Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    arcura Posts: 3,773, Reputation: 191
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 09:16 PM
    Godless marriages
    Today's gospel lesson...
    2. And some Pharisees came up to Him, testing Him, and began to question Him whether it was lawful for a man to divorce a wife.
    3. And He answered and said to them, "What did Moses command you?"
    4. And they said, "Moses permitted a man to write a certificate of divorce and send her away."
    5. But Jesus said to them, "Because of your hardness of heart he wrote you this commandment.
    6. "But from the beginning of creation, God made them male and female.
    7. "For this cause a man shall leave his father and mother,
    8. and the two shall become one flesh; consequently they are no longer two, but one flesh.
    9. "What therefore God has joined together, let no man separate."
    10. And in the house the disciples began questioning Him about this again.
    11. And He said to them, "Whoever divorces his wife and marries another woman commits adultery against her;
    12. And if she herself divorces her husband and marries another man, she is committing adultery."
    <+><+><+>
    How do you think about what Jesus said about marriage applies to marriages performed without God such as by a Justice of The Peace, Judge, or ship's captain?
    Keep in mind that in Jesus' day and land marriages were performed by priests.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    amIwrong Posts: 157, Reputation: 16

Oct 3, 2009, 10:10 PM

I think godless marriage is an excellent idea
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2009, 10:44 PM
    amIwrong,
    To each his own.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Oct 3, 2009, 11:00 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by arcura View Post
    amIwrong,
    To each his own.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    I agree, best to you.
    adam7gur Posts: 372, Reputation: 38

Oct 3, 2009, 11:14 PM

My brother!
    I have never read in the Bible a marriage performed by a priest!
    I see celebrations but I see no ceremony.
    Not even the heavenly marriage is performed, only celebrated!
    I myself was married at the cityhall and I had to do this so that the authourities of the world know that me and my wife are married.And we were married already because God Himself married us earlier.We only went there to announce let's say what God has done!
    So to me the heart of the marriage thing has nothing to do with a priest or any other human authourity except the announcing thing so that you would be OK with human laws also.We know when we are married to someone and we don't have to be told by anyone else except God.
    And to back it up with Scripture I hear Paul saying that we are all priests, so if me and my wife are both priests and married by the High priest,then why looking for one more?
    Godly marriages do not include priests in that sense,since every believer in Jesus Christ is a priest!

Oct 3, 2009, 11:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by adam7gur View Post
    My brother!
    I have never read in the Bible a marriage performed by a priest!
    I see celebrations but I see no ceremony.
    Not even the heavenly marriage is performed, only celebrated!
    I myself was married at the cityhall and I had to do this so that the authourities of the world know that me and my wife are married.And we were married already because God Himself married us earlier.We only went there to announce let's say what God has done!
    So to me the heart of the marriage thing has nothing to do with a priest or any other human authourity except the announcing thing so that you would be ok with human laws also.We know when we are married to someone and we don't have to be told by anyone else except God.
    And to back it up with Scripture I hear Paul saying that we are all priests, so if me and my wife are both priests and married by the High priest,then why looking for one more?
    Godly marriages do not include priests in that sence,since every believer in Jesus Christ is a priest!
    I am not religious, but I agree with you. Marriage should have little or nothing to do with law.

Oct 3, 2009, 11:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by amIwrong View Post
    I am not religious, but I agree with you. Marriage should have little or nothing to do with law.
    Follow Christ and you will be surprised in how many things you will agree with Him!

Oct 3, 2009, 11:52 PM

In fact we are talking here about clergyless marriages and not Godless, 'cause the only accepted marriage should be the Godly one!
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 12:00 AM
    Brother Adam,
    I was going by Jewish history and tradition when I said that priests performed marriages by in Jesus time.
    As you know not everything is written in the bible.
    We do know that marriages were performed and also divorces.
    Also there exist some documents that speak of marriages way back then.
    Apparently they were recorded as was thing like the document that speaks of Abraham's purchase of a bit of special land in which to bury his wife.
    It is amazing how much that archeologist have discovered so far.
    Just the other day they have found Egyptian coins which bear the name of Joseph who was appointed an official by the pharaoh to see after collect enough grain into storage to get the country through several years of drought as was recorded in the bible.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 12:08 AM
    AmIwrong,
    It is very likely that all marriages performed in the lands where Jesus ministered, walked and taught were done by God fearing ministers; that is Jewish preists and perhaps rabbis.
    History and existing documents tell us that they and divorces were recorded.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred
    itsamor Posts: 196, Reputation: 12

Oct 4, 2009, 12:11 AM

Blah blah blah there is no "GOD" and if there is he sure doesn't try to help out those who were in love and went and got married just to fight and get divorced and split familys up. Good job god!
    Ultra Member

Oct 4, 2009, 12:23 AM
    Itsamo,
    So you believe and that is your right.
    By I and others here do believe in God. This is a Christian forum board.
    Peace and kindness,
    Fred

Oct 4, 2009, 12:43 AM

Send him a message for me and tell him to make my life stop sucking :]
    I'll pray just for him.

