Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    StacieHasty Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2010, 05:38 PM
    My dogs poop looks like grits or grain is in it, and its loose what could cause this?
    Me and my husand got a new GSD (7 weeks) and we started him out on Iams puppy food, he has had loose stools ever since we got him, he got treated for hookworms and also tapeworms but yet still has the problem. His poop looks like it has grits in it or either grains, it is sometimes formed but also loose.. Im a little worried something else could be wrong.. he is up to date on his shots (the people we got him from I don't think took good care of him while they had him) Please help me figure out what could cause this.. Oh yeah he is now eating purina puppy chow.. its still going on.. Thanks for any advise.. his next check up is in 5 days.. (9week)
    Lucky098 Posts: 2,594, Reputation: 543
    Ultra Member

Aug 22, 2010, 06:47 PM

Yipes! Purina Puppy Chow is much worse then Iams..

The people who you got him from, did they own livestock? The reason I ask, is because my dogs love to eat horse grain and their poo will come out with big grain curnels and/or hulls of seeds.

Is he eating a lot of bones? Sometimes bones will make poo look strange.

A good food I would recommend to get your pup on would be either Chicken Soup for the Dog Lovers Soul: Puppy, Wellness Puppy, Pro Plan puppy, Innova Puppy, **** Van Patten's Natural Balance (all stages), Canidea (all stages), and Taste of the Wild (all stages) is a good food as well.

You might need to let your pup clean out their system. If they were eating garbage while at the "breeders" house, then its all got to come out sometime!

Was his stoole checked? If so, what was the conclusion.. If not, I would definitely get it checked. Only a vet will be able to tell you if there is something to be worried about.

Good Luck
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Aug 22, 2010, 07:06 PM

Has your dog been dewormed? If not, this could be the reason for the grain like substance in the stool, it can also create loose stools.

Purina chow is not the best quality food. And she could be having a hard time digesting the fillers and grains that are used in the chow. Iams isn't the best either, but it is one of the better commercial brads that you can buy.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any ideas why a dogs would poop in their sleep? [ 3 Answers ]

My friend has a 12year old springer spaniel that poops while sleeping. He can even doing it while walking around or just hanging out on the floor. He always seems very surprised that this has happened. The vet did not know why. He muscles are fine. HELP!

Why do dogs poop in the house [ 4 Answers ]

Ppop in house

Dogs poop [ 1 Answers ]

I have a yellow lab a little over a yr. and I notice he had a sore on his leg so then I stated to look around at his poop. I noticed some bloody poop. What would that mean?

Dogs and poop problems [ 2 Answers ]

Why do dogs eat their own poop?

Mucous in dogs poop [ 1 Answers ]

Could someone please help me, my poor Toby as a mucous in his poop. He seems to have try many times before he fully expels. What could this be and how can I fix it? Thanks Toby's mom:)

View more questions Search