or suffocated in the past nine years due to defects and other problems of drop-side cribs, the government says in another warning about these types of cribs.
    Ultra Member

Jul 16, 2011, 10:11 AM

I don't want to dismiss those accidents. But at least double that amt of babies die every year in adult beds. It's amazing any children's products are made . I guess short or handicapped parents are SOL .
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 01:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by califdadof3 View Post
    What bothers me most about the article sited is the language that is used in it.
    (quote from page 2)

“Cribs are the one place that are designed so you can leave your baby unattended,” (end quote)

...Some may read that article and assume they can leave the house and the baby will be fine. They really need to watch what they say.
    If anyone reads that to mean they could leave the house with the baby in the crib then I would be very surprised. The sentence is obviously about the crib being a place to put a child for a nap or bedtime while the parent can safely attend to other duties in the house.
    Internet Research Expert

Jul 16, 2011, 01:59 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    If anyone reads that to mean they could leave the house with the baby in the crib then I would be very surprised. The sentence is obviously about the crib being a place to put a child for a nap or bedtime while the parent can safely attend to other duties in the house.
    I invte you to read some posts in family law when you get a chance. The ones that speak of neglect. You would be surprised at what some people think could be "normal".
    Uber Member

Jul 16, 2011, 02:31 PM
    That's sad.
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 02:24 PM
    The EU seems to be trying to ban childhood fun.

Children to be banned from blowing up balloons, under EU safety rules

Children are to be banned from taking part in traditional Christmas games, from blowing up balloons to blowing on party whistles, because of new EU safety rules that have just entered into force.

By Bruno Waterfield, Brussels

11:47PM BST 09 Oct 2011

The EU toy safety directive, agreed and implemented by Government, states that balloons must not be blown up by unsupervised children under the age of eight, in case they accidentally swallow them and choke.

Despite having been popular favourites for generations of children, party games including whistles and magnetic fishing games are to be banned because their small parts or chemicals used in making them are decreed to be too risky.

Apparently harmless toys that children have enjoyed for decades are now regarded by EU regulators as posing an unacceptable safety risk.

Whistle blowers, that scroll out into a long coloured paper tongue when sounded – a party favourite at family Christmas meals – are now classed as unsafe for all children under 14.

The new rules are designed to protect children from the chance that a piece of the whistle could be swallowed and cause choking.

The EU directive will also force manufacturers and retailers to attach safety warnings to toys hitherto regarded as harmless.

Official guidance notes: "For latex balloons there must be a warning that children under eight years must be supervised and broken balloons should be discarded." Frank Furedi, professor of sociology at the University of Kent, warned that toy safety bans were part of a trend to micro-manage children's lives at the expense of allowing them to explore, learn and have fun through play.

"Toys and activities, such as blowing up balloons, are part and parcel of the type of children's play that helps them become independent and self-reliant," he said.

"These bans diminish the experience, both of having fun and learning, by turning play into a danger zone with rules that stifle life and adventure for children." Under the EU legislation, Britain will have to ensure that toys are not sold in shops unless they fully comply with the new safety requirements.

As well as new rules for balloons and party whistles, the EU legislation will impose restrictions on how noisy toys, including rattles or musical instruments, are allowed to be.

All teddie bears meant for children under the age of three will now have to be fully washable because EU regulators are concerned that dirty cuddly toys could spread disease and infection.

Paul Nuttall, a member of the European Parliament's consumer safety committee, said the "kill joy" world of EU officialdom was being ill-equipped to understand the concept of children having fun.

"I would say that this is crackers but I sure children are banned from using them too. EU party poopers should not be telling families how to blow up balloons," said the Ukip MEP.

British toy manufacturers are concerned that the new rules, which include defining colouring books and anything played with by under-14s, could drive up the price of Christmas presents because of the cost of safety tests.

But the European Commission has insisted that the new safety legislation was needed to prevent "horror stories".

"These safety standards have been agreed by the UK together with the other EU member states in order to prevent every parent's worst nightmare," said a spokesman.

Another EU official admitted that the new regulations could be difficult to understand but insisted that safety experts knew best.

"You might say that small children have been blowing up balloons for generations, but not anymore and they will be safer for it," said an official.
    I wonder how they feel about piñatas?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Oct 10, 2011, 03:15 PM

I wonder how they feel about pinatas?

Or amusing (or abusing) themselves...
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 10, 2011, 03:37 PM

I wonder how they feel about pinatas?

Hi Speech,

The reason governments implement these so called, "nanny state bans" is because most people are very good at knowing their rights, but no so good when it comes to knowing their responsibilities.

Some people might believe it is their right to grow vegetables in the front yard of their home and no local authority is going to tell them what to do on their property.

In this particular case they would be lacking a community responsibility. In other words, it is their responsibility to keep the tone of the neighbourhood consistent.

These type of regulations are not in place because governments think people are too stupid and they want to intrude into our affairs. Even intelligent people can be irresponsible.

The same type of argument can apply to toys, lemonade and cake stands. We have many of the nanny state bans you have cited over time running for years in this country. More responsibility, less bans?

Tut
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 04:48 PM
    Some people might believe it is their right to grow vegetables in the front yard of their home and no local authority is going to tell them what to do on their property.
    They'd be right . Only a moron thinks a well maintained raised bed garden is an eye sore.
    TUT317 Posts: 657, Reputation: 76

Oct 10, 2011, 05:06 PM
    They'd be right . Only a moron thinks a well maintained raised bed garden is an eye sore.

Hi Tom

Doesn't really address the issues I have raised.

When it comes to these types of regulations then unfortunately the principle of bivalence applies. Yes, the law is a donkey and so are local regulations.

Tut
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2011, 05:08 PM
    Tut, I can appreciate what you say and you're always an interesting read, but I suggest that the nanny state is largely the reason for so much irresponsibilty.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Nanny Mcphee [ 7 Answers ]

I just saw the best little film I have seen in a long time. Nanny Mcphee, if you haven't seen it yet it is just excellent! Gather the kids around, make popcorn and sit back and enjoy. Angela Lansbury plays the wicked old aunt and she is a gasser! If you have seen it let me know what you think.:p

Looking for a former Nanny. [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all, I've seen others put up stuff about finding people so I thought I'd give it a wack. Between the years of 1997-1999 I lived in Izmir, Turkey. While I was there I met a woman who has had a huge impact on my life... Deniz. She was our nanny, but she was more like a best friend. She...

Who's your nanny? [ 17 Answers ]

The nanny state has come to this... I'm literally speechless.

My son wants the nanny over me [ 2 Answers ]

I've gone back to work 1 month ago after my extended Maternity leave. My son is 16 months old and seems to be forming a bond with his Nanny. I thought this was great at first, but he seems to want to be with her more then he does with me. When I go to pick him up, he leans towards her. He's not as...

W2 for out-of-state nanny [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I live in DC and employ a nanny who lives in Maryland. Do I need a Maryland employer ID to put on her w2 form? Thanks!

View more questions Search