Oct 4, 2009, 12:46 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by itsamor View Post
    Blah blah blah there is no "GOD" and if there is he sure doesnt try to help out those who were in love and went and got married just to fight and get divorced and split familys up. Good job god!
    Blame God for your mistakes.
    God is not a puppetmaster,He allows you to do as you wish as a sign of His power over your will.He will prove you wrong.It's like Him letting you shoot at Him while He knows that He is bulletsafe!

Oct 4, 2009, 01:19 AM
    Well your saying it was my mistake for being born and getting raped,abused and teased at school and having mental disorders? It's the life I chose? I chose none of the things that have happed to me.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 01:40 AM
    Blah blah blah there is no "GOD" and if there is he sure doesnt try to help out those who were in love and went and got married just to fight and get divorced and split familys up. Good job god!
    Wow, itsamor!

This thread is posted in the Christianity forum topic area. Thus so, it's not a place or a thread whereby it's okay to debate the existence of God or not. That's something better to be left to the Religious Discussions forum topic area.

This site, being as worldwide as it is, does try to cater to what people want to discuss in what are now, many forum topic areas. Some of those discussions happen in what we might call "safe havens" for those who like to discuss certain topics. The Administration has been working hard at making the site one where everyone can feel as though they belong, in some way, here.

There are those of us who hear homilies and sermons on a weekly basis that are based on the common lectionary and also like to follow the common lectionary for study and prayer throughout the week. Doing so is very much a group thing.

Water seeks it's own level. That's a basic law of physics. It's the same way with people. People tend to hang around those who are like themselves.

If like-minded people want to discuss something on this site that, really, is for the common good and enjoyment of other like-minded people, then, in my opinion, is that they should be able to do that - without interruption because of someone who believes differently. Doing things that way helps to enrich the site in many ways and helps to attract members to the site as well as generate income for the site so that it can continue.

Basically, the major religions are covered on this site. Hopefully, others will also follow as far as forum topics being created. Even Wicca is accepted for questions and discussion here.

Please be tolerant and accepting of others here. Doing so, is part of what makes this such a great site!

You might get answers from someone who believes totally differently than you do about spirital matters in a subject in which you really are looking for answers. Just because you and they might not believe the same thing spritually, doesn't mean that they aren't the best ones to provide you with the answers that you seek in any forum topic area.

Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 01:47 AM
    Well your saying it was my mistake for being born and getting raped,abused and teased at school and having mental disorders? It's the life i chose? i chose none of the things that have happed to me.
    Hi again, itsamor!

This thread has nothing to do with what you're trying to debate. Please don't continue to do so.

If you want to start a thread about what you're wanting to debate, please do so on another, appropriate forum topic area that's about what you're wanting to debate.

I can sympantize with what you're wanting to debate and discuss, but this thread isn't the place to do it.

Thanks!

Oct 4, 2009, 04:28 AM

itsamor
    You wrote''he sure doesn't try to help out those who were in love and went and got married just to fight and get divorced and split familys up'' and that's what my reply was about.
    You want to know why those things happened to you and to all of us? It's simply because we and our fathers did not want Him.We did not want Him to rule over us and lead us and protect us .We did not want things His way,we wanted things our way.When He says to do things His way it is not because of His ego but it is because He knows the way to happines and there is no other way except His way.So if I choose another way that will simply lead me away from happiness.
    When you drive you follow the signs and you do stop on a red light.Is the red light on because they want to stop you for no reason or is it on because your life is in danger?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Oct 4, 2009, 04:54 AM
    Adam,
    I don't follow "Him" and my life and those around me who follow the same lifestyle are just fine and happy. It's not worshipping a god or not worshipping a god that makes someone mentally unstable or makes people divorce. How do you explain the high divorce rate then?

Oct 4, 2009, 05:12 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by NeedKarma View Post
    adam,
    I don't follow "Him" and my life and those around me who follow the same lifestyle are just fine and happy. It's not worshipping a god or not worshipping a god that makes someone mentally unstable or makes people divorce. How do you explain the high divorce rate then?
    I say that all kinds of curses that mankind carries is simply because mankind abondened God!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How many marriages [ 7 Answers ]

Hi I would like to ask a question that how many marriages in my life and can u tell me how kids and what will be the name of my wife

Annulled marriages [ 1 Answers ]

How long do you need to be separated for before you can get your marriage annulled is it 3 or 5 years

Courthouse marriages [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am engaged and I wanted to get married in may of next year and me and my fiancé wanted to get married in the courthouse. How do I go about the process?

Legal Marriages [ 2 Answers ]

I want to know in the state of Louisiana, under any law, can a convicted felon marry another convicted felon?

Bi religious marriages. [ 8 Answers ]

I am a Christian guy from the UK working in Pakistan. I have met a Muslim girl and we have fallen in love and would like to get married. Is this possible in Pakistan?

View more questions Search